phoenix arms hp25 or 22

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by stalebiscuit, Jul 23, 2009.

1. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

im thinking about getting one for the hell of it

now i know they make the raven (which sucks) but the hp is somewhat better according to a few reviews

now for around 120 bucks i might just get one for the hell of it (after the hi point of course)

anyone have any REAL experience with either the hp22 or the hp25? (by real experience i mean you owned one or knew someone very well who owned one)
  2. woody1981

woody1981 Love Your Firearms! Forum Contributor

3. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

If you get one get the .22 for 2 reasons. The cost of 22 verse the 25 for one. The other is I had one years ago. It did jam with lower power shells but did function about 80% of the time with cci stingers. My only question is if your going to spend $120 on a Phoenix why not just buy a Hi-point for that price with a life time warranty? Just curious? Good luck.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  4. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

I had a .22 2 years ago. It was a decent pistol, only put about 100rds through it, but no jams or misfires. You can also get a longer barrel and mag w/extension in a kit for like 30$ (as of 2007). My accuracy was acceptable. I would spend 120$ for another one I think.
  5. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

im getting both
  6. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

7. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

8. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

Never, EVER get a .25 if the same gun is available in .22.
  9. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

thats the general advice ive heard
  10. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

I have the .22, a gift from my mom. It functions 100% of the time with some mags and hardly functions with other mags I have. As with any automatic if you get one and it doesn't work try a different mag.
  11. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Oi, if someone GAVE me a Phoenix pistol, I'd put it in the safe and wait for the Very Next gun show & use it as a Trade-In for something Way Better.

I don't think I'd ever actually pay real money for one...
  12. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

The phoenix is a great little pistol but it has to many safeties on it. I have owned most of the cheapo's 22's and 25's ravens and phoenix and davis etc. they all worked well if properly lubed and cleaned. Remember the 25 was made because
    browning could not make the 22 work right. As a mater of fact the phoenix worked much better than tha Walther p-22 I had.
  13. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Phoenix arms hp25 or 22...they are junk...had one in .22
  14. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

hmm getting mixed signals here

but they probably are junk, ill get a hi-point first, then one of these if i feel like it still
  15. bgr2014

bgr2014 G&G Newbie

Forget it they are junk.

Dont waste your money on junk, what's your life worth ? get something that will work if you need it.
  16. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

I understand what your saying but don't totally agree. I have my defense guns and I have my play at the range guns. Some work great others not so great. The ones that aren't so great doesn't matter because they only get shot at the range. I've owned the above and it's not that bad. If he uses hot .22 shells he will have a lot of cheap fun. Like I said I completely understand what your saying but I don't think this will be a defense gun for him.
  17. sunwheel29

sunwheel29 G&G Newbie

Why don't you just wipe your hind end with the money and flush it down the commode instead?
    In the long run, it won't be as embarrassing and you will have something worth bragging about.

There is a reason why it costs so little...Its not worth carrying home.
    Ditto with all the other guns primarily manufactured from Zinc, aka pot metal.

I keep seeing this same insanity over and over on firearms forums by people who keep lying to themselves about what a bargain, this, that or the other Zinc stinker appears to be.

Well, it aint.

Hi Point, Jennings, Bryco, Jimenez, I don't care if it has "S&W" on the slide, if its made of Zinc, LEAVE IT ALONE.
    Yes, even S&W tried to make a Zinc gun a few years ago - the Sigma .380 only to find that the slide ruptured between 1,700 rounds and 2,200 rounds.

You can't make a good gun out of pot metal, period. Wrought Iron would be better, and would maybe increase production cost about $2, but the manufacturers of Zinkers don't care.
    They are in business to seperate the fool from his money so don't help them by being the fool.

If you want a cheap .22 or .25 pocket pistol go online or go looking pawn shops for old Colt, Astra and other .22s and .25s manufactured from steel instead of pot metal. Take a magnet with you.

This fascination with the Zinker is what us old guys call "Something for Nothing" syndrome. Ie a fella gets suckered into thinking he is gonna get something good for next to nothing.
    By the time the gun breaks or malfunctions or falls apart before he can sell it to another fool, it is too late.
    By the time he has spent $500 on shipping charges to send the gun back to the maker a dozen times on that lifetime warranty, he realizes he could have gotten a decent gun from a reputable manufacturer.

You know, they used to call the various pot metal .22s, .25s and .380s makers the "Ring of Fire" manufacturers.
    Thats because buyers got burned.
  18. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Newbie

Phoenix HP22: I have about 600 rounds through mine. I ordered the mag extender & a spare magazine & shoot regularly. After a couple hundred rounds, to break it in, It shoots fine & is a "hoot to shoot." For target, I shoot my Buckmark, but for a plinking fun gun, the little Phoenix is a lot of fun. Pop cans, look out! I also had a Hi-Point 380 that was completely reliable, after the ususal "couple hundred rounds" to break it in. Hi-Point has a "forever" warranty & I only sold mine because I had too many guns.
    The Phoenix is "tricky" to take down, but once you figure out the "gizmo" to release the barrel, it's a piece of cake to take it down. Because it's so small, I always have it with me & always get a "smile", whenever I shoot it. Stay away from the 25. Ammo is way too expensive compared to the 22.