Newbie Question: Why hunt coyote?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by DEADROOTS, Feb 5, 2009.

1. DEADROOTS

DEADROOTS G&G Newbie

When it comes to coyote hunting, what do I do with the thing after it has been killed? I don't want to pelt it. What are the reasons people hunt coyote? What do you guys do with them?
  2. SmallGame2100

SmallGame2100 Suspended

Some people hunt coyotes for the pelts.
    Maybe they are pests to some people.
    Others may enjoy the rush.

If you have nothing to do with it, take a picture and give a proper burial. Or else, dont kill it.
  3. 99z28monster

99z28monster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Reasons I can think of are Pelts,population control, getting into livestock, and fun. I wouldnt suggest eating them however you can.

What you can do is ask around and find someone willing to take them off your hands so they can use them as pelts or as bait for other hunting.
    As far as what I do with them is leave them where they fell down. I have only killed them so far because they got into my chickens. Other than that I would pelt what I wanted and do as I suggested to you with what I didnt want.
  4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The pelts are only good when prime,(nov,dec) which is why I only trap/hunt in this period except for ones that are bothering livestock.In jan.the pelt is showing rub marks,so it isnt very valuable.Some have a natural instinct to hunt/kill and coyotes,when classed as varmints aswage this hunter/killer instinct that all of us have to some extent.Coyotes will kill pets and game animals,not just for food,but also for protecting their territory and fun.They aren't much different than the human varmints that hunt them when it is all said and done.They hunt for food,protect hunting range,and fun.I like to restrict it to pelt value and nuisance value. sam.
  5. DEADROOTS

DEADROOTS G&G Newbie

Thanks fellas
  6. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

do it to protect the poor innocent deer, coyotes are fawn killing machines.
  7. leroy

leroy G&G Newbie

poor innocent deer? r u serious?
  8. Jack Dundin

Jack Dundin G&G Newbie

Shoot, shovel, forget and repeat.
  9. 99z28monster

99z28monster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Man thats a lot of work for a coyote. Do you actually bury them?
  10. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

I wouldn't^^^ leave em as bait for other yotes...just saying although i have very little experience lol
  11. Jack Dundin

Jack Dundin G&G Newbie

No, I usually let them lay. Sometimes I might cut off there tails and slam them I my tail gate and let them flap in the wind
  12. Bugflpper

Bugflpper G&G Newbie

Personally I don't mess with the pelts. For me it's just predation to protect my livestock. So I do nothing with them, just dispatch.
  13. nra_guns_winner

nra_guns_winner G&G Newbie

I shot many a few years ago, when I lived in the sticks. I shot them because I worked late (2nd shift) and they would wake me up at night. I didn't do anything with them just got rid of the noise makers.
  14. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

I haven't skinned out a coyote for it's pelt since I have moved down here to Vegas. I shoot them and leave em. If your area has a bounty on them they may request that you bring a set of ears in. They did that in Toole, UT when they had a problem with coyote. If I were living in a colder climate and it was during the fur bearing season I would skin them out. Around here they might bring $15 a pelt. Hardly worth the hassle in my book.
  15. SmallGame2100

SmallGame2100 Suspended

Would make a nice rug in front of a christmas fire :)
  16. Cross Hair

Cross Hair G&G Newbie

I just leave em' stinkin' where they lay. Coyotes will scavenge each other too, so you would have a new bait pile. A freind of mines wife found a recipe for coyote and they said they would try it... I don't know if I would eat one unless survival mode. Heck guess Ive tried about everything else... Still I'm not sure would have to make the call I guess after it was cooked! I heard pelts were going for 30-40 bucks around here, but with all the 16hr shifts and crazy hours and not to mention the weather, I havent hunted yotes yet this year sad to say!

We always say we are going to start nailing them to an old barn down in the riverbottoms but we rarely even cut the tails anymore.
  17. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I don't think the pelts are worth much in warm states.I know beever wasn't in Georgia.They bore holes in earthen dams and I used to get paid to exterminate them. sam.
  18. Cross Hair

Cross Hair G&G Newbie

They keep me in practice with hunting & shooting skills. I dont much mind the feral barn cats they get, but it gives me a good reason to go after coyotes! "You will leave my barn cats alone!" LOL
  19. JET1

JET1 Suspended

Its good hunting practice farmers are happy about controling them good practice skinning them and the neibours kid gets all excited when you give him some pelts to tan
  20. shop tom

shop tom G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Had one cross the street about 40 yds from me on early AM (I was going out to get the papar) a year or so ago.

Another one ran across the road in front of my car 2 months ago.

Both within about 100 yds of my house.

tom