Oil or Grease ??

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Ram1hemi, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Ram1hemi

Ram1hemi G&G Newbie

During general cleaning/maintenance, excluding the barrel of course, where should oil be used, and where should grease be used? I tend to only want to use oil, but should I put grease on the bolt rails and other parts?
  2. mike j

mike j G&G Newbie

i have been in the lite coat of oil camp. i haven't used grease, it would seem a bit gummy to me. sometimes such as gas systems on semi -autos depending on the rifle like to be kept oil free.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  3. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

Light oil here as well, the only place I grease is the cocking cam.
  4. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

and no oil in the chamber! that should be clean and dry!
  5. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

Don't the Garand guys have a saying for this? Something like "If it slides oil it, if it turns or rotates grease it." Or it could be the other way. But thats a semi auto. I just oil my Mosins.
  6. whirlwind

whirlwind G&G Enthusiast

i use grease in areas that are enclosed and cant be reached for regular daily maintenance. oil every place else
  7. tobnpr

tobnpr G&G Enthusiast

I grease loose-fitting moving parts- like slide assemblies.
    My bolts slide pretty loosely in their actions, but if they didn't, a little grease there would help.

IMO, whatever you use it's important not to overdo it. Too much, can be worse than none at all...
    Each time you fire, and you get some small amount of blowback into the action, that carbon/residue mixes with the oil. Too much, and it can even become an abrasive "slurry" that can cause premature wear on parts.

Gas guns that "crap where they eat" are a prime example.
  8. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

I use oil on the entire metal of the firearm when done cleaning. Including bore and chamber and all exterior surfaces that are reachable. This is a very light film as in apply it with a wet patch and wipe it off with a dry or semi dry patch. Thats why I like a really good light gun oil. Before I fire any firearm I always run a dry patch through the bore and chamber. A good idea if your firearms sit for any length of time.
    For greese I dont use a lot. Usually on semi auto handgun rails and other parts where it is high metal on metal action. But again I use it and basicly wipe most off.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  9. eagle4g63

eagle4g63 G&G Newbie

I've been using this stuff on all my bolt pieces including the firing pin spring, a little goes a long way. It reminds me of the white lithium grease I use on all the garage door operators I repair. It is also easy to clean not like heavy grease. Makes things very slick.

Attached Files:

10. Vintovka

Vintovka G&G Newbie

on all my bolt actions i use gunzilla, which is an all in one CLP
  11. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

In summer I use the thinnest coat of automotive lithium grease on the bolt channels and nowhere else. The bolt, trigger group, magazine follower and everything else all get a little Gunzilla on them. In winter I use no grease, just Gunzilla. In really cold weather I wipe even the sheen of Gunzilla off the action. I've had Natasha out at the range at 10 below with no lube and no trouble. It's hard to bugger up a Mosin to the point it won't shoot no matter how you lube it.
  12. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 G&G Newbie

Careful, someone might read that and not realize you're talking about a firearm. ;)

But what were you trying to do? Re-enact the Winter War or Winter of 41/42??
  13. Ram1hemi

Ram1hemi G&G Newbie

Thanks all for the advice
  14. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

+1 eagle. I use tetra gun grease, and I absolutely love it. A little goes a long way too.

I'd put a little grease or oil, whatever you like on the friction surfaces on the bolt to help it slide a little easier. Depending on how much you shoot it, or if you hunt with it or something like that would really dictate cleaning as necessary the parts you greased/oiled. Do what works for you, but there's not a lot that needs greased/oiled on a Mosin. Maybe sometimes a protective coat of oil if you get surface rust.
  15. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

I recommend grease on the locking lug surfaces. They are under a lot of pressure and need lubrication. Grease stays in place better then oil, keeping your chamber dry.