Parker Hale 30-06 rifle (need info)

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by msollecito, Jan 12, 2009.

1. msollecito

msollecito G&G Newbie

My grandfather has a Parker-Hale 30-06 rifle that he purchased in 1965 or 1966. It has manufactured in birmingham, England stamped on the barrel. The serial # is the only other thing stamped on the rifle (Z5**90) also stamped on the barrel. It has a bottom fed magazine which holds around 4-5 rounds. Fixed sight at the end of the barrel and a flip up sight at rear. Not sure the type of wood (maple, cherry, walnut ?). It is a semi-automatic. He actually only went hunting once. He fired it 3 times killed a deer and never went hunting again. The gun has been sitting ever since. Does anyone know any information about this rifle? Does anyone know what something like this might be worth? Any information would be appreciated.
  2. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

For this one, I think we definitely need photos of the action. Parker hale made a lot of mil-surp convertions, it may one of those.
  3. g1en

g1en G&G Newbie

i am also looking for info on a parker hale rilfe its a parker hale safari 7x57 cal but it looks to me to be a mauser action it has m136 or m/36 stamped on it an birmingham England stamped on the barrel but duznt look like any safari model i can find on the net and the barrel is only 19 or 18 inc but hasnt been cut down
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2009
  4. msollecito

msollecito G&G Newbie

sorry for the delay. i couldnt get any pictures. this is the 1965 parker-hale 30/06. it has quite a bit of ivory accents on it. if anyone has any info let me know. ill get more pictures.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  5. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

1968 was the earliest these were imported and discontinued in1991. I think what you have is a Parker- Hale model 1200 super bolt action. Imported 1968-91. Mauser-type bolt action, 4 shot magazine, 24" bbl. weight 7.25# calibers: 22-250, 243win. 6mm rem. 25-06, 270 win, 30-06, 308 win. European walnut stock w/rollover Monte Carlo cheekpiece, rosewood forend and pistol grip cap, skip checkering, recoil pad, sling swivels. probably worth between $400-$500. Nice gun. I'd keep er!!
  6. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

glen1

Does this gun have sights on it?? Maybe a model 2100, only a few chambered for the 7x57. barrel length on most parkers is 22"-24.5" Maybe yours is cut down, if no sights on the front I would say so. post some pics if you can.
  7. txfeller

txfeller G&G Newbie

I think the price quote on the bolt action is a bit low, more like a thousand to be sure. Those things have a barrel with peened rifling and are incredibly accurate and well made.
  8. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

$1000 is a bit on the high side for this model, there are plenty of these on gun broker for $450-to around $565 and no one is buying them! some models will bring $1000 but not this one.
  9. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

No matter what the current "blue book" states

we are in unsettled times. You might get $400.00 to $500.00 but if the gun is really great in the bore condition department I would just keep it.

It is a quality rifle.
  10. msollecito

msollecito G&G Newbie

thank you everyone for your input heres some more pics. it does have sights on it and definately was never cut down.
    [​IMG]
  11. msollecito

msollecito G&G Newbie

12. txfeller

txfeller G&G Newbie

Well, I stand corrected and it looks like you hit the nail on the head. Odd though, because my son was looking for one a little over a year ago and they were going for a lot more than that.
  13. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

Some models do bring a good price. Also depends on who has it and what they think it is worth. I do know these are a quality firearm and are very accurate!!
  14. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Parker-Hale had four in 7x57
    Model 81 Classic, made 1968-1991,adj. open rear sight, hooded ramp front. 7.75# weight.
    Model 2100 Midland, made 1968-1991, no sights, drilled & tapped for scope. 7# weight.
    Model 2700 Lightweight, 1991, tapered lightweight barrel & aluminium trigger guard. 6.5# weight.
    Model 2800 Midland, 1991, laminated Birch stock. 7# weight.

I see nothing on a "Safari" edition, but there were "African" editions...but they were Huge calibers.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  15. WhiteFalcon

WhiteFalcon G&G Newbie

I have the same gune in 243. The best gun I have ever owned. After I floated the barrel, it is a tack drever. I'll send some pics tomorrow.
  16. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

It's not a semi-automatic, it's a Bolt-Action. BIG difference.

Yours SHOULD be...the Model 1200 Super Clip that had a detachable box magazine.

This is where you can get more magazines. Parker Hale 1000C / 1200C 4 Round Detachable Magazine*|*e-GunParts.com=
    and the mag should look like this...
    [​IMG]

They also have a hooded front sight listed, but I see from your pics that you have the original.

Hope that helps...

Librarian Shrek :D
  17. WhiteFalcon

WhiteFalcon G&G Newbie

It's a 1200, and it doesn't have a deteachable mag. That is why there is a floor plate I have the one in picks. I have had mine since 1971, and harvested a many Deer, Hog, Turkey. It is a great gun. Beleave me don't sell it you will regret it later on in live.

Attached Files:

18. WhiteFalcon

WhiteFalcon G&G Newbie

You leave the floor plate up and load with the bolt open like a normal bolt action. The floor plate is opened to empty out the mag. Yours is not a Model C
  19. MooseMan

MooseMan G&G Newbie

I just picked up a Midland Manufacturing .30-06 that looks nearly identical to this one. Came with a Tasco 4x40 scope. Paid $350. Looking to use it as my first deer/elk rifle. Right now it is in for a safety check, but the guy who took it in said the chamber and rifling were nearly perfect and it looks like it had hardly ever been fired.

The history on Midland / Parker Hale is unclear to me. Did PH take ownership of Midland? I'd love to find out when mine was made. I'll take pictures and post when I get it back in a few weeks.
  20. cjleete

cjleete G&G Enthusiast

Saw a nice rifle just like yours at the show this weekend. Went for $450.00, which is about what they usually go for. Keep in mind that if you decide to sell it, you won't get near enough money out of it to buy a replacement of equal quality.