Norinco model 213 9mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by offroader1994, Oct 31, 2007.

1. offroader1994

offroader1994 G&G Newbie

Found a deal i think on a norinco model 213 9mm. the guy wants 90 for it. does anybody know anything about these guns?
  2. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

I think it's a steal, offroader. If you don't want it, PM me the guy's address and I'll buy it from him.

A 213 is a Chinese-made Tokarev made for the civilian market, in 9mm instead of the original 7.62x25 and with an added thumb safety. I have one I bought unused in the box, on consignment at a gun shop. It had years of gritty dust filtered all through it, so it must have been stored in a garage or something...I paid two hundred for it.

I like mine. But I disabled the thumb safety on it, because it works backwards. It's on when it's forward, and jumps up there by itself while you're firing. Nothing more infuriating than pulling a trigger for a second or third shot and finding out you're on safety...

It has a half-cock position; that and good sense is what the Russians originally used for a safety. And I don't chamber a round until I'm getting ready to fire, anyway.

The 213 is based on the Tokagypt, which was manufactured by the Hungarians for the Egyptian Army; the Army gave them to the police instead.

I like mine. It goes "bang" quite reliably, and seems to shoot decent groups. It's also easy to field-strip and clean. But the sights are small, and it shoots way high. I've thought of putting a ghost-ring set-up on it. No one makes one specifically for Tokarev's that I know of, but I could probably come up with one that would work with a little minor gunsmithing.
  3. offroader1994

offroader1994 G&G Newbie

what ammo do you shoot through the norinco 213? 9mm luger or the 9mm markov 9x18mm, 9mm steyr?
  4. gunney_m

gunney_m Suspended

Get it get it get it!!!!
  5. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

213's take the 9mm Luger, offroader. That's one reason I bought mine; the stuff is the most available ammo in the world or close to it, it seems.

By the way, they come in two configurations. All Tokarevs are manufactured with a 9x25 magazine well. For the 9mm version they use a different barrel; plus some have a spacer in the well and narrower magazines, and others use a full-size magazine with a spacer inside each magazine. Be sure which setup you have, before ordering spare magazines.

Supposedly converting from 9x25 to 9mm Luger is easy. I haven't done it myself, but some people online say they just change out the barrel and use the full-sized mags anyway. Going the other way isn't quite as easy, I've read. One or two places online have said the sear/trigger assembly is modified in the 213's for the 9mm, and you should change it out too if converting from 9mm to 7.62x25.

That's one of the neat things about the Tokarevs; that whole assembly is modular, and you can lift it right out when you field-strip the gun. It makes repairs under battlefield conditions a lot easier; if something breaks you pop the old assembly out, stick in a new one and you're good to go, instead of having to take little-bitty pieces apart to replace a spring, firing pin or whatever.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  6. mud duck

mud duck G&G Newbie

norinco 9mm

I have to agree i like mine to I got mine from a dealer brandnew in box i use the lugger shells to

model 213
  7. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

do it do it do it

while the 7.62x25 is more desirable, the cheapest ive seen those handguns go for is around 180 dollars
  8. f4upilot

f4upilot G&G Newbie

model 213 9x19 ksi pamona

I am trying to fix constant jamming after 1 or 2 rounds.Don't know anything about this piece.It is my #1 son's. How can I tell "narrow" mag from wide?I suspect the mag is the culprit..cartridge jams at a 45dg angle. I'm good (or was) with 20mm cannons...not this pistol. Help!!!:feedback:
  9. AnaxImperator

AnaxImperator G&G Newbie

$90 is a steal, even if it's a little rough 'round the edges. Snag it!

While 7.62x25 FMJ certainly has penetration (able to punch through steel & kevlar helmets, and Lvl. II body-armor), it's far too hot for self-defense. The Wolf JHP rounds are a bit better, but they still may punch straight through if clogged with clothing. And don't get me started on the MagSafe cartridges. :rolleyes:

The 9mm is definitely a better choice for self-defense, the ammo is cheaper; $10/50rd box of Blazer FMJ, $25/20rd box of Federal 124gr. HydraShok vs. $15-$20 per 50rd box of Winchester FMJ or $20-$25 per 50rd box of Wolf JHP; and there's a huge variety of 9mm Parabellum self-defense cartridges to choose from if you don't want the expensive JHPs. Granted, milsurp 7.62x25 ammo is currently dirt-cheap online, but I've yet to find a local dealer who carries it.

Troy2000 has it right.

There is another possibility, but I doubt it's a double-stack magazine; IIRC the high-cap mags won't fit into standard 8rd 213 mag wells.... and the 12rd Norinco 213s are fairly rare from what I've learned.

I've looked very closely at my 7.62x25 Radom Wz48 and 9mm Norinco 213, and as far as I can tell, they have the exact same sear/trigger assembly. The only differences are the magazine-well spacer and slide.

FYI, another option instead of going to 7.62 is to up the ante to 9x23 Winchester. All that's needed is a 9mm barrel, a slide with the larger 7.62x25 ejection port, a standard 7.62 magazine, and to have the chamber reamed to 9x23Win. In the way of terminal ballistics, that particular cartridge offers nearly as much as a .357 Mag, and the Tokarev has more than enough strength to handle the load.
    It's been done by a few guys on the Gunsnet Tokarev forum with no issues, and I plan on doing it with a spare 9mm barrel. :smirk:
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  10. dairyman36

dairyman36 G&G Newbie

model 213 9mm

offroader buy it, that's a steal. I had to buy my model 213 9mm, very nice gun in the original box mint condition. i paid $150 with holster.
  11. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

I have one and it's fun to take to the range. It does have more muzzle jump than any other 9mm I've shot. It has never jammed or malfunctioned in any way. I wouldn't carry it for self defense but at $90 it's a steal.
  12. ariz

ariz G&G Newbie

get it sir. i recently bought mine, converted to present rate US dollars, its around $197 brand new. it comes with a case, cleaning rod, & an extra mag.

its not a bad shooter sir if you get used to its limitations (akward safety, weight, etc..)

[​IMG]
    this is a pix of my first shot with it out of the box. range is around 15 feet. ammo used: 9mm lead reload. slow fire.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  13. thumperpaul

thumperpaul G&G Newbie

I have a brand new Norinco M213 on order from CanadaAmmo.com. Cost: only $99 (with tax and S&H, $133.) This will be the first handgun I've ever owned; I carry the old Smith and Wesson Model 10 at work. We will be transitioning to the S&W M&P .40 cal within the year, so I figured that owning my own semi auto pistol will get me more familiar with the different action. Plus, I can't say no to that price for a brand new pistol!!!!!!!
  14. The Survivalist

The Survivalist G&G Newbie

I recently ordered this from Mark at Canadaammo.. its been almost 3 months since I have ordered it. Out of curiosity how long did yours take to get?
  15. Pilot

Pilot G&G Newbie

Back when I had my FFL I bought one for my own use.
    If you can get one of these for $90 I would buy it in an instant.
    The one I have came with two Megs if you can get it with two Megs than you are doing very good. The pistol itself is 100% reliable, it's a bit crude looking but high quality in terms of hardiness. I think it's a copy of the Tokarev pistol but Chinese made. It's a single action like the M1911. Fairly accurate to mean that its more accurate than I can shoot, that for the average shooter would mean as good as they are, if you are within 10 meters of your target and you shoot into its middle you will hit its middle, if you really had the sights on the middle. :)
    14 round magazine...
    The only question I have is parts if I ever need them, which is how I got to these place, I got curios about the pistol and did a Google search and here I am by accident.
    Nice to meet you all.
  16. canukistanman

canukistanman G&G Newbie

Norinco M213 9mm Problems

:feedback: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Just took my brand new $99CDN (plus tax and shipping) Norinco M213 9mm to the range today and was very disappointed with its performance. The first round (Winchester 118 GR FMJ) didn't feed properly and the gun jammed. I cleared the round and let the slide go forward to chamber the next round from the mag. It also didn't chamber properly.

By this point in time, I was ready to throw the piece of Chinese junk into a snowbank and let it into the barrel. I cleared the second round, removed the mag, re-inserted it with a little more force and let the slide come forward to pick up the round from the mag. This time it worked. After empything the first mag I replaced it with a full one and let the slide go forward. Same thing again, the round didn't seat properly in the chamber. I then cleared the round, emptied the mag and put the piece of junk in my carrying case, after which I pulled out my Para-Ordnance 1911 Limited .45 and proceeded to vent my anger all over the target board.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be? I have a firm two-handed grip so I know the probelm can't be a weak grip.
  17. thumperpaul

thumperpaul G&G Newbie

Could it be the ammo? My buddy told me he fired off about 100 rounds of Fiocchi (not sure of the grain) in his 213 with only one stovepipe jam. Other than that, it performed flawlessly. I can't see Winchester making faulty rounds though...I would return your 213 and either get a new one, or a refund. (I think Norinco has a one year warranty on their products.)
  18. canukistanman

canukistanman G&G Newbie

Back in the Pink With My $99 Norinco M213 9mm

I finally figured out what the jamming problem was with my new Norinco M213 9mm - the feeder ramp had to be sanded a bit to make it smoother so the bullet feeds properly into the barrel.

I used a 5" piece of 1/4" dowling, and wrapped a 4" wide strip of 400 grade sandpaper (the kind used for sanding cars) around it, then worked the paper in the direction of the barrel for about 20 minutes (I changed the paper about 6 times).

I then used 600 grade paper with and a dab of light gun oil for about 5 minutes to finish the smoothing job. Make sure you sand in the direction of the barrel, i.e, parallel to the barrel and don't rub too hard. All you want to do is smooth the feeder ramp machine marks, not eradicate them.
  19. canukistanman

canukistanman G&G Newbie

Can anyone tell me where I can buy (Canada preferably) extra magazines for my Norinco M213 9mm pistol? Cheers.
  20. thumperpaul

thumperpaul G&G Newbie

I saw that Lever Arms in Vancouver has some Norinco Tokarev 9mm mags for $15 each...
    Thanks for the info about repairing the feed problem. I just got my 213 last week, and have yet to shoot it. (hope I don't have the same issues as you did). My buddy has a 213 and the original (1945) "grandad" TT33 as well, the pistols look almost identical except for the markings, slide grooves, and the lack of the "CCCP" on the grips of the 213.
    I also own a Norinco M14S, and noticed that the fit and finish are far superior to that of the 213. (very rough, with lots of machining marks everywhere...)
    Ah well, what do you expect for $100?