PMC M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by USAF_462/2W1X1, Jul 6, 2008.

1. USAF_462/2W1X1

USAF_462/2W1X1 G&G Newbie

I bought one of these about four years ago without knowing too much about them. Actually at the time, I though it was USGI, and paid WAY, WAY, WAY too much for it, but I have come a long way since then and i know better now. It was NOT worth the $675 I paid for it then, but it did come with the Bayonet, two 15 round mags and 2 30 rounders. It is nice since all USGI parts fit it and I have swapped several parts out due to wear and such. All the parts I swapped came from Fulton Armory and it is a nice shooter, but not too much history. I do admit, I have no idea what these go for these days, any ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  2. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Enthusiast

Plainfield Machine Company made the best M1 carbine clone ever put on the civilian market. It was designed to use USGI parts (except for the receiver). They were quite popular in the mid sixties. When surplus USGI parts began to become scarce, Plainfield lost out.
    I doubt that you paid excessive for the shooter and the Plainfield, if one can be found, will usually go for about the price of a USGI carbine which is around $600-650. Anyway, you got this when carbines were scarce, before CMP began selling them.
    Yours appears to be restocked as Plainfield normally used a perforated metal handguard.
  3. USAF_462/2W1X1

USAF_462/2W1X1 G&G Newbie

Thanks OJH, I appreciate the info, I knew that USGI parts were used, some more than others, for instance, the bolt is Underwood the front sight is Rock Island and the hammer is IBM.

I actually took it down to the gun store here in town to try and sell on consignment so I could get an IBM from the CMP, but no takers, I am going to go back and pick it up tomorrow.

Since it really has no history, I am thinking of swapping the barrel. The one that is on it ain't terrible but the rifling is getting worn pretty good and messing with my groups. It isn't a USGI barrel, not that I can see anyway...

Thanks again OJH!