Ortgies Patent Deutsche Werke Erfurt 7.65mm (32 acp) Pistol

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by ShellShock, Nov 12, 2009.

1. ShellShock

ShellShock G&G Newbie

Well, here is my newest acquisition. I'm not too fond of the small blemish on the nose, but the price was right. It's about to be stripped, cleaned and parkerized.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. Metronome

Metronome G&G Newbie

I think that will be one darn fine pocket pistol with a parkerized finish - I would never think of a 'tactical' Ortgies.
  3. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Enthusiast

The finish is shot, but the gun looks well made. Show some pics when it is refinished.
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The Ortgies were popular in their day. Looks like a fun project! :147:
  5. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

I have an Ortgies that's the one war souvenir of my dad's that didn't get nicked out of his battlefield pickup collection by REMFs after he was wounded in the Hurtgen Forest and flown home. He had two duffle bags, both of which contained German military guns. By the time the duffles finally caught up with him, all the guns except the Ortgies were gone.

By all means get yourself a copy of the original manual for it; you can find replica manuals online. Do NOT try to take it apart without the manual open in front of you! You will never get it back together.

A further bit of advice, and again I am not joking here. When you go to disassemble the Ortgies, do it inside a white kitchen garbage bag. The springs will go flying around on you. As the Ortgies has no screws, it's a terror to assemble and disassemble.

So why keep one around? Because the whole backstrap safety is the most sensible solution to the problem of carrying a pistol with one under the hammer and the safety on. If you grasp the pistol firmly, as you woul if you were about to use it in a defense situation, you will disengage the safety. It's one less thing to worry about.
  6. ShellShock

ShellShock G&G Newbie

Cleaned, Parked, Oiled, and nicely reworked grips and badges. The picture doesn't do it justice because I've been allowing it to soak in oil (so the shine seems a bit irregular) Otherwise, it turned out perfect. I went with a slightly darker finish on the grips because it made the pistol look better in the long run. The matte black finish is contemporaneous to the finish it should have had from the factory.

Attached Files:

7. Whootsinator

Whootsinator G&G Newbie

Looks AWESOME! Top notch!
  8. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

WOW, Looks like a brand new gun now! I take it you did you repark job yourself?

If not, what did it cost? If it did, how much time did it take? And I gather it was bead blasted?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  9. ShellShock

ShellShock G&G Newbie

Yes, I bought a stainless steel pan from Dollar Tree and some "heavy duty" Manganese parkererizing solution from Shooter Solutions. To achieve the color, I did the following:
    1.) Removed original finish with 90% rubbing alcohol and 0000 steel wool.
    2.) Light sanded* some pitting with 800 grit sandpaper (black auto grade)

3.) Went over the entire gun again with 0000 steel wool*

4.) Soaked in 90% rubbing alcohol for 3 days.

5.) Pre-heated parts to 200 for 30 minutes using a small oven. This took a bit of figuring to dial in the temperature.

6.) Pre-heated parkerizing solution to just under 200 degrees.

7.) Removed parts from oven, placed in the parkerizing solution.

8.) When the parkerizing really started to slow down, I raised the heat to just under boiling. I gave the parts another 5 minutes and then moved them to a hot water bath (rolling boil).

9.) Removed the parts from the boiling water after a little over 3 minutes and placed them directly in a bowl of WD-40 for 30 minutes.

10.) After the WD-40 dip was complete, I heated all of the parts with a hair dryer and then sprayed them with Hoppes #9 lubricating oil. I let it sit for an hour and then wipe off the excess. I have repeated this process several times.
    Someonefrom a restoration site mentioned tinkering with the temperatures in order to achieve a darker finish.Also, I never bead blasted the parts. I brought them down to white by essentially polishing the parts smooth with the sandpaper / 0000 steel wool. I really think pre-heating the parts separately helped the process along, but I think I'll experiment with this more before swearing by it. The grips were bleached with Clorox, rinsed, and allowed to dry before being lightly sanded and bleached again. I used a small artist paintbrush to apply the finish (5 coats, buffed with steel wool in between).

*stroke in the longest direction
  10. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Enthusiast

Great job on the pistol, looks good!
  11. gunnut2u

gunnut2u G&G Newbie

Looks pretty good ....Nice job .
  12. trynout

trynout G&G Newbie

I need a manual where to look?????

My Father in law also brought one home. But in the years of being home, he took it apart. Now My husband would like to put it back together and I have been searching online and can't find a manual. Does anyone know where to find them???? It does look like the firing pin is broken so need to know how to put it together???? Help??????
  13. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor