Non-Service Standard but in Service

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by twtalbot, Apr 14, 2010.

1. twtalbot

twtalbot G&G Newbie

I forgot which thread it was in, but I recall a member posting a pic of the 1911 purchased by his unit (101st Airborne, I believe) and someone else mentioned units purchasing commercial M14s. I know that in the distant past, it wasn't unusual for servicemen(especially officers) who could afford it, to carry personally owned weapons on duty. I was fascinated by this and it raised a few questions:

Are these weapons being purchased officially, or are the servicemen using their own money to buy these weapons?

Are the weapons personal property or are they on the books?

What is the policy now on personally owned weapons? A friend who was in the 256th infantry bde 1988-1992 told me that he wasn't allowed to carry anything non-issue, not even a pocketknife or multi-tool (he was an engineer).

What is the lowest level where non-Service Standard weapons can be purchased or a policy allowing personally owned weapons can be made-Corps? Division?, Brigade? Battalion? Company?
  2. doctor rizz

doctor rizz G&G Newbie

Way back a lot of armies, would allow the officers to buy their own pistols. World War II guys would have their own pistols send to them. Vietnam I have heard stories of snipers buying there own scopes for weapons. I think that after Vietnam, mostly, that they stop letting them get their POWs (Privately Owned Weapons). That is kinda weird that your friend couldn't have his own knife or muti-tool, I know that is still allowed.
  3. twtalbot

twtalbot G&G Newbie

4. twtalbot

twtalbot G&G Newbie

His company was stricter than the Army required them to be on a lot of things and the way he explained it, the FSGT said he couldn't carry a pockteknife because the Army issued everything he was supposed to have, and they didn't issue him a knife.
  5. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Enthusiast

6. twtalbot

twtalbot G&G Newbie

"...with the written permission of the Battalion Commander it was authorized for use as..."
    So, apparently, permission for personal weapons/modifications can be given at the battalion level?
  7. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Enthusiast

"My PMOS is 18B and SMOS is 11B "

Only for troops such as those who are already allowed to use non standard equipment which the military provides for the purposes of unconventional missions and/or field testing.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/18b.htm
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

The guy was probably talking about a "unit buy" where they order pistols or such directly from the factory at a great discount. Usually with the unit patch and such engraved on them. We handle 2 or 3 of the buys each year. And by the way, Customs can seize any equipment from you if it is not unit issue.