New Norinco SKS M

Discussion in 'SKS' started by Louis, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Louis

Louis G&G Newbie

Hey everyone
    Just got a new SKS, my first gun. It shoots nice, although the sights need some tweaking. Very little cosmetic damage. It's got this red "fire sight" im not sure I like just yet. Came with a Tasco Red Dot scope. Overall pretty awsome gun. Comments, questions, suggestions always welcome to a FNG.

Attached Files:

2. Pred

Pred Suspended

Nice looking SKS. I'd drop the sight and put one of those Garand type sights on the back of it.
  3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

Had one myself, mine was the thumbhole version. Liked it very much, but traded it for an AK and never looked back. Still love the standard magged SKS though.
  4. Rave

Rave G&G Enthusiast

Might just be me,but I never got one that was really reliable,seems the AK mag works best in an AK.:drive:
  5. BattleRifleG3

Mine was almost blameless with reliability, and I really liked the feel, but the AK was designed for those mags and those rates of fire and I switched to an AK with no regrets.
  6. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

I have a Norinco SKS and absolutely love it. But, it uses the 10-round box mag, and won't accept anything else. When using the 10-rounder, it never ever jams, no matter what ammo I use. Anything else and it jams 60% of the time.

Nice gun, you'll enjoy it :)
  7. Dennis

Dennis G&G Enthusiast

I have had several SKS's and AK's over the years
    I still like my 1956 Sino soviet SKS.
    The SKS with the AK mags are just fine just watch it when you are getting it "hot"
    The wood Gas tube forarm has been known to "burst" in to flame under the right conditions Usually after about 4 or 5 mags fired in quick succession.
    the difference between the SKS and the AK forarms is the AK does not make contact with the Gas tube the SKS does.

and Remember
    as with Motorcycles, Guns, and Women,...
    where there is recriprocating Parts

Lubrication thats the KEY!..........:)
  8. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

I don't use a drop of oil on my SKS. Never have, but I do clean it after everytime I shoot it. I always thought that oil mixed with crud might gum up the firing pin and cause malfunctions. Anyway, my SKS has never failed to shoot, even when firing dry.
  9. BattleRifleG3

You don't want lube anywhere near the firing pin with the exception of something very thin that's more of a cleaner than an oil.

The place you want lube is the rails, and the lube you ultimately want, once everything's clean, is grease.
  10. Louis

Louis G&G Newbie

Really? I received the SKS from the previous owner and found it to be lubed up with a light blue greasy substance. I thought it was lithium grease and promptly removed it. The gun is now lubed with Formula 3 gun conditioner. Should i have left the blue gunk in the gun? :ugh:
    As far as jamming goes I haven't had any real problems. Ive only been using wolf ammo but have heard good things about silver bear. Thanks for all the comments!
  11. Beer Forever

Beer Forever G&G Newbie

I would love to get one of the Norinco Paratroopers. If nothing else, just to add as a collection piece. I see them less often as well as the Albanians, and more and more costly. Hang on to that one!!
  12. BattleRifleG3

Wolf and Silver bear are both fine.

Grease decreases the wear on the gun but due to its ability to collect dust and grit shoudl be cleaned from time to time. You did right to clean it out and add your own lube.
  13. gluemancorey24

gluemancorey24 G&G Newbie

Anyone know where I could purchase an SKS-M???
  14. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

Look on Gunbroker.com.

As for the original post:
    I really like your SKS, but I would likely take the red dot off. I don't like the cheap red dot sights. I had an SKS-M for a little while. It was cool, and I had no problems with reliability. I did have a problem with poor accuracy. But, if yours is accurate, then you have a fine rifle there.
  15. Louis

Louis G&G Newbie

gluemancorey24:
    My SKS was purchased through ar15.com.
    SilverRun:
    I have since installed a TechSight TS100 and do not use the red dot anymore. No complaints on accuracy, although I have not shot farther than 100 yards. Thanks for the feedback!
  16. cgreen

cgreen G&G Newbie

sks stock

Hey louis ,I have a sks M, it has a composite folding stock , would you be interersted in trading stocks with me?
  17. larmus

larmus G&G Newbie

gringo, first off welcome to G&G, hope you enjoy the site... secondly this post is 2 to 3 years old, louis may not be on the site anymore... good luck though.
  18. sv_libertarian

sv_libertarian G&G Newbie

Gringo, I've got a spare SKS-M thumbhole stock (and an SKS-M) I'm toying with trading off. The only problem with the folders on Chinese guns is 922(r) requirements. Also, I'm pretty sure an M stock is worth more than a regular folder :D