pistol powder vs rifle powder

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by generoll, Aug 29, 2009.

1. generoll

generoll G&G Newbie

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between pistol powders and rifle powders? I want to make up a load for a Mosin carbine and I want a fast burning powder to use with a 125 gr bullet. Any suggestions or are pistol powders no-no for rifles.
  2. JBS

JBS G&G Newbie

From the sound of it, you need to get a couple or three reloading manuals and read them. I would advise against going down the road you appear to be wanting to take. Learn what you're doing, first.
  3. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

Pistol powders are a no no in rifles they tend to make them blow up. They are too fast, look up hodgdon on the computer they have load data for 110 to 220 (including 125) for this round.
  4. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Don't ever try a pistol powder in a rifle load!There are a few internet loads floating around that use pistol\shotgun powders, but the amt. of powder is very small, which opens up a whole 'nuther can of worms relating to powder position\hangfires\detonation. Your best bet is to go to the powder mfgr's websites and look for published loads, or best of all, get one or ten good reloading manuals and cross-reference your loads. To answer your initial question, the difference is burn-rate. Pistol\shotgun powders burn very quickly to facilitate moving a bullet out of a short barrel using lower powder charges. Rifles need a powder that burns slower and longer to build to optimal pressure without blowing the gun to smithereens.
  5. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

I like this load 125 gr. Sierra bullet and 50 gr of H4895 (make sure its the H4895 and not the other 4895) for 3036 fps.(the max is 54 gr)
  6. DocAitch

DocAitch G&G Regular

pistol powder in a rifle

If you see data for a pistol powder in a rifle, such as Unique or 2400, the projectile is lead, which is a whole different animal from a jacketed bullet such as that used in the Moisin's.
    Moisin jacketed bullet loads use rifle powder and the type and charge are based on the bullet weight and composition.
    ++++1 JBS' and Toolman's recommendations for some reloading reading. Any of the popular manuals will give you a pretty good background in the first 8-10 chapters .
    DocAitch
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  7. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

There are some reduced loads now with Clays, and others. About 1100 fps target. Check the Manufacture's web site. Always. Kinda like rocket science, you get one shot.
  8. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

The only time I tried a recipe that used a pistol powder for a rifle round was some 2400 with 7.62X39. They shot fine, but they would not cycle my SKS. Probably was too fast for the recoil to do it's thing.
  9. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

^^^^^^^^^^^^+1
  10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The others have it right,especially the reading part. ,,,sam.
  11. TeeRex

TeeRex G&G Newbie

I'd read up like a few mentioned before, and pick a published load and stick to it.
  12. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

A bunch of good advice. Howya doin JBS?
  13. generoll

generoll G&G Newbie

OK, you've convinced me on the pistol powder part. Now I just need to locate a good, fast rifle powder and see if I can find a decent load for a short barreled Mosin. I have the Lee manual and the Load Book for the 7.62x54r, but I think most of those loads assume the longer barrel like the 91/30 or the M39. The pictures of the fireballs out of the M38 and M44 Mosins has me thinking that the standard powders are too slow. I'm wondering if a max load for a 30/30 might be a way to proceed. Guess I'll just have to do a bit more experimenting.
  14. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Since you are determined to go against advice by lerned reloaders and make your own rules I expect you to get hurt/dead and not be around to read this,but the reasons for not using powders that aren't listed are many,including,you have no idea how much is too much,a cartridge can blow the chamber up from the powder flattening out and being ignited the full length,changing burn rate, creating very high pressures,faster burn rates build higher pressures quicker than slower burn rates,and if you are still with us,if a powder isn't listed there is a reason the powder/bullet press Co,s don't list it so you just shouldn't use it.Are you dead or maimed yet? ,,,sam.
  15. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

ALL short-barreled rifles and carbines have fireballs - it's part of the fun!
    Use the correct loads, and you'll be shooting for many years to come. :headbang:
  16. wcassidy

wcassidy G&G Newbie

if you wanna ditch the fireball get a lee production pot and a 2 cavity mold and lube sizing kit from them (about $100 altogether) and start casting your own bullets, then you can use pistol and shotgun powders listed in manuals like lyman, less recoil, cheaper shooting, and less muzzle flash.
  17. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

It's all been said.
  18. TeeRex

TeeRex G&G Newbie

Yeah It's definitely a bad idea to go around swapping load data from one cartridge to another.

Maybe just stick to factory ammo.
  19. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

Well he hasn't responded.... is he dead? I hope not....
  20. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Enthusiast

why on gods green earth do you NOT want the fireball?! thats the coolest part of the carbines, that and stabbing the target with the m44 bayonet.