Now for a scope ???

Discussion in 'AR15' started by ninwnc, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Newbie

I haven't been to the range yet, but I know me. When I do, I'll decide to scope the AR. So just to get ahead of the game, I thought I would go ahead and ask for ideas.

My other rifles have Tasco or Simmons scopes, and am happy with them. One .303 has a stubby 4X Leapers. (I used to raise chickens and It was my, 50 yard, dog gun.) Something in the $100-150 range is fine with me.

Will the front sight interfere with the scope, or do I need high mounts?

I know I'm new to the AR fourm and will try not to be a pain with all my questions.

Nick
  2. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

You wont even see that front sight when your scope is past 3x, so don't worry about that. You'll want high enough rings that you get a good cheek weld though.

What magnification scope do you want, what will you be using this rifle for?
  3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

A scope and mount configured like this will allow a decent cheek weld and allow you get your nose against the charging handle. Mounts that don't position the scope forwards like this will have you holding your head upright and too far back for a proper cheek weld to get the proper eye relief and sight picture. Mounts like that run from about the $40 range to $200 plus. With scopes the sky is the limit, and of course there are also the Aimpoints, Eotechs, ACOGs, etc that you might consider. This particular scope and mount was about $250.00 and serves my purpose and fit the budget I had to work with.

Accessorizing the AR platform is a full time job as there are so many choices and darn it we can't possibly test them all.

Attached Files:

4. Michael Allen

Michael Allen G&G Newbie

I'm on my 1st AR, but what I've done is add a riser ($30) and UTG Leapers 4x32 ($50). Set up is new, but so far I really like it. The front site looks like its right in line but the scope looks right past it. I will post an updated photo asap.
  5. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Newbie

Hunter,

I will just use it at the rifle range (25-200 yds) and maybe some plinking. My 8 year old, however, will probably consider it "serious shootin" though. I bought it mostly for him.

Nick
  6. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

See that small black smudge in the Orange Circle? That is all you will see of the front sight. That is one of these
    HK Front Folding Sights for HK Style Rifles and Carbines|HK Tactical Sight|HK Military Sights|Folding Sights|Troy Industries
    in the UP position.

The camera is about where your eye would be if you were actually looking through the optic shooting it. It is a 3x scope I have mounted on one of my guns.

[​IMG]

As you can see you won't even notice it.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  7. WisconsinHunter

8. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I came across a B-Square 3-9 x 40 that's less than 10" long at a show for $40, NIB. Same show, I picked up a set of high see through rings to mount it to the rail on my flat-top for $15. The center line of the scope is 2 1/2 inches above the center of the bore with those rings. I could have gotten rings that are 1/2" or even 3/4" lower and the scope would still fit fine, but I had a wooden stock with raised cheekpiece on the gun at the time. I have since put on a collapsible stock and will likely switch to lower rings. The scope has inch high, finger adjustable, index marked turrets in the currently fashionable "tactical" style.

I don't know who actually made the thing, but I figured if it was good enough for B-Square to put their brand on it, it was probably good enough for my uses. So far, it has performed very well.

I also have no idea how you might find one. I never saw a B-Square scope before this, and haven't seen one since. If you come across one, you might want to take a chance with it.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  9. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know what I wind up with.

Nick
  10. MTWillie

MTWillie G&G Newbie

I prefer fixed power scopes. When the time comes, I don't want to be fumbling around adjusting the power level. I have one scope that has a front quick parallax adjustment, but it's only got 10, 50 and infinity settings for quick acquisition. But that's just me, and I'm a serious deer, elk and sheep hunter so I need something that's quick reacting.
  11. WisconsinHunter

That's why you set your magnification to what you want before that time comes. A variable power scope gives you a lot more versatility.
  12. MTWillie

MTWillie G&G Newbie

Tough to do in the thick timber here in MT. You don't know if that bull is gonna step out at 10, 100 or 300 yards. A solid 10x40 or 10x44 is all you need around here.
  13. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Many people hunted for many years with a lot of success using straight 4X scopes. I know times have changed, but there is no reason a 4X won't work today. You save weight, cost, and size. The optics on a straight power scope are arguably better, but you'd need to be very, very picky to notice it.

10X seems like a varmint scope to me. My variables are usually set around 6X, and I have bad eyes. I like the wider field of view that comes with the lower powers. BUT, a shot over 150 yards is a long one in the woods here. Mountain hunting is obviously going to have more long range opportunities than eastern Whitetail woods.