PWA Commando AR-15

Discussion in 'General Military' started by grndesert, May 28, 2005.

1. grndesert

grndesert G&G Newbie

Just picked up a PWA Commando. Does anyone know anything about the company (I know they are not around anymore). And does anyone have an
    opinions/experience about the performance of PWA AR's. How do they rate
    against Colt's,Bushmasters,etc.etc.etc....
  2. Hattrick

Hattrick G&G Newbie

Well, according to the ATF, PWA produced 2,964 rifles in 2000, and 2 in 2001. No more after that, as you said. Only you and 2,965 others have something like what you've got, if it's a factory-built rifle. That statistic is representative of complete rifles only, not lowers or builds. Which is yours?

I don't know many companies outside of the big manufacturers. Colt, Bushy, Armalite, DPMS and Rockriver Arms are all top-notch, with many smaller firms close or matching (companies like Ameetec Arms, Stag Arms, MEGA, etc).
    But ultimately, if your lower reciever is forged alluminum or a quality casting with quality parts (trigger group, bolt catch, all that stuff), it'll last you years.

It's all completely modular, too. You can replace any and all parts now or in the future as the need or want arises. Different trigger, new set of springs, new forward assist, whatever!

My point is, you can make your AR solid gold in terms of quality if you don't feel that it's already there. It can be done pretty cheap too. If you ever need a part, big or small, go to www.dpmsinc.com and check out the online store. DPMS is one of the chief manufacturers of AR parts in the entire industry, and has been since the 80s.
    Last edited: May 30, 2005
  3. jsloey

jsloey G&G Newbie

PWA also produced complete AR15s in the late 70's and early 80s' and lowers in the 90s'.
    All pre-ban lowers have PWA with a circle around it stamped and under it is Milan, IL. 5.56 Commando and the 4-6 digit serial number. Pre-ban lowers are SN 35222 and below. All post ban lowers have the year appended to the serial number. Pre-ban lowers go for $400-$900 depending on condition.

Serial Number List

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  4. rdrunner69

rdrunner69 G&G Newbie

Im sure I have a preban the pwa is circled, but the serial number is higher then that stated in the 40k area and it has no date on it. I dont know much about it other than I bought it in the nineties.
  5. allons

allons G&G Newbie

[​IMG]

This is the right & left side of a post ban lower made on 02/15/95.

Can't say much about their complete rifles, never owned one. I will say that I've got a thing for their lowers though!

Back in the day, IMHO, PWA was the best lower frame you could get. Always an easy build, zero problems. Super Great Lower!!

I've got one lower with over 25,000 rds on it & it still looks and works great.

Unless you are unlucky enough to live in one of the less than free states, it don't much matter, pre or post ban, you can have any style upper you want on it.

Good luck with the new toy, did I mention I like PWA??:veryhappy:
  6. avgwhtman

avgwhtman G&G Newbie

Mine is a pre -ban in the 29000 range. It is a fun gun to shoot, little recoil and very accurate. At the 100 yd range I can hit quarters with ease.

Serial Number List

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
  7. STEVE1234

STEVE1234 G&G Newbie

I have a pwa commando 5.56 that i have no knowledge of what type of weapon it is. Are there markings that would tell me if it is semi auto or fa. It has a tubular 3 position stock. My son in law was killed and i now have the weapon.

Steve
  8. FS00008

FS00008 Сергей Иванович Мосин. Forum Contributor

Unless your son in law was just asking for a felony, it's a Semi. The safety should only have 2 positions. Safe, and Fire.
  9. whuffman

whuffman G&G Newbie

The lower will be marked safe, fire and I think the last mark is full. (don't have mine in front of me.)
    It will probably only switch to safe and fire.
  10. George Mason

George Mason G&G Newbie

PWA made a FANTASTIC weapon. I have had many of them over the years and consider them to be as good/better than colt and other big manufacturers.

I have sold some of my PWA Commando Pre-Ban weapons for over $1,000.00
  11. rockywillson189

rockywillson189 G&G Newbie

I will say that people looking to buy only quality material for their rifle and guns. I searched sites for best product but best means to pay some more money to them. But I want to suggest it’s not like that they are best and other is not, you should try working with them too.
    ar 15 manufacturers