Pheasant Hunting in Iowa

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ezxs, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ezxs

ezxs G&G Newbie

A few of my buddies and I from Michigan are interested in hunting pheasants this fall (2009) in Iowa.
    We don't have an interest in hunting lodges and packages, but rather we want to know if anyone knows a farmer who offers accommodations and hunting on his land.
    Any information on this is appreciated.

Thanks from Michigan.
  2. Rambo

Rambo Your worst nightmare Forum Contributor

Good luck. I would check with the Iowa DNR site and see where they say the pheasant population is best. Then start looking at some farms in that area. From my experience, I see less and less pheasant and quail in Iowa these days while out bow and gun deer hunting. Same goes for my friends. Iowa has done a poor job in habitat preservation. South Dakota and Nebraska have been outperforming Iowa in pheasants for quite some time now. Iowa farmers have been farming fence row to fence row, leaving no buffer strips.
    Drive through Iowa and look for CRP land surrounded by crops. Then stop and ask the farmer. Wear a Dekalb seed corn hat or such, drive a pickup and wear work boots when you approach the farmer. Drive a BMW and forget it. Go to the local coffee shop and listen to the group of farmers at the big table talking. Lots of yes sirs and no sirs. Talk to those guys and they might let you on or let you know who may have some land you can hunt. Don't call, talk face to face.
    You got dogs?
    I can tell you where some public land is here in central Iowa, close to the Interstates