Question on reloading lead pistol bullets?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by rwt101, Aug 30, 2009.

1. rwt101

rwt101 G&G Newbie

I started reloading last year. I have been reloading 9x18 Mak and just started to reload 9x19 Luger. I have always used FMJ bullets or plated bullets. If you use regular lead bullets do they build up lead in the barrel? Or are there any other problems when using them? Even in my .22 rifle I only used plated bullets.
    Bob t
  2. TeeRex

TeeRex G&G Newbie

I shoot a lot of lead cast bullets in .45 auto and .44 mag. I use oregon trail bullets and I don't have a hard time cleaning the barrels out by any means. They say you can push them pretty fast, but my loads for lead bullets aren't much over the published minimums.
  3. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

If the bullet fits the bore, and has a good lube, and the alloy is right, leading shouldn't be a problem.

Barrel leading (Norman F. Johnson)
  4. rwt101

rwt101 G&G Newbie

Very interesting. I appreciate the reply.
    Bob T
  5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I compromised. For just a bit more than cast (And free shipping to boot) I like to use Precision Bullets Moly coats. No leading and cheaper than plated or jacketed.

Precision Bullets Index Page
  6. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

I use hard cast lead bullets for my hot hunting or defence loads. the only time I'll use swaged lead bullets is in low power loads. I don't have any problems with leading my barrels
  7. ironhead7544

ironhead7544 G&G Newbie

Leading can be removed with a piece of Chore Boy or Chore Girl scrubbing pads wrapped around a bore brush with a tight fit. Also from Veral Smiths book. It will also get plastic out of a shotgun bore easily. Find a copy of Veral Smiths book.
  8. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

jimkim used up our bandwidth for the whole week! lol
  9. deadzero

deadzero G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Thanks Jimkim. good information there. that explains one thing that has puzzled me for a long time. my 296 loads for my 357 and 45LC have always showed less (as in very little) leading than my faster powder, low pressure, target loads and I never could understand why.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  10. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Regular

I just finished using Lee Alox on a large number of .456 lead, placing them on wax paper. I've never used Alox before and was surprised it was a black syrup compared to clear. Instructions read to use very little on cast bullets. Applied with fingers. Went back about a day and 1'2 later and bullets had a tacky touch to them. Should I be prepared to cook them in an over to harden up Alox?
  11. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

Oregon trail lazer cast have silver in them to make them harder so they don't lead up as easy. I like to load the slower calibers with lead like 45 acp or 44 special, for the faster ones I like plated.
  12. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

Just "dust" them with a little talc or cornstarch.

How much liquid Alox? - Lubersizers & Lubing Methods - Bullet Casting - The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum

I thin my LLA with a little mineral spirits.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  13. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

Gandog,

Do you like those bullets? Have you had good experiences with them? I was thinking of buying some for my .40.
  14. takdriver

takdriver Suspended

It depends on the bullet. SOme do and some don't. What press do you use? This is my setup with a Dillon 550b The Dillon 550 vs 650 - Takdriver's Forum I reload lead bullets for .38 special target loads. They don't build alot of lead but 9mm luger might. Not sure.
  15. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Regular

Thanks Jim Kim. I was starting to think it was high humidity in the mountains.
  16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I use them for every caliber they make that I have. I use the 185 grain .40 cals for both .40 S&W AND 10mm. I use the 125 grain 9mms for both 9mm and 357 SIG. I use the .45 230 grains for my 1911. I do NOT have any leading problems with any if them.
  17. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Regular

All you who cast lead, I learned the other day from a tire business, thats theres no more market for lead and that they gladly give you all they have.
  18. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

Thanks. That's good to know. I may very well be ordering some next paycheck.
  19. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Regular

1) How does one resize a cast bullet ? I'll be shooting these .456 out of my Mark VI Webley. Is Lee allox the only coating I need or do I also need to use a bullet lube and if so which kind ? 3) What should I seat the bullet at (over all length) ? 4) Are there gas checks available for a .303 British ?
  20. robertsherrer54

robertsherrer54 G&G Newbie

Jimkim, that talc or cornstarch is an exdcellent idea. Wish you had told us about that earlier.
    I shoot all cast from tire weights in .45 ACP and .44 mag and spec and lubed with liquid alox. I lube them then run all through the Lee sizing die then lube them again.
    Never had a problem with leading and have even shot some of my plain base .44s in my .444 Marlin with no leading.
    I have been sitting and wiping the noses off with a towel, but I will try the powder coat next time.