Parker-Hale Rifle - Looking for input.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Iron_Colonel, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

I sent this email to a person in England looking for info on my Parker Hale rifle. If anyone knows anything or wants more info from me and maybe can help me ID this gun, it would be greatly appreciated. There is a picture at the bottom.

I have a Parker Hale rifle, and I was going to pry your knowledge and see if you could give me any information about it. I don't know anything about Parker Hale rifles, other than they used to be made in England. I have attached a picture of it as well. It is not a very close up picture, but maybe it will be good enough you might be able to shed some light on the topic. I can take and send more pictures if you think that might help. The only visible markings that I can see are above the stock itself. I don't know if there are any more on the under side of the barrel, or numbers or other marks on the stock itself, or the barrel.

Visible marks:

1. Parker-Hale Ltd. Birmingham England - stamped on the top of the barrel above the sling swivel.

2. Cal 308W (.308 Winchester) - stamped in front of the receiver right in front of the barrel (I guess that ones pretty self explanatory.

3. Crown (looks like to me) with "BNP" stamped beneath it - stamped near the caliber letters on the barrel in front of the receiver.

4. Crown over "BNP" once more - stamped on the receiver on the left side if pointing the gun away from me above serial number.

5. D 1**6 M - Serial number I would assume stamped below crown over "BNP" on left side of receiver.

6. "Safari" - stamped below and between the scope mounts on the left side of the receiver
    That appears to be to my eyes, all of the numbers/stampings visible above the stock of the gun.

On the bolt, there is a number stamped on the handle that matches the serial number, however no letters are present. Stamped on the safety lever, is a "PH" inside of a circle a few millimeters in diameter. Also stamped on the handle near the main body of the bolt, is another crown with "BNP" stamped beneath it. Then on the underside of the bolt, which appears to be the part that contacts the sear, there is a "Z" in a small circle a millimeter or two in diameter. That would appear to be all of the visible marks on the bolt itself. The bolt handle is not hollowed out, it appears to be solid.

Dimensions of the rifle:

Height - 44 inches/112 cm (overall length from end of stock to tip of barrel)
    Barrel - 22.5/57 cm (Measured from where the barrel and receiver meet)
    Compensator - 2 inches/5 cm (Length of ported compensator attached to the end of the barrel)

I am not a wood connoisseur but would guess its a Walnut, with checkered patterns on the shooting hand grip (pistol grip), and the fore hand grip. The coat on the stock seems to be pretty shiny also. There is a black plate (possible rosewood pistol grip cap) with a white piece of plastic or painted on white stripe that is held on by a screw at the bottom of the shooting hand grip (pistol grip). The magazine well has a removable metal floor plate. The trigger guard is also metal. Neither are an alloy, a magnet stuck to all of the metal parts. The scope must be some kind of alloy, the magnet did not stick to it. The current scope is a Simmons, after market addition. Not sure of the weight, but it can't weigh much more than 7 or 8 pounds. It has a Monte Carlo cheek piece on the left side, ideal for a right handed shooter. The sling swivels do not actually swivel, they are stationary. It would appear that there are no remnants of front sights, but the rear sights have been removed, and a shaved, rounded piece of metal put in place of them. I took it to a gun place locally here in the US, and they said it was a Mauser action. But it was so long ago I don't remember what the guy said. I am not sure he was able to figure out what kind of model it was or not. But that is one thing I do remember. He said it was a good looking rifle, he didn't see too many of them like it. I paid about $200-$250 USD for it probably a year or so ago. I don't recall exactly. 4 rounds fit in the mag well, and a 5th round I can put in the chamber over top of them.

I have a "Gun Traders Guide" that I bought here in the US, and Parker-Hale is listed in it. But, the problem I have is of the descriptions listed, there is not one exact match. It sounds like it could be a Model 1000 Standard Rifle, but it has "Safari" stamped on the side of the receiver. It nearly fits the Model 1200 Super Bolt Action to a T, but there is no Rosewood forend tip. So I don't know if its just a mis-matched rifle, or what.

[​IMG]
  2. Johnnycat

Johnnycat G&G Regular

The Parker-Hale was a sporting variation of the Mauser K98 action with a turned down/forged bolt body and safety to clear a scope. There are several others that are like it - Interarms Mk X, Charles Daly, and now the Remington 798. Most of these are actually made by Zastava in Czech Republic.

It is an excellent rifle.
  3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Parker-Hale rifles were manufactured in Birmingham, England, until 1991 using the Mauser K-98 action in a variety of styles. They are uniformly excellent and fine-shooting weapons. Your Safari Model should correspond to the Model 1000, which has a retail value of $400 in excellent condition.
  4. Earl Easter

Earl Easter G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Iron Colonel
    Looks like the Model 1000 Standard. I don't think its the 1200 Super because i believe that model came in a 24" barrel only, and price a few years back maybe around $520.00
    or so. That would be my guess.
  5. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

When I was a kid I use to admire these rifles. There was always an Parker - Hale advertisment in Out Door Life Magazines.
    I even cut the picture out and taped it to my bedroom wall . I would love to have one still...A.H
  6. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

They are suppose to be very well made rifles. I always wanted one.
  7. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

I have just outfitted the rifle with a Burris 3 x 9 scope off of my dad's .300 Win mag to replace the Simmons that was on it. The Simmons now resides on my Carbine Conversion Unit for my .45 1911 style pistols. We were at a gun show today, and he got a new Leupold 4.5 x 14 I think. He told the guy at the stand what he wanted, and the guy wanted to know what he was putting it on. He told him and said, oh well the one you have on there is good. My dad told him that he and his friend were side by side looking at a deer through their scopes to see if it was a shooter. My dad said he couldn't see so he went for his binocs, then BANG, his buddy had a 4.5x14 scope on his gun. It was in fact a shooter deer. So I think it is a find addition to my rifle. The trigger on it is amazingly light, which impresses me most.

I thank all who left input on it. I didn't think it was anything special, so I know I didn't get ripped on the price. A great gun and I'm glad I had the chance to buy it.
  8. okole

okole Suspended

I thought Zastava was made in the former Yugoslavia. ??
  9. Johnnycat

Johnnycat G&G Regular

Okay, it's made in some country that does not speak English and was formerly controlled by the Russians.

It's still a good action. :stooges:
  10. rfc357

rfc357 G&G Newbie

Zastava is an industrial conglomerate located near Belgrade. Kind of like the Fabrique Nationale of the Balkans, but without the quality. In addition to guns, they also made the Yugo automobile. Zastava is for sale.

Their guns are OK, if not particularly inspired. QC is spotty. I have fired some really nice ones, and some that should never have left the factory.
  11. okole

okole Suspended

12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Parker -Hale Rifles were never Made anywhere but Birmingham, ENGLAND . The company was bought out in 1991 and moved to the U.S. and became Gibbs Rifle Company and production of rifles ceased in 1994...
    Rich
  13. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Right On Mooseman !!!! And The Name Parker Hale says it all.
  14. Johnnycat

Johnnycat G&G Regular

From Okole:
    Nope, Yugoslavia was communist but never controled by the Russians, that's the reason the guns could be imported.

Well, I've never been to Yugoslavia, but I've been to Oklahoma. Well they tell me I was born there, but I really don't remember. In Czechoslavakia, not Yugoslavia, what does it matter!

Sing it with me!

Well I've never been to England, but I sure do like the Beatles...:headbang:
  15. Rondoman

Rondoman G&G Newbie

parker Hale Model Limited 30-06 Springfield

my parker hale has a Bushnell Banner 3x-9x scope, but the windage piece on the top of the scope is broken(loose) Any ideas on how to fix it?
    the gun is in excellent condition and i believe it has the walnut stock with rosewood end piece on the fore grip
    thanks
  16. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  17. gamehunter

gamehunter G&G Enthusiast

I have owned a parker hale .303 and was a standard model as they never made the .303 in the safari or safari deluxe models from memory they are one of my favourite brands and are very much snapped up quickly when they pop up over here in New Zealand I actually missed out on a nice safari .270 a few weeks back.
  18. Dick Cunningham

Dick Cunningham G&G Newbie

Parker Hale rifle

If it's of any help I have a Parker Hale rifle I purchased in 1969. Cal. 30-06, 24" barrel, 3X by 9X Bushnell Banner scope and European walnut stock with rosewood caps, and what I'd like to be able to say are ivory inlays but are probably plastic. Actually I haven't used the rifle all that much but it's a very good shooter and REALLY looks nice in the rack. Workmanship and checkering on the stock are very good, blueing is still perfect. Action is very smoothe and the set trigger has a nice light pull. According to what some are saying in this forum I must have done pretty well since the total cost of the rifle, scope, rings and base was 197.95. Of course back in those days a buck was worth a bit more than it is now. Only problem is, I have no idea what model it is.

:usa2:
  19. Dick Cunningham

Dick Cunningham G&G Newbie

Parker Hale rifle

If it's of any help I have a Parker Hale rifle I purchased in 1969. Cal. 30-06, 24" barrel, 3 x 9X Bushnell Banner scope and European walnut stock with rosewood caps, and what I'd like to be able to say are ivory inlays but are probably plastic. Actually I haven't used the rifle all that much but it's a very good shooter and REALLY looks nice in the rack. Workmanship and checkering on the stock are very good, blueing is still perfect. Action is very smoothe and the set trigger has a nice light pull. According to what some are saying in this forum I must have done pretty well since the total cost of the rifle, scope, rings and base was 197.95. Of course back in those days a buck was worth a bit more than it is now. Only problem is, I have no idea what model it is.

:usa2:
  20. WhiteFalcon

WhiteFalcon G&G Newbie

I bought this in 1970 in Ky. sat in a gun store for 2 yrs. no takers, back then everyone wanted a 30-30,. 243, new gun in box,, 6 power wide angle scope and rings. $175.00.
    I would never sell this gun. I have shoot a great many animals with it. It fits me lile a third arm. Great shootet!!

Attached Files: