Private Gun Sale Question...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by FoggyNoose, Nov 12, 2007.

1. FoggyNoose

FoggyNoose G&G Newbie

I wan't to buy a gun from my friend, and he wants to sell it to me.... but we don't know what the laws are. How do we get it out of his name and into mine ?

what's the Law on this ?....in Texas.
  2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Enthusiast

Buying from an individual circumvents the rules FFL dealers must abide by. At the very least, determine who/how the seller acquired the gun. If you're still in doubt...or uneasy with the purchase, then don't buy it. You might end up with a gun which is has more potential trouble for you than you're bargaining for.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  3. FoggyNoose

FoggyNoose G&G Newbie

Wow... That's the most anti gun/2nd amendment site I've ever seen ! lol

But anyway... I saw him purchase the gun at a gun show...new from a dealer...

He is the one that is wondering how to get it out of his name and into mine....

I did'nt see any info to that effect in that link. All I saw was gunshow and private sales "bashing".
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

technically, it should not be in his name, as registration is unconstitutional (yes, i know but lets not get started on that). in many states, you can legally conduct a face to face transaction, as long as you do not knowingly sell to a felon, looney, or drug addict (you get the idea). if it really concerns you, take it to a dealer and have them run you thru the NICS. they will likely charge you a small fee for this service.
  5. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

I'm no help to you; I'm not familiar with Texas law. In California, they've decreed that every sale must go through an FFL, even individual to individual. The individuals have to go pay an FFL and run through the system anyway.
  6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

In Mich.You must go to the County Sherrif,s Office and get a permit to purchase a handgun.The transfer is on the permit. sam.
  7. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Have the seller type up a bill of sale (or go buy one) with serial number, Manufacture and type firearm .
    Then have it noteterized.
    You both should get a copy, this is if a seller can sell to a individual with out going to an ffl holder or to the Sherrif as told in the other posts.
    It's better to be safe than sorry, even if such a document is not needed...A.H
  8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I buy guns All the time from Individuals. Just Get a reciept with price , Date, and serial Number and both names and addresses on the reciept. Doesn't have to be notarized, just both sign it. This is just to cover both of you If the gun is stolen later, or if the ATF comes to Him Looking for it for some reason. Texas Laws are on the Internet.
    There Is NO Federal Law Covering individual sales (Yet)!
    Rich
  9. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

HI trailboss60 WELCOME to GUN and GAME feller !!! Why don't you mozzy over to the Introduction Thread and Introduce yourself.
    Were delighted you joined...A.H
  10. Randy191145

Randy191145 G&G Newbie

Trailboss I am with you!
  11. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I live here in TX, and this is correct from everything I know. Private transactions are just that. The receipt that Mooseman suggests, although strictly speaking I don't think a requirement, is a very good idea in case something happens later. There's no registration here (and thus no "name"), and no requirement to report lost or stolen firearms, nor private sales; however, you can't be too careful.

BTW, welcome to the site in case someone hasn't already said it :)

And also welcome to you, Trailboss :)
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  12. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    google private gun sales laws for the state you live in.
  13. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

I purchase firearms from individuals all the time. I intentionally DO NOT keep records of these transactions. I do not have an ffl 01 or a cr 03 and NO LAW says I have to record any of these purchases or sales.

This is a private sale and I dont have to keep any record of it any more than I do if I sell you a used toaster.

Different states have different requirments but where I live there is no nazi requirement for running a firearm sale through the STATE.

Actually unless your state demands you keep records of these sales your better off not to. Then not one govt agency can come back at you for buying or selling a firearm.

Is the firearm your buying a handgun or a rifle/shotgun? Sometimes that makes a difference in state law as well.
  14. LEE3370

LEE3370 G&G Newbie

Is it a longgun or a handgun?
    I think (I said "I think") there is a federal law now against private handgun sales everywhere in the US of A. All handgun sales must go through an FFL holder.
  15. HARDERTR

HARDERTR G&G Newbie

Stop filling this poor fella full of paranoia and "I thinks...."

You don't have to do ANYTHING except hand over the money in exchange for the goods. It's when folks don't take the time to know right from wrong that they usually end up surrendering their rights VOLUNTARILY!

No receipt or paperwork of ANY KIND is necessary! The ONLY stipulation would be if one of you are a felon and legally forbidden from owning a gun...and only then it applies if the seller KNOWS you are a felon. By keeping a paper trail, you actually leave yourself open for even more questions.

I suggest you VERIFY for yourself... you may even learn something.

I suggest you start with this: ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
  16. TXplt

I've heard nothing of the kind--unless new within the last 3 months.

here's from the reg:

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

I can't see how your having a receipt would hurt--it's only there for verification purposes should you so choose to use it. You could quite legally keep or destroy it as you saw fit.
  17. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

Right you cannot sell to a person who lives in another state without going through an FFL holder. But you can sell to anyone in your state face to face with no paperwork of any kind. Dependant on state law.

Texas is pretty understanding on firearms so I cant believe they would have any laws against face to face private sales.
  18. TXplt

^^Correct.
  19. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Foggy, try calling your County Clerk and asking what the rules are in your county. In many states, the County Clerk's Office is the recording authority for firearms that must be registered, like pistols. If the Clerk does not know, the chances are he/she will be able to tell you who to ask.
  20. trailboss60

trailboss60 G&G Newbie

Thanks for the welcome guys, I found this thread while searching for something unrelated, it is an old thread, so I guess that Foggynoose already made the transaction. It sounds like Az.'s policy pretty much mirrors Texas policy regarding gun sales. As a seller though, I would want to keep a copy of the buyers info if I received the gun from an FFL for obvious reasons.