Places to shoot near southern California?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by rentien, Jun 5, 2007.

1. rentien

rentien G&G Newbie

Hello,

I am fairly new to guns, i've shot .22 rifles and a 30-06 before and a couple pistols, but now i've purchased my own Chinese SKS for hobby's sake.

I purchased 500 rounds of Wolf's 7.62*39mm FMJ ammo. I went to the range this weekend and found out they don't let me fire this ammunition because it creates fires since it has... steel in it? i'mn really not sure but it stuck to a magnet.

Does anyone know where i can go to just shoot off this ammo and still use it?

I'm thinking maybe a desert area where its safe but no rules to control what kind of ammunition i fire.

I guess cloest is best. but any place will work that is within an hour's drive.

I live around West LA (I go to UCLA, so i live around there)

thanks in advance.

actually, if anyone also knows a gun range that allows my bi-metal ammunition that would work too.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  2. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

I don't really know of any places you can shoot that stuff around there, but I'm wondering why steel core ammo will cause fires. Is it because of the steel hitting rocks and causing sparks?
  3. rentien

rentien G&G Newbie

i honestly have no idea, but thats the assumption i was under (steel and rocks = sparks)

all i know is that some gun ranges do not allow ammo that sticks to magnets
  4. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Usually that's because they contain a steel core and damage their targets or target holders worse than lead.

Unfortunately, sometimes ammo is lead core with a steel jacket and will stick to a magnet.

Also, the steel in normal steel core ammo isn't hardened steel or "armor piercing". I've read many cases where rangemasters have used the excuse that they don't allow AP rounds, even though that's not the case.:banghead:

As for steel making sparks. There are some rocks, such as flint, that will spark when struck with steel. So in the highly flammable state of Kalifornia, I can understand that stance.
  5. Gio

Gio G&G Newbie

Steel core will not be stopped by a backstop every time either. So they are wary of that in populated places.
  6. rentien

rentien G&G Newbie

well, does anyone know a desert within... 2 hours of southern california that i could go to and just shoot off my ammo?

Also, do i need to call the police to notify them before i start shooting if i do go to such a desert? How does all this work? like can i just drive over to some random desert area that i see on mapquest and just get out of the car, go to my trunk pull out my SKS and start shooting at cactuses? how do i do this and not get into trouble and keep everything legal?
  7. bigandrich44

bigandrich44 G&G Newbie

Go to public land i guess. I would find a farmer, walk up to his house, ask him, then do it just to be sure. That's how we do it here in Texas.
  8. shmeddie

shmeddie G&G Newbie

I've never heard of any lead core wolf ammo. They don't allow steel core because it sparks. You can shoot that stuff at burro canyon when fire season is over but unfortunately that window isn't very wide. You have to check with their website (Burro Canyon Shooting Park - Public Shooting Ranges and Law Enforcement Training Center) periodically to see when they allow it. Good news, once it cools down and starts raining you can shoot all that stuff.
  9. shmeddie

shmeddie G&G Newbie

oops, i meant steel core