Old Binoculars won't focus

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by engineman, Sep 28, 2007.

1. engineman

engineman G&G Newbie

Hi,

I was given an old pair of Bausch & Lomb 6x30 Zephyr binoculars by a friend (similar to the ones in the picture I attached). The optics look fine, but the focusing mechanism is stuck. I sprayed a little WD-40 on it, and managed to get the focusing knob in the center to turn, but it just screws off of the focusing mechanism and doesn't change the focus at all.

I don't believe that they need any repair to the optics, just the focusing mechanism in the center probably needs to be disassembled and lubed. I tried to get at the focusing mechanism from the eyepiece side, but I think that you may need to unscrew it from the objective side which has a cap with two holes in it (see attached picture). Does anyone have any idea how to disassemble these things?

Attached Files:

2. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    it looks like you need some kind of two pronged wrench.
    maybe you could make one?
  3. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

you could use a small puch and hammer then CAREFULLY tap the nut off to get it lose then use a pair of visegrips to finish? or if that dont work just smash it with the hammer.:twak:
  4. billy

can you open up some needle nose pliers and fit them in those two holes?
  5. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

What you need is called a spanner wrench, it is basically a flat handle with a U shape at the end that has two small (hardened steel)pins that protrude from the legs of the U. There are many different sizes and they are usually sold as specialized tools for a certain application (Bausch and Lomb techs prob. used one to assemble your bino's). The cheapest alternative is to find a pair of 90 deg. snap-ring pliers that fit the hole size correctly, the pliers can be opened or closed to the correct distance to fit the holes. Be sure to hold pressure on the top side to keep the tips from trying to push out when you start turning on it. FWIW, the one-piece pliers work much better than the one's w\interchangeable tips.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m77/abilenegripworks/DCFC0244.jpg
    http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m77/abilenegripworks/DCFC0245.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  6. billy

and i wondered why they call you TOOLMAN!:hail:
  7. toolman

It takes smarts to strap a rocket on a dog!
    My neighbor has a chihuahua that I'm thinking of trying that on, but the rocket placement is going to be a bit different! :p
  8. billy

well... everybody knows how much i like photographs so.
    if you decide to "help" your neighbors with their little problem.
    i wanna see it before and after lift off.
  9. toolman

All I'm going to say is that the tip of the rocket is going to be placed along the natural flight plane for a small dog. This will place the tip of said rocket just below the tail of this yapping, shivering, near hairless replica of a real dog. Let's see how he survives outer space with less hair on his body than I've got on mine! :D
  10. billy

i dont know what those things are but THAT AINT A DOG!

what binoculars? this threads getting good.:scool:
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  11. engineman

engineman G&G Newbie

Well this thread is certainly going places I hadn't planned, lol...:silly:.

Back on topic though, has anyone actually ever opened a focusing mechanism like this? I can probably figure out how to get the thing opened using the toolman's advice. I just want to make sure I'm not going to get into trouble once I get it open.
  12. billy

im thinking its got to be a simple screw gear in there.
  13. engineman

engineman G&G Newbie

OK, I'll give it a try later this week and report back on my findings.
  14. billy

the threads around here can tend to wander but it usually ends up with a good answer.
    i try to keep folks on topic but you know how it can get.....:34:
  15. toolman

Good luck w\it, after you get the cap off, you might want to record the number of turns it takes to get it apart. Sometimes these are timed so the travel will be correct, it just depends on how it's set up.
  16. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

My view is you have led threads off ***by the way,did you see where Tom Cruse is building a bunker to keep aliens out.I never got it straight if it was illegal or outer space.Will check the web.To stay on topic try getting B&L on the web.They might repair them. sam.
  17. engineman

engineman G&G Newbie

Yeah, I thought about sending it to B&L, but they don't build or service Binoculars anymore. I'd have to send it to Bushnell (I believe B&L is or used to be a parent company of Bushnell).

Also, I don't have a warranty statement for the Binoculars, and so I don't know what's covered, and the only warranty info I can find for B&L binoculars is for a newer model. It's a limited lifetime warranty good for the lifetime of the original owner, and since my buddy picked these up at an estate sale...I'm pretty sure that they're out of warranty (but, I don't have to tell Bushnell that I'm not the original owner :27:).

Anyways, it would cost me at least $10 + shipping to ship them to Bushnell, and I'm not even sure whether they would repair them for free under the warranty. Plus it's a 6-8 week turn around on the repair, and I was hoping to take them with me when I go deer hunting this fall.

Besides, I've always had the mindset, of why should I pay someone to do something I could do myself for free.