Prof calls cops because of student 2nd amendment beliefs:

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by gak906, Mar 5, 2009.

1. gak906

gak906 G&G Newbie

I don't agree with the police even talking to the student. Although I think they handled it well , and it was for CYA reasons only. I just wish the student would have told them to "pound sand". It would be interesting to see what would have been done then.

FOX NEWS
    NEW BRITAIN, CONNECTICUT

A professor in Connecticut reported one of her students to the police after he gave a class presentation on why students and teachers should be allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus. Now, free speech activists say the professor’s actions are what really need to be investigated.
    Last October, John Wahlberg and two classmates at Central Connecticut State University gave an oral presentation for a communications class taught by Professor Paula Anderson. The assignment was to discuss a “relevant issue in the media,” and the students presented their view that the death toll in the April 2007 Virginia Tech shooting massacre would have been lower if professors and students had been carrying guns.
    That night, police called Wahlberg, a 23-year-old senior, and asked him to come to the station. When he arrived, they they read off a list of firearms that were registered in his name and asked where he kept them. Guns are strictly prohibited on the CCSU campus and residence halls, but Wahlberg says he lives 20 miles off-campus and keeps his gun collection locked up in a safe. No further action was taken by police or administrators.
    “I don’t think that Professor Anderson was justified in calling the CCSU police over a clearly non-threatening matter,” Wahlberg told The Recorder, the CCSU student newspaper that first reported the story. “Although the topic of discussion may have made a few individuals uncomfortable, there was no need to label me as a threat.”
    Wahlberg declined to comment further to FOXNews.com, saying he did not want more media attention.
    According to The Recorder, Anderson cited safety as her reason for calling the police.
    “It is also my responsibility as a teacher to protect the well-being of our students, and the campus community at all times,” she told The Recorder. “As such, when deemed necessary because of any perceived risks, I seek guidance and consultation from the Chair of my Department, the Dean and any relevant University officials.”
    Anderson did not respond to calls from FOXNews.com. Campus police forwarded requests to university spokesman Mark McLaughlin, who declined to comment, citing Wahlberg’s privacy.
    Robert Shibley, vice president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE), said Anderson's actions appeared to be out of line.
    “If all he did was discuss reasons for allowing guns on campus, it seems a bit much to call the police and grill him about it,” Shibley said. “If you go after students for just discussing an idea, that goes against everything a university is supposed to stand for.”
    Shibley said FIRE has seen many more cases of hair-trigger responses by administrators over anything gun-related since the Virginia Tech shooting.
    In 2007, Shibley noted, a student at Hamline University in Minnesota was suspended after writing a letter to an administrator arguing that carrying concealed weapons on campus may help prevent tragedies like the one at Virginia Tech. The student was allowed to return only after undergoing a psychological evaluation, he said.
    Shibley also cited an incident at Colorado College last year in which campus administrators denounced a flyer as "threatening and demeaning content" because it mentioned guns. He said the students who produced the flyer were found guilty of violating the school’s violence policy, which was added to their school records.
    “It is, of course, important that administrators identify real threats to students,” Shibley said. “But they need to use logic to discern whether a threat is real.”
    But Jerold Duquette, an associate professor of political science at CCSU who sits on the Faculty Senate Committee on Academic Freedom, say the Wahlberg case is not so clear-cut.
    “This is a situation where both sides can come up with a reasonable explanation,” Duquette said.
    “[Wahlberg] certainly has a reason to complain, since he didn’t do anything directly threatening. But I wouldn’t say the administration has a reason to sanction or punish the professor or the police.... I don’t know if I would have done anything differently in the situation.”
    Katie Kasprzak, a spokeswoman for the group Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, suggested that the professor called the police because she disagreed with Wahlberg’s political views.
    "Critics of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus argue that colleges and universities are dedicated to the free flow of ideas,” she said. “Yet when a student gives a class presentation on a relevant issue in the media, it is acceptable to label the student as a threat? The only threat posed was a threat to the professor’s personal beliefs.”
    Duquette said there was no evidence to support that.
    “I think a lot of people see this as a liberal professor going after a student because he likes guns. I don’t know if that’s the case,” Duquette said, adding that more would need to be known about the incident.
  2. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

Guns in Virginia have to be registered?

Here in California, the police wouldn't be able to read me a list of the guns I own...because they don't have such a list.
  3. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

It seems a bit on the crazy side to me, that a professor would call the police over a class presentation. It seems to be harassment of the student, for his beliefs. And naturally, other professors will back one of their own.
  4. gak906

gak906 G&G Newbie

Yeah , I'd be willing to bet if he had gave a presentation on the legalization of drugs she would not have called the popo. That's it, The prof is a "POT HEAD".:196:
  5. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

See what 's happening, you're catching up fast with the UK!

Registration always comes before confiscation!

They have the lists, they could arrive at the door any time to collect them!!
  6. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Enthusiast

In MN, handguns are registered upon purchase. Not sure about my SkS being that I bought it a few years ago.

Fear seems to be guiding their reasoning. I wonder what would have happened if people had been allowed to carry on that campus and how many there actually have been?
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  7. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

No crime committed, not even a threat of crime but proof of how the registration process is used. Kind of makes you wonder how it WILL be used in the future.
  8. captsquirrel

captsquirrel G&G Newbie

I think she just disagrees with his view.
    I'm curious to know what grade he received for the presentation.
  9. larmus

larmus G&G Newbie

Troy what do you think about the situation, do you believe its her personal beliefs or her political stance... just wondering. they are saying her politcal beliefs if i read it correctly but it could be a number of reasons
  10. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

The student was allowed to return only after undergoing a psychological evaluation,

That is a very scary bit. Who ordered that, who can order that be undertaken? To me, that is the most disconcerting statement of the lot. Freedoms???

1984 "Thought Police"!

What about the professor? Surely she should have been made to undergo a psychological evaluation as well??
  11. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

Schools and colleges have become communist mind laundry's. The professor is stupid.
  12. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

I doubt you could sort out her political beliefs from her personal beliefs; they're all part of a whole.

But she has no business teaching, if a mere class presentation scares her so badly she thinks she has to sic the cops on her own students.
  13. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

+1!^ They always err on the side of the professor! In my opinion, the prof should have recieved unpaid leave, and required to go through the eval, herself! Another of these nutcase profs comes to mind, ya'll remember Ward Churchhill? Yeah, the self declared "native American"? The tribe he claimed to be a part of, came out and said there was no connection with them, whatsoever! Why wasn't he immediately dismissed as a liar, who can't get the facts straight? No, they let him continue to teach his twisted views, to our future generation!
  14. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

I'm pretty sure they fired him, Scotty. I'll look into it and get back to you...

edit: Yep. The University of Colorado fired Ward Churchill back in 2007, for "serious research misconduct," including four counts of falsifying information, two counts of fabricating information, two counts of plagiarizing the works of others, improperly reporting the results of studies, and failing to "comply with established standards regarding author names on publications."

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
  15. Noboundaries

Noboundaries G&G Newbie

Just another example of a lack of common sense, opposing views, and the CYA perspective of fear that exists in most institutions, including corporations.
  16. larmus

larmus G&G Newbie

true... but its sad that in the last sentence duquette is attacking her political belief "“I think a lot of people see this as a liberal professor going after a student because he likes guns. I don’t know if that’s the case,” Duquette said," not her personal beliefs... i know alot of people, dem's and repub's, who dont like guns but it has nothing to do with their political stance, and everything to do with personal feelings
  17. REPAIR GUY

REPAIR GUY G&G Newbie

Another view of liberism don't like anything and call someone else to fix it for them...
    sad that information alone causes fear. when they seek to enforce beliefs THEY... only want to cover ENFORCEMENT OF THE AGENDA....the BS knows no bounds.
  18. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

I lost my copy of the Agenda, A-FIXER. Can you tell me where to get another one?

I was going to just wait for the next Gay-Liberal Media Agenda Convention to pick one up, but I forgot where they're holding it this year...
  19. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

That teacher should at the very least be suspended without pay and not allowed to return until A) she has gone through a psychological evaluation' B) she has taken a course on the meaning of the First Amendment; and C) she has gone through and obtained her certificate for the NRA Pistol Course. If she's going to act like a paranoid loon at the mere mention of firearms, it would be nice for the twit to have at least some clue about what she is being paranoid about!
  20. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

+1