quiet .22 bullets?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jamesw, Oct 27, 2007.

1. jamesw

jamesw G&G Newbie

I remember my dad used to shoot squirrels with his 22 in the city, and had quiet shots, sounded like a pellet gun.

What do i ask for when trying to buy them?

What makes the quiter?
    Are they less powerful?
  2. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

Aguila Super Colibri and I think Remington makes a CB
  3. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

These are called C.B. Caps or if you can find the Aquila brand, Colibri or Super Colibri. These are basically a .22 L.R. with no powder, they fire using the primer only and yes, the power level is a lot less than a standard L.R. round-velocity is usually around 250-300 fps. Be aware though, most cities have very strict laws about shooting in town, no matter what type of firearm or cartridge is used.
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Yep, be very careful of what's beyond the target!
    CCI makes a CB Long that a lot of shooters like, and is supposed to be quiet and more accurate than the Colibri.
    These rounds have very limited accurate distance, rather like a pellet rifle.
  5. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

I think I would rather use my pellet rifle. It has a 8 grain bullet going 1,000 fps and the colibri has a 20 gr bullet going 500fps. You would also get in much less trouble with the pellet rifle if something happened!
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  6. Triggerjerk

Triggerjerk G&G Newbie

Do yourself a favor. Check with Fish and Game to find out the laws about licences, areas where you can shoot, what you can shoot with, etc. Your bunny hugger neighbor sees you shooting squirrels illegally, and it will be a lot more trouble than it is worth. :aargh4:
  7. jamesw

jamesw G&G Newbie

He wouldnt get in trouble, he is a sergeant, for the sheriffs office, and i dont live in the city.
    Thanks guys, i know what to look for now.
  8. Bookman

Bookman G&G Enthusiast

Don't use the Colibri for squirrels. They lack the power needed for a quick kill. CB longs will work if you're dead-on and close.

For quiet shooting I favor the CCI target .22 shorts. They pack more punch than the CB caps and are nearly as quiet.
  9. SilentSoul

SilentSoul G&G Newbie

I used cci long rifle sub sonics and they make more noise hitting the paper than when they fire, you can actually hear the action on the gun cycle. But my Remington speedmaster hated them and would not put a group worth a crap on paper.
  10. Rem 742 30-06

Rem 742 30-06 G&G Newbie

has anybody got these bullets to work in a semi auto properly and consistently
  11. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit G&G Enthusiast

I shot a 1000 fps pellet gun at a stray dog in the yard. Neighbors called the cops and said I was shooting a high power. ...they're idiots :hitwithrock:Three cops come sneaking around the front of my house with their guns drawn. By then, I'd already forgot I shot at the dog. So much for having snaggle-toothed, crack-smoking neighbors. Their house was repossesed a couple months after that.
  12. rfc357

rfc357 G&G Newbie

Most semi-autos will not cycle with sub-velocity ammo. Some will not cycle with standard velocity. Try to find an older gun marked for lr, longs, and shorts.
  13. rckymtnboy

rckymtnboy G&G Newbie

Isn't the CCI target .22 shorts also called a "Midge"? My dad had what he called a midge .22 when I was a kid that was extremely quiet, but very low velocity. I killed all sorts of things with it though. Kinda like a one-pump Red Ryder bb gun, you get used to the arc and become pretty darn accurate after awhile! I know for a fact that they can take out squirrels. :)
  14. Snakebite

Snakebite G&G Newbie

I cant believe people think they are quiet!
    I just shot a super Colibri and a pellet rifle into a phone book inside my house. The Colibri was darn loud and the pellet rifle was much quieter. Still loud but no where near as loud as the Colibri.
    I know the Colibri will sometimes stick in the barrel of the CZ452 so for this test I used a High Standard Duramatic pistol. Maybe the short barrel of the pistol made it louder but still....they aint quiet. It WILL draw attention!
    And the pellet rifle will definitely take small animals and I wouldnt try that with the Colibri.
    I just had to test this after reading it. Good thing I dont test everything I read online. I'm gonna try again with a rifle. Gotta go.
  15. two-70

two-70 G&G Newbie

the good ole ci cb's
  16. gunney_m

gunney_m Suspended

Just like they said, 22 short is a very quiet round, sounds like a cap gun.
  17. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Remember, if your projectile is going faster than ~950 FPS (at sea level), you're still going to have the 'crack' as it breaks the sound barrier. So, those air rifles that shoot 1000 FPS are going to sound like a .22LR with no muzzle blast. You're better off going with an air rifle that doesn't go faster than 800 FPS if you're looking for both legal and quiet.
  18. Thunder-223

Thunder-223 G&G Newbie

i use winchester Z22L 29 grain solid points for when i want a quiet kill. these rounds are designed for indoor target ranges so they have minimal noise. all i normally hear is the firing pin going off
  19. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

I use Remington subsonic hollowpoints with my Ruger 10/22 LR and have never had any problem with cycling. I haven't had a jam yet after 300 or so rounds. They're also accurate enough to hit and pulverize a bird at 25 yards, so no problems with accuracy or power. You will have a muzzle blast, though. The only cure for that would be a silencer; however, considering that's illegal, I definitely wouldn't advise it.
  20. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Actually, that's up to your state law. For instance in my state, it is legal to purchase, own and carry a sound suppressor, but it is illegal to use one on a firearm.

To purchase a sound suppressor, you must pay the BATFE a $200 tax to get a tax stamp for the transfer and it must be done through a Class 3 FFL.