price of new sp101?

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by old fart, Mar 6, 2012.

1. old fart

old fart G&G Newbie

i went this morning to get a taurus 605 for $360+tax, while in the shop the guy said why not get the ruger sp101 for not much more. i asked his low dollar out the door for a new sp101, the casing envelope is dated february 2nd 2012. he came back and said $460otd well for less than $100 difference i got the ruger. did i do ok? was that a good price? i know i'm happy with the gun, but i haven't fired it yet. thanks
  2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

That sounds like a good price. A friend recently bought one at a local gun shop and it was $474.00 + tax.
  3. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Yes, considering Texas Panhandle prices

You made a great deal.
  4. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

not a bad price and you got a much better handgun. The Ruger will certainly give you less problems over the years.
  5. docmaghee

docmaghee G&G Newbie

Recently sold my SP101 with a nice smooth as silk trigger job-should have never got rid of it and now I am looking to buy another. My area around $430 otd. So you got a nice weapon and a good price-enjoy it is ten times the gun the Taurus is. Congrats.
  6. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

ha I know what you mean, I had one with the 3 1/16" barrel that I sold to a friend. It was the only gun I regret selling. After much thought I finally got a replacement one with the 2 1/4" barrel not too long ago.

I don't think I would send it off for a professional trigger job however after dry fire practice with the trigger and some snap caps for probably about 1,000 or so good slow trigger presses over the past two weeks it has smoothed out considerably.
  7. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    two words

wolff spring kit.
  8. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

but that's three words.

:slap: :laugh2:
  9. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I agree with the SP101 not only being a good deal for you but also a much better firearm! I am looking at picking up an SP101 myself.
  10. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    i got way over 10,000 rounds fired in mine.
    i love that gun.
    i have the crimson trace grips as well.
  11. Mantrid_Brizon

Mantrid_Brizon G&G Newbie

I don't know were all of you guys live, but in my undisclosed mid-west state a Ruger SP101 NIB is about $550-600 USD & the GP100 (that I kind of always wanted, with 1st gen hybrid grips) is about $650-700+ USD, NIB :Eyecrazy:. The Taurus is closer to $400-450. I remember asking a vendor at a gun show a few months ago "So how are Ruger's affordable again?" He probably thought I was being a smart ass. When I was shopping for prices on my Ruger P95, which I had to order by the way, the lowest I ever got was $350 + shipping & tax, considering everyone else I have heard of paid about 20-40 USD less then that, and got it the same day... So basically, my point is I would have overdrawn at the bank :)no:) to get a deal like that!
  12. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

$460 isn't too bad at all, the SP101's usually sell in the neighborhood of $500-$550 in this area. Yeah, you may have spent $100 more than the Taurus, but the Ruger will hold up much better over the long haul.
  13. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Definitely get a spring kit for it. Ruger, along with most other manufacturers, and most likely because of lawyers, tend to have pretty heavy trigger pulls. Hell, even the Ruger .22 my brother got had like an 11# pull. So yea, like Billy said, spring kit (there, two words, lol).
  14. single shot

single shot G&G Newbie

"yip" wolf spring kit the best $10.00 you will spend on this revolver.
    That is a good price and the new shipments seem to be coming in at a slightly higher price (big suprise there)
    Having owned both the Taurus and the Ruger there is no comoarison between the 2 guns. You made the right decission!!
  15. single shot

single shot G&G Newbie

"yip" wolf spring kit the best $10.00 you will spend on this revolver.
    That is a good price and the new shippments seem to be coming in at a slightly higher price (big suprise there)
    Having owned both the Taurus and the Ruger there is no comparison between the 2 guns. You made the right decission!!
  16. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit G&G Enthusiast

I love mine. I made it a nightstand gun now since I got my SR9c and it holds 17+1. I love Rugers. Bought one Taurus and hated it and traded it in on a Ruger.
  17. Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet G&G Newbie

I, also, have a 357 Magnum Ruger SP-101. It has a 3" barrel, hammer spur, a fancy custom trigger job, and a soft rubber Hogue Monogrip. My wife usually carries it inside her shoulder bag with 2 Bianchi Speed Strips and 1 HKS speedloader.

That's 20 rounds in total; and I hope enough to, 'get her home' no matter where she might find trouble. She's a surprisingly good double-action shot with it; and I can tell you for certain that we'll both be long gone from this earth before this 101 is ever put up for sale.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9549/josnewrugerrc1.jpg

You made the right decision. I used to sell Taurus handguns; so I know Taurus (and their problems) very well. Around my neighborhood you'd pay between $525 and $550 for a basic SP-101 BEFORE tax. A Hogue Grip would, also, be an extra $30.00.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012