New Slant on an Old Topic

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by Ten Man, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

There have been countless iterations of the "which gun for SHTF" theme, but I propose a different situation.

Let's assume that I "over prepared" for the SHTF scenario, and my gun collection could stand to be thinned down, with the funds being used for other things that may be advantageous in the Post SHTF scenario.

Let's also assume that the neighbors will have access to the same firearms that I will have.

I want to narrow it down to FOUR guns and their associated ammo, for myself. I already know the four the wife calls "hers:" AR15 in 5.56MM, Glock 23 in .40 S&W, Mossberg Pump in 12 Gauge, and Ruger Mark II in .22LR. She also calls a S&W Model 66 in .357 Magnum "hers," but only shoots it occasionally.

Keep in mind we live outside of the city, in an agricultural setting that is on gentle rolling terrain. There is not enough wild life in the local area for hunting to be a viable food source, so the guns chosen will be primarily for home/property defense against marauding gangs, jack-booted thugs, and sneaky creeps in the night. We are NOT going to Bug Out, unless the house burns down, or imminent, overwhelming source of death is headed directly at us.

These are the calibers and firearm actions you have to choose from. Assume they are all the best quality, most durable, highest capacity, and most accurate examples currently on the market, with all the necessary accessories and ammo already in inventory. The rest will probably be liquidated.

Which FOUR (TOTAL), any combination of Long guns and/or Hand guns, do you pick to keep for SHTF and the future?

LONG GUNS
    .45-70 Lever
    .45 Colt Lever
    .44 Magnum Lever and Bolt
    .357 Magnum Lever
    .30-06 Semi-Auto and Bolt
    .308 Semi-Auto and Bolt
    30-30 Lever
    7.62x39 Semi-Auto
    5.56/.223 Semi-Auto and Bolt
    .22 Magnum Bolt
    .22 LR Lever, Semi-Auto, and Bolt
    12 gauge Semi-Auto and Pump

HAND GUNS
    .45 Colt Revolver SA and DA
    .45 ACP Semi-Auto and Revolver DA
    .44 Magnum Revolver SA and DA
    .44 Special Revolver SA and DA
    10 MM Semi-Auto
    .40 S&W Semi-Auto
    .357 Magnum Revolver SA and DA
    9 MM Semi-Auto
    .38 Special Revolver DA
    .380 AUTO Semi-Auto
    .22 LR Semi-Auto and Revolver SA and DA

Brand names are not important, because there are several of each to choose from. If you wish to name a Brand, please specify what criteria made you choose that brand.

Please keep your picks from this list, only.
  2. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

Your .308 "10", .22 semi., .45 auto. and .22 auto.
  3. Mantrid_Brizon

Mantrid_Brizon G&G Newbie

Excluding your wife's firearms, you should keep...

The 7.62x39mm semi-auto for medium range
    The .22LR semi-auto for short-range CQB (as well as a cheap suppressing fire option during retreat)
    The 9mm semi-auto to be utilized as a primary sidearm
    Then finally pick either the .45 ACP semi-auto, or (my favorite) the .38 special DA revolver as a secondary sidearm. Everything else can probably go. The .357 Magnum DA/SA revolver would probably be a better choice for ammo compatibility and durability in the long-term though.
  4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

357 Lever action, 357 DA revolver, 12 ga. pump, 5.56 semi-auto.
  5. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

12 GA.
    .556 /.223 SA Carbine.
    .308 SA Carbine.
  6. waterdog

waterdog G&G Newbie

I'm kinda simple on these things but i know a a standard rifel (high powered) and a carbine ( 5.56/.223 7.62x 39/ 5.45 x39 or .30-30 ) and .22lr with a shotgun will get you through just about anything you will run into in a bad sitituation, I tend to leave handguns to the last resort or HOLLYWOOD.
  7. chesterwin

I differ with the opinion on handguns, but that's just my opinion. LOL!
  8. waterdog

waterdog G&G Newbie

Stand 30 to 50 yards away and your opinion will change, that being said inside 30yards you "could" and I do mean "could" be close to right , however I'll take a carbine or shotgun, with the utmost confidence.
  9. Erickson

Erickson G&G Enthusiast

1. The 30'06/.308 for medium to long range, I am torn between the semi and the bolt option, I envision its use as a precision instrument so whichever you are better with.

2. Your 40S&W for a primary sidearm, assuming you have multiple, this allows use of one sidearm ammo type between you and your wife. If only one 40S&W then I would say the 10mm allowing you to store only 1 diameter of bullet if reloading is something you think you might do in SHTF.

3. The 12 gauge pump, same assumption as above allowing common ammunition. If you only have one pump then take the Semi, if you have two pumps go that route.

4. This one I have struggled with and my answer does and does not meet your 4 gun quota requirement. IF your wife plans to keep and use the 357 then keep your 357 lever. IF not then go with whichever of your 22lr rifles you are most proficient with.

That is my $0.02
  10. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

I got some others at remote places.
  11. chesterwin

Modus operandi
  12. Lightweight

Lightweight G&G Enthusiast

both the .308 semi, and the .308 bolt (I assume the semi is open sights, and the bolt is scoped), the .357 revolver, and the 12 gauge.
  13. Mantrid_Brizon

Mantrid_Brizon G&G Newbie

You get to learn a lot about people by the types of weapons they choose.
  14. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Interesting. Interesting!

I like Mantrid_Brizon's comment. It certainly speaks volumes.

It looks like we ALL agree on 12 gauge shot guns. (That will make Barry smile.)

We have multiple pump guns, and a SAIGA 12 semi-auto. We also have them in double barrel SxS and OU configurations. I am a BIG fan of 12 gauge shot guns for close work.

Since the wife has a Mossberg 12 gauge pump gun, I would probably go with the SAIGA 12, because it has five 12 round magazines with it. I would keep a Mossberg 590 Pump 12 gauge as a spare.

The jury is still out on the other three gun choices. We don't seem to have a consensus on the rifle and hand gun choices.

Everyone on G&G knows, as Chesterwin pointed out, I am partial to my AR10s. They have two uppers for each lower; a 20" scoped flat top upper, and a 16" A2 carbine upper. The scoped Armalite uppers are very accurate (1 MOA at 600 yards, with me at the trigger). The carbine uppers are just as compact as an AR15, and have a LOT more punch. Since we are not planning on going anywhere, the ammo weight is not a real big factor.

The wife and I each currently carry Glock 23s in 40S&W, plus we have spares. But we have carried the same guns in .45 ACP, and 9MM as well, and still have those. In the case of SHTF, is it better for us to diversify or have the same hand gun? Which caliber? Semi-autos are great for ammo capacity, but stainless steel revolvers are durable. Tough choice.

Same with semi-auto versus bolt action rifles. Do I keep the stainless steel bolt action .30-06, or the M1 Garand? The stainless steel or blued bolt action .308 or the M1A? Or the AR10 with two uppers, in .308? Which .22LR? The blued Henry lever, or the Ruger stainless steel bolt action, or the Ruger stainless steel 10/22? Is it better to have a .22 rifle or a .22 pistol?

My head is spinning! I like them ALL! That is why I bought them in the first place. LOL
  15. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

I got the AR10 in .308, and the .45 ACP semi-auto pistol.

Which .22 semi and .22 auto are you referring to? Rifle or pistol or one of each?
  16. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Was the .22LR semi-auto the rifle? (To go with wife's .22LR pistol?)

Why 9MM sidearm over the 45 ACP or 40 S&W? Wife already has a .357 Magnum in her choice. Is it better to have the same guns or diversify?

Why only medium range semi-auto rifle? There are .30-06 and .308 available in both semi-auto military style, and bolt action. Would it not be better to have a long range rifle that could be used medium or close, rather than a medium range range rifle that can not be used long range?
  17. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Why did you pick the .357 Magnum over the .44 Magnum or .45 Colt in the same configurations?

You think we should both have 12 gauge pumps and AR15s? We have a SAIGA 12, too. We have .223 bolt action rifles available, as well.
  18. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Ah, a man after my own heart!

That is my current Grab and Go (G&G) weapon bag configuration, except the .308 is a combo scoped 20" and 16" carbine AR10 (two uppers).

That does not mean I am not willing to change it if folks can convince me with sound reasoning.

Which .45 did you mean? ACP or Colt? Semi-auto, SA revolver, or DA revolver, or lever carbine? I currently have the Glock 21 in the G&G bag.

12 gauge pump or semi-auto SAIGA?
  19. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Enthusiast

I'd pick what ever caliber I had the most ammo or reloading components to support it.
  20. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Enthusiast

Hey Ten Man, How's it going? I was stationed at Fairchild AFB near Spokane, WA and absolutely loved the area.