Rainier leadsafe bullets in Glock?

Discussion in 'Glock' started by bountyhunter24, Apr 3, 2009.

1. bountyhunter24

bountyhunter24 G&G Newbie

I bought some Rainier leadsafe bullets which are copper plated not jacketed. Is it OK to shoot these in a Glock? I know you cant shoot lead in a Glock but these are copper plated.
  2. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

They should be just fine fired from your Glock. As long as you don't crimp them to tight into the casing causing the copper to flake off I see no reason why they will perform any differently than a copper jacketed bullet. Also Rainier does not recommend them to be loaded past 1500fps wich shouldn't be a problem for most calibers.
  3. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

Palladin is on the money. They are a bit soft but should be fine. I recommend you seat and crimp in different steps also.
  4. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

Why can't you shoot lead through a glock?
  5. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

No clue why its limited to lead. The feed ramp is to soft an angle and leads to a lack of support for the case web. Although glock claims to have fixed this when we compared a new glock barrel to an XD barrel there is a whole lot of brass hanging out of the glock compared to the XD.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...0um9DA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image

^ great picture of what I am talking about.

Since this is a 9mm and not their reamed out version of a 40 it maybe safer. Not really sure.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  6. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

That sounds nice, TGF, but how would lack of support for the case web area change between lead and jacketed bullets? The lead bullets would probably have less pressure behind them and should therefore be safer if the problem was pressure.

I haven't ever looked closely at a Glock, but based on the surface softness of lead compared to jacketed stuff, I would have guessed there is a tendency to shave lead or for a lead bullet to jam into the end of the ramp, leading to a failure to chamber.

I just can't see how a lead bullet would be more problematic in the web area than jacketed, whereas the shaving and/or jamming is something I can envision, depending on the relationship between the base of the ramp and the top cartridge in the magazine. If the ramp angle is shallower, closer to parallel to the barrel than other guns, it seems that might cause the shaving or impaling effect with soft bullets.

I polished the bottom of the feed ramp on my NM barrel in my .45, rounding it to a radiused approach instead of an edge, and it feeds everything I can put in it without a hitch.
  7. bountyhunter24

Glocks have polygonal rifling. If you shoot lead it builds up in the barrel very fast and can bulge or split the barrel. H&K is the same way.
  8. DaTeacha

Would the Ranier or other plated bullets do the same thing, then? The plating is supposed to reduce lead vaporization in indoor ranges and make them safer to use indoors, but it's almost like a coat of paint on there.

Now I have to wonder why the polygonal rifling tends to load up with lead fouling faster than cut or button swaged conventional rifling. Is it a true polygonal style, or more like the "microgroove" that Marlin uses? Does it have sharp "corners" between flats? That's good stuff to know, enough to persuade me to consider the cost of shooting carefully if I find a Glock for cheap.
  9. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

Teach I was thinking lead meant reloaded, a reload case would be a bit weaker than a new one, especially if it wasn't supported all the way the first time it was fired. I haven't seen non-plated factory rounds for 9mm but I am sure they exist.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  10. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

The plating is thick enough and durable enough that it should not come off in the riflings. I just recieved 1000 berry 180gr plated bullets so I will load some up in my .40 S&W and shoot them through my Glock. I don't think there will be any problems whats so ever with shooting them.
  11. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

The Rainiers should be all right, but I would not trust the cases if they were fired in the Glock. Unsupported chambers just make me cringe for some reason, and I would NOT use them for reloading.
  12. DaTeacha

So Glocks are not real popular among reloaders then?
  13. bountyhunter24

From what I have read, the only problem with unsupported chambers in Glocks is shooting .40 cal. because of the high pressure. The unsupported chamber allows the case to blow out and then blow the magazine out of the gun.
  14. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

It does seem to be most prevalent in the 40 cal, but I have seen KB! pictures from all calibers with the glock. It doesn't mean that all of them were the case ramp though.
  15. muskrat

muskrat G&G Newbie

I shoot around 10,000 9mm rounds a year in my G-17. All are reloads using cases fired in Glocks. I have never had any issues with the "un-supported" case. If you look at other semi-autos you will see that all have some area of non-support for the case heads. I shoot IDPA matches and in the SSP division (most popular) 99.9% of the shooters have Glocks, reload and never have had any issues.
  16. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

I haven't had an issue with shooting reloads out of my first Gen Model 23 with factory barrel. I don't load hot loads for it though. I have shot thousands of rounds through this pistol and most of them have been reloads.
  17. bountyhunter24

This is good to hear. I was not going to reload .40 because of the fear factor, but now maybe I will.
  18. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

I did not know any of this. Does the .40 reload problem(s) carry over to other makers, or just glock? I have 2 or 3 k .40 reloads sitting in an ammo can right now waiting to be used up. They are not particularly hot, but are what would be considered full pressure loads. I am now officially concerned about them...

Anyone have verification on a 9mm glock KB? I have a fair amount of cast lead 9mm. I will have to do more research on polygonal rifling before running them through a glock I suppose.
  19. DocAitch

DocAitch G&G Regular

Copper Plated Bullets in a Glock

POLYGONAL RIFLING is the reason that lead is not recommended for Glocks. In conventional rifling, the lead can be pushed into the grooves but has no place to go with the polygonal barrel. It apparently can build up to dangerous levels and constrict the bore.
    The poorly supported case head is a separate issue which applies to any type of bullet. I shoot plated copper bullets almost exclusively in my Glock 34 and would shoot them in a .40 Glock if I had one (because they are cheaper).
    Both of these issues can be improved with an after market conventionally rifled barrel.
    DocAitch
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  20. kjtpa

kjtpa G&G Newbie

I am glad I didn't know about lead bullets in Glocks... I have loaded and shot over 25k in my G23 in the last 16 years. I have loaded some +P+ stuff too. I am looking to load for a G17 now and just got some plated bullets. Only got them to pass the range requirements... To read this stuff just hurts. I used to run 5-10 FMJ after every 100 or so lead to clean the barrel. I guess I am just luck I never blew up my gun. Live and learn.