Read this about 38/357 in another forum, what do you think?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by thaddy1978, Oct 20, 2010.

1. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Newbie

I was reading through another forum and questioned it, what do you all think? Is this playing with fire...so-to-speak?

"If you ONLY have 38 Special cases and ONLY use them in the GP100 you could load a mid-range .357 Magnum charge in them with the 158 grain bullets but absolutely don't run them through a 38 Special revolver. It will probably spontaneously dis-assemble. If you have 357 cases just load mid-range loads with it."

I don't suppose there are copyright issues with this, are there?
  2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I don't know about CR issues but why did he post what he believes is a dangerous load to be used in evidently multiple guns?I would advise sticking to the authorised load book data.
  3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

You kind of defeat the general purpose of shooting .38 specials out of a .357 mag . I shoot them for practice because they are cheaper and have less recoil.
  4. cjleete

cjleete G&G Enthusiast

Ugh, that's a really bad idea. Did the wingnut who offered this pearl of wisdom try it himself first?
  5. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Enthusiast

kinda the 33/44 s&w built some years ago.
    dumbasses thinking they could use higher pressure +p rounds. sheesh...:lol:
  6. Slow Go

Slow Go G&G Newbie

"...absolutely don't run them through a 38 Special revolver."

That's true, so far as it goes; it doesn't go far enough.

The marginal ballistic value of a "mini-.357" vs. the potential risk of a .38 blow-up is too serious to bother with such silly things.
  7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Let's say I made some of these things. Let's say I'm on my way to the range, and a semi makes hamburger out of me. Do I want my foolish heirs to see a box marked .38 special, give one to a buddy with a .38, and blow his buddy's face off?

I don't think so.
  8. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

I'm with Samuel on this one

Use common sense. .357 cases and recommended loadings in .357 mag revolvers. If you have .38 special cases then go with recommended loadings for firing in .38 special revolvers and you can fire these in .357 mag revolvers. The cartridges are well covered in the major reloading manuals.

A little safety pays big dividends.
  9. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

You have to wonder about the long term survival of the Species when you read stuff like this.

Yes, it could be done, by WHY take the chance of creating a potential "time bomb" waiting to go off in unsuspecting hand(s)?

Anyone who picks up a cartridge with a head stamp of ".38 Spl." is going to assume it is loaded to .38 Spl. pressures, and use it accordingly.

Very bad JuJu to load ammo out of spec.

It is as sane as storing Bleach or some other caustic chemical in a "Distilled Water" plastic jug with the wrong label.
  10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Yeah, Darwin Award nominee for sure.
  11. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Trying to give the guy at least a modicum of credit, he was probably thinking that the original .357 loads were developed in .38 spl. cases and the case was lengthened solely to prevent idiots like him from blowing up innocent guns never designed to take the higher pressure. Maybe?? Sort of?? Hopefully??

Whatever, don't do it. Just break down and get some .357 brass and do it right.
  12. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Newbie

Yeah, this may be what he is referring to. Still though, what amazed me, is that no one else commented (from when I read it) about how potentially dangerous this is. Here's a question, though...because I do like the history of things: Were those loads different at all from the lengthened 357? Because what you have is totally different case capacity. I happened to like the differences in my 38sp and 357. I load very differently. And I agree, just buy some 357.
  13. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

I'm also with Samual on this...
    Foolin' around with sumpthin that ya don't need to fool around with is truly foolish.
    Accident waiting to happen.
  14. Bookman

Bookman G&G Enthusiast

Teach, I think you are correct.
    Let's remember, guys, there was a time (1946 - early 1950's) when .357 brass was simply not available to the average Joe. Early handloaders were forced to use .38 Special brass to create magnum loads for their N-frame revolvers.
    Is this a good idea today? No way, Jose ..... but if used exactly as the OP describes it would not be a safety hazard per se.
  15. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf G&G Regular

I would not do it. The .357 mag case is longer to lessen the pressure. I had a .45 bullet that got pushed deeper into the case during the feeding cycle (a factory load, not one of my loads) The overpressure ruptured the case, and I wound up picking brass particles out of my face! Wearing shooting glasses is a good idea too.
  16. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

If you only have 38 spl cases and you want magnum performance you go and BUY .357 cases. They are not rare, or hard to come by. Even if you mark the 38 spl box "high pressure-use in .357 magnum revolver only" things happen. Just not a good idea.
  17. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Newbie

I think what Bookman was saying, was at one point in time (in the 50's), .357 cases were hard to come by. Hell, when Obama walked on into office, everything was hard to come by? You all remember that? But you are right, "things happen."
  18. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

The original poster you thaddy1978 ,was talking about current times and I was addressing more or less on those lines. I would think warnings on the boxes in several places could minimize a mix-up. I always stockpiled so when OB came into office I had thousands of cases and rounds already stored which I had picked up in the preceding years.
  19. Big Cholla

Big Cholla G&G Newbie

Gray Wolf: Your overpressure situation was a different problem in physics from the .38 special vs. .357 mag case question. The .357 case is identical in all physical aspects of the .38 special case except for length. That was solely to prevent the mag case with much higher pressure being chambered in handguns designed only for .38 special pressures.

Your pressure problem was from a time/pressure development curve/chamber volume relationship that was put out of specification for that specific powder by the position of the bullet that was driven deeper into the cartridge case.

........... Big Cholla
  20. mikld

mikld G&G Newbie

IF I was the only one to see these cartridges/loads
    IF I were the only one to shoot these loads.
    IF the only gun I had was a .357.
    Then it is doable, but very unwise practice. An expert in handgun development did a lot of this in .44 Special developing the .44 magnum, but he was very well schooled/experienced in loading for handguns and he BLEW UP SEVERAL GUNS IN THE PROCESS...