Newbie looking for advice on ammo, maintenance

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Kromey, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Kromey

Kromey G&G Newbie

Hello all, my first post on this forum. :newbie:

I'm going to be buying my first handgun within the next couple of months. I've pretty much settled in on the Glock G22, a .40 S&W handgun, although I may still switch to a 9mm, in that case the Glock G17. I'm buying for defense purposes, but I also intend to have some fun shooting targets (and, of course, what good does it do me for defense if I don't practice with it?); it also needs to be suitable for my fiancée to fire as well, which is why I've discounted the more powerful calibers (at least for this first purchase).

Anyway, the caliber/make of firearm isn't the point of this post, although input on that is still appreciated. What I'm more looking for right now is what a first-time handgun buyer needs to know -- not from the legal standpoint (already done my homework there) but in terms of ammo, maintenance, et cetera.

For example, from what I've read a hollow-point round is probably my best bet for a defense ammunition, but what about general target practice? I would imagine, for example, that a full metal jacket round would be a "cleaner" round to fire (in terms of gunk left behind in the barrel that needs to be cleaned out) than the softer lead, but does the harder metal produce more wear? (Obviously if I choose a different type of ammo for target practice than for defense I will practice with both types, just use the "practice" ammo more frequently, especially for casual plinking.)

Also, what will I need for maintenance? Obviously a cleaning kit (which I understand Glocks include), but I've also seen "benchmats" for sale -- is that something I'll need, and if so (or even if not) what is it for? Will the gun's owner's manual include everything I need to know to properly maintain my firearm? Also tips on proper storage would be appreciated -- I'd assume low-moisture environment, but don't know about recommended temperatures, for example.

I'm not new to shooting -- I've fired a variety of rifles and shotguns, and have earned NRA Expert Marksman for the .22 pistol -- but I have never owned a firearm nor been responsible for cleaning or maintaining any firearm (beyond ensuring the weapon is cleared and properly stored within a safe). As such, I'm trying to learn all I can before I commit to such an investment, especially how to protect it and ensure I get the most out of it.

I would also appreciate suggestions for necessary (or highly recommended) accessories for a first-time gun owner; I do happen to have a tactical flashlight, as well as eye and ear protection, but that's it.
  2. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

First, welcome to GunandGame.com.

As to ammo, you will want a good high quality hollow point like Federal Hydroshock, Speer Golddot, etc. for defense use. Any FMJ from a reputable company will work for practice. You can't use lead bullets in a Glock - not that you would want to anyway. They make a bigger mess to clean. The copper coated FMJ is softer than the metal in your barrel and will not hurt it. Its made for that. As to cleaning, get a can of CLP and that should do you. It will clean pretty good and keep things lubed well enough for casual use.
  3. Kromey

Kromey G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info!

So keeping in mind that Glocks can't shoot lead, I'm assuming then that I would have to use jacketed hollow point as oppose to lead hollow point. I've also heard of (but can't recall the proper name for) a midway point between FMJ and lead, a "partial metal jacket" -- would those work in a Glock? Or is that too much exposed lead to fire safely?

I'm also assuming that most if not all of this information could be found in the owner's manual, but I want to know as much as possible before I buy, so sorry for all the questions that could be answered by simply RTFM.
  4. shooter1

shooter1 G&G Newbie

Glock care

The exposed lead can be shot out of your glock but I'm not sure you will find lots of offerings in this type of bullet. Most avalible types sutiable for Glocks are Full Metal Jacket "FMJ" Or Hollowpoints, I would also get a Pistol cleaning kit such as hoppies or outers, I prefer brass cleaning rods.

Just remember glocks don't Like lead.

Your manual will have all the necessary info to tear down and reassemble your pistol.

Shooter
  5. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

As for the cleaning kit, you don't need much. A standard set of supplies looks like this:

A bottle of cleaner like Hoppes #9,
    A light weight oil like 3 in 1,
    A rod and brass brush in your caliber for the bore,
    Patches,
    A toothbrush/brass cleaning brush
  6. woody1981

woody1981 Love Your Firearms! Forum Contributor

Welcome to the forum.
  7. Kromey

Kromey G&G Newbie

Thanks for the information and the welcomes, everyone! :)

The Glock comes with a cleaning kit -- is that going to be sufficient, or should I still buy a separate one?
  8. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

aall you need for a cleaning kit is something similar to a chop stick to run a paper towel through the barrel with solution on it (long wooden or plastic stick)

maybe a few q tips, an old tooth brush, and a small wire brush

you could buy a cleaning kit, but you dont need all that, it just makes it a little easier
  9. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

haha, I have cleaned like that. Making do with a dowl and a piece of t-shirt. Good stuff.

I would not buy a cleaning kit at all. Just pick stuff up as you need it. The kit it comes with should have enough to keep it running.
  10. Kromey

Kromey G&G Newbie

Awesome, thanks for the info everyone!
  11. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

pretty much
  12. BORIS

BORIS Suspended

Get a bore snake, a bottle of CLP, and use Qtips to clean the easy to wipe carbon. Use a wooden toothpick to scrape off the harder carbon. Wipe it clean with an old (clean) sock or tshirt and the CLP left over after wiping it off will be more than enough lube for a GLOCK..

Been Cleaning my GLOCKs like that ever since I had my first one........
  13. franchi

franchi G&G Newbie

but a OTIS kit for your pistol, that and some hoppes#9. rem oil is fine for a lube.
  14. TeeRex

TeeRex G&G Newbie

I have a boresnake that fits every gun I have, I love them. I'm a fan of CLP as well.