Recommended semi-auto pellet rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tpa05, Jul 29, 2009.

1. tpa05

tpa05 G&G Newbie

First thanks for the help. I'm new here and this is my first thread. Ok, here goes. I'm purchasing a pellet rifle for my 12 year old and am looking for a semi-auto model. At first I narrowed it down to the Crosman-66 Powermaster and the Daisy 880-powerline. I liked the Crosman as it fired semi-auto (kinda) but was hard for him to pump. He was partial to the Daisy however it loads one at a time and after an hour my fingers looked like they'd been dipped in ink.

Ok, now I'm considering a CO2 as these (from what I've seen anyway) seem to be the only semi-auto pellets out there. Any help or suggestions would be great.
  2. Sooner Shooter

Sooner Shooter G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I just can't imagine a semi automatic pellet gun being reliable. In fact I didn't even know they existed. For safety sakes I could only recommend a reliable break barrel, especially for a young shooter. A lot can be learned from time spent with a single shot. With a firearm this is especially true. Hope you find the right gun for your boy.
  3. paynetrain

paynetrain G&G Newbie

Crossman 1077, I have one and its reliable.After about 36 shots you start noticing a difference in power though. And you go thro alot of pellets .If co2 cartridge is cold it seems to be less powerfull also.It is accurate and feeds with no problem. I only use crossman pointed hunting pellets in it.
  4. tpa05

tpa05 G&G Newbie

Thanks Paynetrain. The 1077 is just what I'm looking at and am considering the 1077AS (the one that holds the larger CO2) for the reasons you described above regarding quick loss of power. Your thoughts on the 1077AS would be great by the way.

As for what pellet to use, I purchased the Crosman pellets labeled "Pointed Premium Grade Lead Airgun Pellets". Gotta assume those are the ones you're talking about no?

My apologies if I seem new at this. That's because I'm new at this.
  5. paynetrain

paynetrain G&G Newbie

I think the AS is a good Idea. I have a few pellet guns and just decided the smaller 12 gram cartridges were fine for me as much as Im gonna use it. It is decently powered as far as Im concerned.You could take out birds and other small varmints with it.But it would not be the Ideal hunting weopen, its great for plinking though.
    Good luck
  6. tpa05

tpa05 G&G Newbie

It's gonna be squirrels Paynetrain if it'll allow. Damn things tore the screen apart in the backyard and will cost a couple hundred to fix. Again, your opinion on that would be great as well. I'll put a scope on it just to ensure I don't miss but I'll need to first be convinced I'll do the trick without creating other problems.

One more question. How loud is it compared to pump action rifles like the powermaster-66 or the daisy powerline-880? Neighbors haven't complained and the ones that know what I'm doing said they don't mind as long as I agree to help with their squirrel problems as well.

Thanks again for your help Paynetrain.
  7. alexWA

alexWA G&G Newbie

I am also considering the 1077AS for my son because it's something that I would have liked as a kid. The only question I have is: what can I do to avoid buying disposable CO2 cartridges since I have a scuba tank at home.

here's my idea:
    1) connect the KingMan Deluxe CO2 Fill Station to the AirForce Scuba Refill Clamp with Gauge (I hope this works - I don't know if it does but the images look like they might)

2) charge the Daisy Avanti 2.5 ounce refillable cylinder

3) screw the refillable cylinder to the AirSource adapter (again, I am unsure if this fits)

maybe someone already has a working solution to this problem and can provide a shopping list :))

thanks !
  8. tpa05

tpa05 G&G Newbie

I like the idea and in terms of convenience (and money saved!). Then the engineering part a me came out. I gotta tell ya that since reading the thread earlier this morning I thought "why not just cut out the middle man?" and, with this, keep getting this image of the rifle hooked directly up to the scuba tank. With the YouTube craze lately, the image of a shooter wearing a scuba tank connected to a rifle (think image of a flamethrower) walking around the woods hunting would definately make its way around for sure.
  9. alexWA

alexWA G&G Newbie

10. paynetrain

paynetrain G&G Newbie

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Guns-1077-Semiauto-Rifle/dp/B001BS3YW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249158313&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Crosman Air Guns #1077 .177 Semiauto Air Rifle: Sports & Outdoors[/ame],
    Its louder than my Daisy 880, but not quite as loud as my storm break barrel.I wish I had gotten extra clips , cause you go through the pellets fast and it takes a minute to reload the clip.Ill give you a range report today and maybe even do a video or somethin with it.
  11. alexWA

alexWA G&G Newbie

if you come across a refillable gas tank for it, please post it too. I want to avoid buying disposable CO2 cartridges.
  12. tpa05

tpa05 G&G Newbie

First to Paynetrain, not sure how to begin to say thanks for all of the help. Not sure what else to say beyond how much I appreciate all of the extra effort you're putting into helping me (and Alex?) with this. Again thanks for the help!

As for he larger CO2 bottles, where can these be purchased? I know the smaller CO2 can be found just about anywhere but how/where can the larger one's for the AS-version be found?

Thanks.
  13. paynetrain

paynetrain G&G Newbie

I have seen those at Walmart I think. Here is a range report from 30 yds with my rifle.Im not the steadiest of shots but I thought it was ok I guess.

Attached Files:

14. paynetrain

paynetrain G&G Newbie

No problem,glad I could help. here is my gun and another range report I posted earlier in the year and I think it was removed during remodeling or something.

Attached Files:

15. tpa05

tpa05 G&G Newbie

Again I can't thank you enough for your help Paynetrain. It looks like the 1077 is it. Still back and forth regarding the "AS" version as I haven't found out where I can easily pick up spare CO2. As for the 1077 itself, any recommendations? Any suggestions on where to pick up the rifle and especially the CO2 would be great.

Thanks again for the help.
  16. tpa05

tpa05 G&G Newbie

WOW - Just read a warning on a retailers website that the 1077 and AS1077T are not to be used with Pointed Pellets. Of the 25-30 rifles shown, the 1077 is the only rifle that has this warning. Why shouldn't pointed pellets be used? In an earlier reply to this thread I mentioned how I just purchased the Crosman Pointed Premium Grade Lead Airgun Pellets.

Man, hopin' this didn't just put a dent (pun sorta intended) in my decision to pick up the 1077.

Here's one of the websites that had the message:

Crosman Air Rifles and BB gun Rifles At Cobra Airguns
  17. paynetrain

paynetrain G&G Newbie

I just dont know, ahhhh,, thats allways what Ive used in mine with no problems. Maybe someone had a problem with theres somewhere and they have to put it on the rifle now.
  18. Stevej

Stevej G&G Newbie

19. eugene

eugene G&G Newbie

nice shootin pt
  20. tpa05

tpa05 G&G Newbie

Thanks Stevej for the link. I added a thread that reads pretty simple - "Notice to NOT use pointed pellets with the 1077". Added this a few days ago but with no responses. Looked around and tried to get more info but still can't understand why (1) Crosman pointed pellets can't be used on a Crosman rifle and (2) why it's the only rifle that has this message.

Thanks guys for the help. Oh, and ditto on the fine shootin' PT!

John