New Tennessee Dog Law: No Pit Bulls!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Brother Bob, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I'm quite distressed over this new law before the TN. Legislative body. The total ban of "pit bulls", state wide. As usual, the government is over-reaching their responsibilities to the public. I own two pit bulls and I assure you that it's all on how they are raised. Like guns, the owner is who's to blame 99% of the time! An idiot with a gun is just as dangerous as an idiot with a pit bull. We can't target all idiots so the best way to handle the problem is to ban all guns and pit bulls?????????? What's next???? German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Chows, ......... chainsaws, baseball bats, axes, knives, garden hoes, ice picks, bowling balls,..............:hitwithrock:
  2. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Bro. Bob What are you going to do ? And I'm sorry for you, we get attached to our pets as if they were our children.
    Will it be grandfather in, that the current owners of pit bulls can keep them ?
    A.H
  3. Brother Bob

I don't know, A.H.???? I'll move to Mississippi(3 miles, south) before I give up my dogs! Tennessee is "Nanny State" in the making!
  4. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Good Luck to you. Mike
  5. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I can't believe it!! A nanny state in the South?? Did you guys notice the infiltration of those who want to run your lives? We didn't see it Ca. until it was too late. Most of the people in office there are from elsewhere. It's a rotten situation when they tell you what kind of dog you can have for a pet!
  6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I am for eliminating Pit Bulls as they have proven to be dangerous animals. I have had to shoot one of these in the past because of a potential attack. Now that I am a parent I will not let my son around one of these unpredictable animals
  7. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

Pit bulls? nNo I dont have any Pit bulls mine dogs are Staford Terriors.
  8. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Enthusiast

Well, in dogs, even ones classified as "vicious", you can get some real sweeties. We, however, must remember how and what each of the breed is bred for.

Pit Bull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Mastiff type dogs also have a long history in England; they are thought to have been brought by the Celts. It is also known that the Normans introduced the Alaunt. These dogs were used in battle and for guarding, but they also served utilitarian purposes, such as farm work. Specifically, these dogs accompanied farmers into the fields to assist with bringing bulls in for breeding, castration, or slaughter. The dogs, known generally as bulldogs, protected the farmer by subduing the bull if it attempted to gore him. Typically a dog would do this by biting the bull on the nose and holding on until the bull submitted. Bulldogs were bred to have powerful, muscular bodies and the resolve to hold onto a violently struggling bull despite injury. These traits permitted the development and rise of the bloody sports of bull-baiting and bear-baiting. In Elizabethan England, these spectacles were popular forms of entertainment. However, in 1835, bull-baiting and bear-baiting were abolished by Parliament as cruel, and the custom died out over the following years.
    The sport of dog fighting, which could be carried out under clandestine measures, blossomed. Since Bulldogs proved too ponderous and uninterested in dog fighting, the Bulldogs were crossed to English White and Black and Tan Terriers. They were also bred to be intelligent and level-headed during fights and remain non-aggressive toward their handlers. Part of the standard for organized dog-fighting required that the match referee who is unacquainted with the dog be able to enter the ring, pick up a dog while it was engaged in a fight, and get the respective owner to carry it out of the ring without being bitten. Dogs that bit the referee were culled."

I just wanted to bring out that specific area. There is more history on it as well in other places. In order to remove SOME behaviors, you just about have to breed them out. I'm not for them making a LAW against having Pit Bulls, but I am giving on info on why alot of times they get bad rap. My wife is scared of animals in general so I couldn't have a dog even if I near begged for one. :sad2:
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  9. Brother Bob

Unpredictable? I respectfully disagree. I've worked the streets longer than you've been alive. I too, have had to kill 3 dogs that were trying to kill me. None of them were the breeds that are on the "hit list". People are more unpredictable than dogs. So let's ban all guns and sharp objects because of the unpredictable nature of Homo Sapiens! I own two pit bulls and I assure you that they have never acted the least bit aggressive towards any family members. That includes kids and grandkids. Any dog can become vicious due to neglect and/or training. So can your child! All I can say is never own any pet with teeth, Shaun. Get an aquarium and put Goldfish in it. I've never heard of Goldfish every attacking a human. Life is full of risk. We can reduce risk through education, but we can't eliminate it. There has probably been more people killed by lightning than by dogs. Don't fall for the media bias. You won't read about someone being mauled by a Cocker Spaniel, but you will if it's a pit bull. I'm not going to allow the media and government decide what's best for me and you shouldn't either. Three people have died from black bear attacks in Tennesse. Your logic would dictate the elimination of black bears in the interest of public safety. Be careful about letting government dictate your freedom of choice. Your guns may be next.....
  10. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Enthusiast

The OWNERS are what makes the dogs... Any dog is capable of injury.. When my smallest son was two years old, my beautiful golden retreiver nearly took his eye out in an unprovoked attack.. No reason whatsoever. I bought the dog as a pup because of their reputation as a family dog. Maybe just a rotten apple??? I now have a 90lb black Lab, a 15lb miniature schnauzer, and a 2lb chihuahua, all sweethearts, and all best buddies.:kiss:
  11. SuckLead

SuckLead G&G Newbie

Good for you! I always wonder about these people in other states with similar laws that ended up requiring the dogs to be destroyed and they actually let them take their dogs. I don't care how little money I had, I would do something to get out of there and save the life of my best friend.
  12. Brother Bob

Our kids are grown and these are my wife and my babies. They love us, unconditionally and never break our heart. Thanks.
  13. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

They try that one with monotonous regularity in California, and just as regularly it goes down in flames. Even a state that's willing to tangle with gun owners backs off when it comes face-to-face with dog lovers...
  14. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

I'm not for the gov't saying what we can or can't own, but almost every day somewhere, a child or elderly person is hurt or killed by a so-called "pit bull". I've seen it personally and know the background of the dog intimately-she was literally a family member but she snapped one day, pulled away from my brother, jumped a fence, killed two other dogs, and held their owner hostage on her back porch until the cops arrived. Guns don't kill on their own, a vicious dog will. Why everyone chooses to ignore the facts on these dogs baffles me. How many near-identical reports of kids being mauled or killed do you have to read to finally realize that these dogs might be mentally unstable due to all of the in\inter-breeding?
  15. Brother Bob

My dogs are not the pit bulls that you imagine when you think of one. Both are AKC registered American Staffordshire Terriors. No inbreeding! I didn't pick these dogs up in an inner-city alley-way.
  16. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

Toolman, back when I was a kid all the horror stories in the news about dog-maulings involved German Shepherds. Twenty years later it was Doberman Pinschers, and after that Rottweilers. Now it's pit bulls.

You can't outlaw breed after breed of dog, just because it's the latest fashionable dog for scumbags to raise wrong and not keep control over.
  17. Brother Bob

Thank you Troy. The Presa Canario is the new breed that the bad folks want. I read up a little on them. They would eat a pit bull. A lady in California got killed by one not too long ago?????? Made big news. I'd never heard of that breed before. Thanks again.
  18. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

Well, I can see the logic behind the law they passed, but I don't agree with it. I am against Government involvement in these type issue. I see the slippery slope that these laws are on. I think a good compromise would be to simply make the owners civilly and criminally liable for the actions of there dog. If they choose not take due diligence to train or control their dog- then they take their chances.

I am not a huge fan of pit bulls, but I have had more problems with Rottweilers. Those dogs are crazy!
  19. SuckLead

SuckLead G&G Newbie

I had to look them up. A neighbor of mine back in NJ had one of those, I always thought it was a pit. Huh.

I have known a lot of people who owned pits. I have heard of only one that apparently "snapped" and his owner had to shoot it. The neighbor I just spoke of had two, the one I thought was a pit, and one I know was part pit and part german shephard. The last one being the sweetest dog I had ever met. Until the guy started training both dogs to attack a dummie. The cops were always out at that house.

But I've met pits who give "hugs" to everyone that comes in the house. Heck, when I ran my business we had a big old pit named Ceasar that watched over the store, and that dog was afraid of his own shadow. He spent more time under the table than anything else. But he was right next to us if voices went over a certain volume and he wouldn't move. Most of my friends now have pits. Still, only one of them I've known personally has "snapped."

It is sort of like guns. You hear all the stories about the gang bangers and the f^%$ ups that shoot up schools and malls, but you rarely hear the story about the old lady who saved her grandchild from being kidnapped or the man who saved his own life during a mugging gone wrong. Same with pits. They scream the bad stories from the rooftops, but you never see stories about the good. Just like the media and government want to "stop crime" but punishing the law abiding gun owners, the media and governement are also trying to "stop animal cruelty" by attempting to rid themselves of dog breeds.

And I'm sorry, but it won't stop there. I got my first dog around the time the German Shephards were being demonized. My dog was a little 20 lb terrier, but she had the exact markings of a German Shephard. And even at 15 years old, people demonized this sweet tiny animal because, even with a face full of grays, they were convinced she was a German Shephard puppy and would be "vicious." We had complaints filed by neighbors who were afraid for their children apparently (and didn't seem to notice she hadn't grown at all in several years. And all complaints were dropped when other neighbors helped come to her defense by saying she wasn't vicious and wasn't a shephard) and when we moved appartment complexes wouldn't take her. So where does the breed banning end?
  20. Brother Bob

I don't know when all this nonsense will end, but I truly thank you for your support. My wife is really upset and has been hugging the dogs all day. It's sad. Truly sad.