question about being denied for a gun

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ryan boley, Feb 5, 2008.

1. ryan boley

ryan boley G&G Newbie

The last 4 times i have tried to buy a shotgun over a five year period i have been delayed and then denied. I have never been convicted of a felony and have never been court martialed or convicted of domestic abuse. I want to buy an over under shot gun to rabbit hunt with and wanna buy it myself. Anybody know what i can do, or why i keep getting denied.

:feedback:
  2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Enthusiast

ryan boley...
    Immediate questions I think of are:

-Since you didn't state your age...are you of legal age to buy a gun?

-What state disallows your application to purchase a SG?

-Who delayed your application? Gun shop...or County or State?

-If you were using credit, were you turned down for that reason?

Maybe there other reasons possible. I'm just thinking outloud.

Maybe others here have suggestions.

Good luck

Oxford
  3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

I had the impression that you could get a form from your dealer appealing the denial.

You should NOT repeatedly try to buy a gun if you are getting denied. Attempting to purchase a firearm when you can't legally own one is a crime in and of itself, and FFL dealers are required to notify local LE if someone attempts to purchase and is denied.

Now I'm unfortunately going to try to drag you into a situation in the gun owning community. Just know that I warned you.

A certain act of the legislature was recently passed that expanded the NICS database to include state held mental records. Many have feared that this would suddenly deny veterans who had been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder, as well as people who had received various kinds of mental health attention. However, this law also is supposed to provide recourse for those whose denial is a glitch in the system.

Here's the kicker - this law was supported by the NRA, on the basis that it would ONLY add those who had been "adjudicated" mentally defective by a legal authority, not just a doctor's diagnosis. Their arguement was that no one would be prohibited who wasn't already prohibited, just that the system would be more complete. Also that previous funding for restoring people's rights was eliminated a while back, but this law provides that legal expenses would be covered if the result is the restoration of those rights. So it SHOULD restore rights to those who have previously been denied in error.

Me, I don't trust that the records transfer will be clean. I suspect that glitches will be all over the place and that more people will be accidentally denied. And I don't trust that the government will follow through and actually cover the expenses of the appeal process.

But the fact is that the jury's out on this one. Lots of people are waiting to see what results this law will actually have before damning or praising the NRA.

So...

My suggestion and request is that you contact the NRA. They should be overly eager to help this process go forward and make the system work the way they claimed it will. Also the government officials involved will be fresh off their promises and won't be able to back out so easily.

Your story is a case-in-point for what they claimed was the good side of this law. I very seriously hope that they will make a difference for you, and for others. I don't think you could have picked a better time to ask this question.
  4. LarryO1970

LarryO1970 G&G Enthusiast

Have you thought you may also be a victim of identity theft? You may want to check your credit score, etc. While not probable, it is possible.
  5. mym1a

mym1a G&G Newbie

I would want to check that out!!
  6. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

All good information, and you may be one of the people whose SSN was used to create a false card for someone to use in order to get around in the U.S. Contact the Social Security office nearest you, and have your number checked. They can provide you with all the information, such as where the number was used for employment, credit, etc. Check yourself out, and make sure no one is using your identity!!
  7. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

I think I read once that once you are denied, you are automatically flagged for denial on all transactions and it is fairly difficult to get yourself straightend out again. I would certainly look into it soon.
  8. JBS

JBS G&G Newbie

You don't need a shotgun!!!.......Dam Gummint said so!!!.....So just let it drop and pay your taxes like a GOOD CITIZEN.
  9. gak906

gak906 G&G Newbie

If the application was denied on basis of the background check ,Name , DOB, SS# ect. The check is through NCIC . It s kinda common to get kicked back/delayed . meaning that someone somewhere has been arrested , or even may simply have a restraining order that person in question may have your name ,or dob , or may have even unlawfully used your SS#. But in any of those cases thats where the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms comes in and looks into it. I agree with the earlier post If you are wrongfully denied don't just do nothing ( except reaply) contact the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and find out why and get it fixed.
  10. PistolCity

PistolCity G&G Newbie

Another thing I dont know what to call it. But my dad has a perfectly clean record. And Ive seen him get delaid and even denied once or twice. He has a very common name and I think sometimes they see the name and a red flag goes up. Another man with my dads name might be a felon. Last gun my dad bought I was with him and we walked in, filled out the paper work, they called it in and we walked out gun in hand. You might check into it and make sure someone with the same name isnt making a red flag fly up.
  11. LarryO1970

LarryO1970 G&G Enthusiast

A cop I work with continually gets hassled because his SSN is close to that of a felon ... ask any cop how that would ruin their day...

It was just a thought... I hope I'm wrong for your sake, but worth looking into.
  12. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

denied

ryan_boley: Sir; go to your "local" police dept.
    Ask, and don't take crap. Ask for any and all supposed, 'documents', if none; ask why you are being denied.

If you are innocent of crime, of age, with proper identification; you should not be denied.

Be nice at PD. and stick to your ''guns'':)

follow up with what I may be missing in your question and thanks.
  13. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

feller it's interesting in it self that your just now wanting to find out why you've been denied
    buying a gun.
    If it were me and I'm probably wrong. I would tote myself to the local F.B.I. office and be as nice as I could be and I'd ask them to look into the matter. If that didn't help you should go to your Doctor and ask to see your medical records.
    Maybe some sleepy nurse put someone else's record in yours.

Or maybe your not tell'in "ALL" hopeing something you've done in the past will just disapear off your record, over time.
    Good Luck...A.H
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  14. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

You'll have to excuse me but I'm a foreigner and don't quite understand but surely if you are denied permission, then they have to give you a valid reason for the denial? That is the norm in my country.
  15. neophyte

seems

A.H.: Sir; I agree. Seems that something is being left out.
    ryan_boyel: Sir; police dept. if the FBI office is outa reach.
    Get straight forward answers: and do be nice.
  16. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

get a social security number record report. You might have fallen victim to Identification Theft. Someone may have given your name when convicted of domestic violence or something.... Check your credit report too.
  17. TexasD

TexasD G&G Regular

About 24-25 years ago I got pulled over here in Texas for a traffic violation. No big deal right. LEO takews my license and go back to his car to run a check. Next thing I know I have 2 more cars full pull up jump out with guns drawn and order me out of the car and on the ground. Seems like another fella with the exact same name and birthdate was wanted for murder of a LEO in south Texas. Only thing that saved me from some major problems was physical description. He was 5' 8" 200lbs and I am 6'4" 275. Took about 30 minutes with me cuffed and sprawled out to get things cleared up
  18. neophyte

texas

TexasD: Sir; that aint good:34: did you get to scramble any eggs later?
  19. TexasD

TexasD G&G Regular

No sir Neo about 6 months later he got his due when he got pulled over and decided to shoot it out with a couple of DPS officers just outside of San Antonio. But to tell ya the truth I am kinda glad there isn't anybody with my name and such running around causing problems anymore.
  20. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

So far nobody has answered my question.
    If permission is Denied, do "They" not have to give a valid reason?
    (whoever "they" are)
    Is there no system of appeal against this sort of decision?
    Doesn't sound fair to me; the British system is bureaucratic but transparent every step of the way and I just thought that "the land of the free"" would have a system that was just as transparent.