Osprey Scopes?

Discussion in 'Optics' started by SuckLead, Dec 22, 2008.

1. SuckLead

SuckLead G&G Newbie

Has anyone heard of these scopes before? I stopped to look at a few just out of curiosity at the gun show yesterday and the guy behind the table almost gave me one. I swear, by the time I walked off he had taken over $100 off the price marked trying to get me to take one. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with them and what they think.
  2. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

Never heard of them, did find this
  3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

ive only read one good write up on osprey, actually with pics looking thru the scope at 400yds. the writeup said while not a top end scope, it appeared to be a decent value.
  4. SuckLead

SuckLead G&G Newbie

In short, save up and buy a better scope. LOL! Thanks!
  5. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

Sure you can buy a better scope, but the question is well this scope give good performance for it's price? They import Japanese glass and USA epoxy to China to build them according to the web site. While I would not use one for a mission critical situation it may be fine on a plinker.

Not everyone has the money for a five hundred to fifteen hundred dollar scope. When I was young I was lucky to afford two guns a year, so hundred dollar scope was 'high end' to me.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  6. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

I think Osprey is a member of the CCI/RCBS/Outters family.
  7. SuckLead

SuckLead G&G Newbie

I'd probably consider it for a 10/22, but for the gun I was looking to put it on... I'd like to eventually get into distance matches with it. So I've got my eye on a few, but am always open to other ideas. And the Ospry scopes at the show weren't $100 scopes, the one he was trying to sell me was over $300.
  8. ItsBrownItsDown

ItsBrownItsDown G&G Newbie

dont do it

I bought an osprey scope. The scope i got I thought was great comes with every possible option anyone would ever want. The scopes crosshairs move when you adjust the power of the scope. not an option that i signed up for. I am not a happy hunter!:chairshot:
  9. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

Saw some of those selling at the last gunshow I went to,they had a hefty price on them but was looking for a rifle and did not pick one up and examine it,was not a brand I had seen before and hope you can work it out with the one who sold it to you.
  10. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Enthusiast

That used to be a common problem with some of the less expensive scopes I'm told.
  11. echo-tango

echo-tango G&G Newbie

Sucklead

I bought one of his scopes yesterday. When I got home, I checked him out on the web and found that he had the price marked up from $189 mfrs. to $389 mfrs. and sold it to me for $290. minus $30. or $260. if he could ship one to me. I also found out that he has a lawsuit filed against him by Aimpoint for counterfeiting and copyright infringements, and has admitted to the counterfeiting part. When I delt with him yesterday I thought somthing was a little fishy because all his claims about the scope seemed too good to be true, so I used a creditcard which I stopped payment on last night.
    Someone needs to put the word out on this guy!
  12. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Smart move stopping payment on the credit card. Lucky the person took credit card...

Who, the guy at the gun show or those making Osprey scopes?
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  13. echo-tango

echo-tango G&G Newbie

Osprey Scope Sale

I wrote last Dec. 14, 09 that the Osprey Scopes were over priced at a Gun Show and I canceled my credit card on the transaction.
    Well since then I spoke to the owner of the company and found it was not necessary to cancel the card. he gladly refunded my money. In fact, he sent me the scope anyway and I'm told the salesman at the gun show is no longer working for him.
    I haven't had a chance to get the scope to the range yet. but it looks to be a well made scope and from my experience, the owner will stand by his claims and was good to deal with.
    I'll give an update when I get the scope out in the field.
  14. OUTDOORCTR

OUTDOORCTR G&G Newbie

Osprey scope

I HAVE 1 0N A 270 AND AM VERY PLEASED IT IS AS CLEAR AS AS M zIESS AND LEUPOLE
  15. Latigo

Latigo G&G Newbie

I have one. It came on a custom build rifle just to have a scope on it when it arrived. This is the day it arrived.

[​IMG]

At home in Arizona before it shipped. Photo by the builder.

[​IMG]

It looks good, but I replaced it with a Premier Heritage. The scope itself is certainly not Schott glass, but its clear enough for 500 yard shots. Eye relief is critical and that bothered me a bit. I still have it in the armoury and haven't decided which rifle will be it's home yet. Probably a .270 or a 22-250.

Latigo
  16. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Regular

Well, if anyone interested in an Osprey Scope....check www.Natchezss.com
    They have over a dozen models priced anywhere from $50 to $140. Click on Natchez's October E-flyer catalog (with deer) on their opening page and view page 20 in it.
  17. Latigo

Latigo G&G Newbie

I dunno. I just took my Osprey 10-40x50 Rangefinding Illuminated out, mounted it on an AR10 A2 in the Accurite device and its really not that bad at all.
    This one is a FFP, not the one with the screen that increases in size with magnification (SFP). The eye relief isn't quite as critical as I remembered. Checking the Rangefinding feature against my dedicated electronic rangefinder it seems to be just about right on the money.
    The glass isn't what my Leupolds or the Premier Heritage is, but its pretty darned good. Looking at the dollar value vs. quality at Natchez, its a pretty good deal.
    I'll probably keep this one after all.

Latigo