Opinions about the EAA bounty hunter

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by wigmaster0, Nov 14, 2008.

1. wigmaster0

wigmaster0 G&G Newbie

So who has any actual experience with this revolver. I am looking at getting 2 one in 22 and one in 357 (maybe 44 mag) one for fun and one for whatever else type of situations.
  2. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Dunno about the Bounty Hunter, but EAA is not famous for well-made products. There is currently a recall on their "Witness" pistols.
  3. Metronome

Metronome G&G Newbie

I have never had the opportunity to fire an EAA, the few I have handled were simple things, but didn't impress me. I don't really see how you can screw up a single-action that bad, especially if you are looking for a rough and tumble piece.
    I would also advise you to check out what Uberti has to offer. I have seen some beauties even in the most matte finished ones, but they are also 'historically accurate' in that they do not have a safety, and best to be carried hammer down over an empty chamber. Also no .44 mag options :no:.
  4. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

not familiar with the bounty hunter series......but the EAA witness series of pistols seem to be hit or miss in quality as i have seen at the range.

perhaps a search of some cas boards may provide more information such as www.cascity.com

it's awfull hard to beat a ruger single six, blackhawk, or vaquero in my opinion and i would rather spend probably the same amount of money on a used ruger now then take a gamble on a new questionable import.......
  5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

First, EAA IS known for quality all around the world !! The current All European IPSC champ shoots one. How many have you owned ?? Who is EAA ?? Do you know ?? Who makes the Witness, you probably don't know. Don't jump back on here, after you go look it up. The recall on the Witness is because people are disassembling their pistols beyond what is recommended in the manual !! If you put the firing pin in upside down, it makes the pistol unsafe. EAA is recalling them to put in a different firing pin for these boneheads. The Bounty Hunter is not new, rather it has been around for many decades. Once again, your lack of knowledge speaks volumes. Why would you offer this opinion to another member when you know it is BS ??
  6. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I have an EAA .357 snub nose and I like it a lot. I paid just $200 for it brand new. Very accurate gun. Handles .38's better than .357's but what snubby doesn't?
  7. wigmaster0

wigmaster0 G&G Newbie

Thank you swede steve

Thank you for clarifying the truth about EAA. They are just an importer not the manufacturer and they import from various manufacturers. Many of their guns are top notch and highly reliable. I have the witness elite match and it is freaking awesome. Many have stated that their customer service is bad. I say it is more hit and miss. The 1st experience was not so good because I was calling in for info so I could make a wise purchase decision so the rep figured that I wasn't as important as an actual customer (he must have worked for Sprint originally) the second call was after I got the elite match to order the slide and barrel to convert to 9mm (which works beautifully I might add) and this experience was outstanding. As far as my opinion about the witness and accuracy (let it be known I am no pistoleer) but it out performs the Glock hands down at least for me any way. (I know I am gonna catch hell from the Glocksters in the forum for this)
  8. SwedeSteve

I am glad to see you are better informed than those that seek to counsel you !!
  9. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

"once again, your lack of knowledge speaks volumes"???

in the first place, i am offering my opinion on my knowledge of the witness. Yes, i aleady knew EAA is an importer, and yes i have had experience and trigger time with the witness series pistols. The experience that i have had and from others on the firing line have not been what you could call a favorable one. The previous police department that i worked for would not approve the witness pistol for duty carry-----yes we had to furnish our own weapons and the eaa did not make the approved list with with the regional training academy. Granted, these experiences are not recent but did occour back in the 90's. Experiences indicate that the EAA witness line had spotty quality control, bad magazines, and a service department that was, to say the least, with a poor attitude.....

I honestly do not know what i have done to offend you sir with this post or any of my other posts that you are alluding to.

This is a gun board and i thought honest opinions and experiences were sought. I gave an honest opinion thru honest experience. If all anyone is seeking is glowing positive reports on whatever gun they ask about, then perhaps gun boards should have responses automatically re-directed to the importer/makers website for the great hoopla of the propaganda they present-----be it ruger, eaa, colt, or who-ever. When i want to know something about a gun, importer, or maker, i want honest experiences and opinions----i'll take the good with the bad.

And yes, i already knew the bounty hunter was not a "new" design. I was refering to my preference of a used ruger product over a "new in the box" bounty hunter. No doubt a poor choice of wording on my part. This preference is because of positive experience with the ruger line vs the unknown with the bounty hunter. I offered the best assistance for a valid experienced source of info i could---by refering the orginal poster to a Cowboy Action Shooting site where there should be folks with possibly a lot more experience with the "bounty hunter" line of revolvers---be it positive or negative.

You sir, have your opinions and experience with weapons and i have mine........

To be quite honest, i believe the entire gun industry has gone down hill in the QC department. A sign of the times i'm afraid............
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  10. DWFan

DWFan G&G Enthusiast

The EAA Bounty Hunter is made by Weinrauch in Germany. For a review of the .357...
    The Days of Wine and Roses: EAA's Bounty Hunter .357 Magnum Sixgun
    The price of these sixguns has gone up nearly $100 in the last six months.
    For info on tuning for all the replica six-shooters...
    Bob Munden - The Fastest Gun Who Ever Lived, Munden Enterprises, Fast Draw, Six-Gun Magic, Custom Gun Work, shooting videos, dvds, School of the Fast Gun, history of fast draw, appearances
    The reason why most replica sixguns aren't available in .44 Magnum is that they simply aren't strong enough to handle it. The Bounty Hunter is.
  11. SwedeSteve

deputy125- Shouldn't your latest post be your original ??
  12. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

Swede & Deputy will you two young ladies please have your school girl fight in private? This is an info forum not a kindergarden class.
  13. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

point taken sir..........:lmao:
  14. sunwheel29

sunwheel29 G&G Newbie

The EAA Bounty Hunter used to be known as the Hawes Western Marshall revolver back in the day.
    It was originaly made by Hammerli, I beleive.
    They were popular guns back in the 60s, albiet bigger framed than a true Peacemaker....

later, Hammerli got out of the SA business and sold the machining for the Western Marshal guns to Weirauch. EAA began importing them. I think the old Herter's power mag revolvers were also made in Germany.

Uberti DID make a .44 magnum for many years. It was known as "The Buckhorn" and bore a strong resemblance to the Ruger Blackhawk in .44 magnum albeit with a traditional lockwork. In the past month two different people outbid me on them on gunbroker.

Uberti also made an even BIGGER gun called the Tornado in .454 Casull caliber. Its the most beautiful handcannon I ever saw, but they took it off the market.

Like the man said, EAA is just an importer. They import guns from different makers and they have an EXCELLENT custom shop.

My experience with the Witness pistol is that I like it better than Glock or most of the plastic and alumunum wunderpistolens out there on the market.

The reason why your police academy wouldn't approve it dude is that its a cocked and locked gun without a decocker. Yet they turn people lose with tactical tupperware that has a cocked firing pin over a loaded round and no thumb safety at all.
    Not exactly what I would call rational thinking on their part and the accidental discharges would back me up,I do beleive....
  15. DWFan

DWFan G&G Enthusiast

Herter's PowerMags were made by J. P. Sauer & Sohn and are easily recognized by the god-awful ugly "hunchback" top-strap and rear sight.
  16. ironhead7544

ironhead7544 G&G Newbie

I had a Bounty Hunter in 44 Mag. It was a 7 and 1/2 inch barrel in blue with cc frame. Timed up nicely. Looking at the parts, Its a larger Colt SSA with a Ruger transfer bar system. The parts are almost identical to the Colt even has a seperate cylinder bushing. The sights were right on at 25 yards with factory 44 mag ammo. Had a problem with cases sticking. Tried a number of different loads with the same results. Chambers were very rough looking. Took it back to the dealer and he returned it for service. Came back some weeks later. There was a note saying the guns was very dirty. Said fired this ammo with no problems. A flap from the old Remington medium load, now long obsolete, was included. I had cleaned the gun to white glove specs before taking it back. I think they did something as the timing was now minimal. Took it to the range with the same sticking case problems but some loads did work ok now. 44 Special ammo worked fine so I decided to just use it as Special as I really like this round. A short time later something came up and I sold it at a slight loss. Would I buy another one? Yes, if it was cheap enough.