Recurve/traditional Vs Compound

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Papa de Trois, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Papa de Trois

Papa de Trois G&G Newbie

So, really, how much more efficient/accurate (given equal abilities of the archer) is the compound bow vs. a traditional bow?

I know the trajectory is flatter furhter out, but.......??

Papa

p.s. I am looking at getting back into archery.... I used to target shoot in high school eons ago.... Old #28 recurve. Want to be able to hunt whitetails here in Illinois for more than 6 days (shotgun season)
  2. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

OFF TOPIC!!But I must say it anyhow to all arrow stickers.Not that you have no Right to hunt with a Bow of any configuration.But I'm tired of shooting arrow shot Deer that are suffering from a misplaced Bow shot.I have shot them Rifle Hunting or out my window in Bow season.If your going to stick it kill it,don't neck belly or ham shoot it,it wont kill.
  3. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Well Papa, I'll start off with the fact that I've never hunted with bow and arrow before. I've only shot at 25 yard max targets. But, that being said, I have shot short, long, long recurve, and medium compound bows. My favorite one to shoot and the one I was more accurate with was the long recurve. The compound bow just felt really unnatural after it hit the 'cam-point', not sure if that's what it's called but I'm sure you know what I mean, where it suddenly got easier to pull. Now, for hunting game, where you can be at full-draw for up to a minute, waiting for a clean shot, I can see where a compound bow is really your best choice, as you can have sufficient final draw weight while not having to be Arnold to hold the bowstring at full draw.

Hope my fairly-inexperienced advice was of some help. :sad:
  4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

#1 jolie, alot gun hunter wound 'em too!!!

to the original question, a compound is easier to shoot accurately but the real accuracy belongs to the archer. for the same poundage bow, a compound will carry alot more arrow speed, and energy. a 28# bow wont cut it though, get yourself something in the 45-60 pound range. if you plan on hunting this fall, you best get crackin' and get a bow and start practicing.
  5. RabidPitWeasle

RabidPitWeasle G&G Regular

You wanna try somthin fun, try bowfishin. I use a 40lb recurve w/spool and construction string. two more weeks the carp will be spawning:196:
  6. Casull

Casull G&G Newbie

No contest. The compound device is much easier to use and much quicker to develop accuracy with (why not, most guys are shooting trigger releases, multiple pin sights, lightweight carbon shafts and pint sized broadheads). However, nothing equals the satisfaction of learning to shoot a bow (recurve or longbow). If you have the time to master it, go with a real bow, and enjoy. :burnout:
  7. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

I learned to shoot with a recurve with no sights, which was a lot of fun. But there really is no comparison to a recurve to a compound. A compound is more consisitent, more accurate and a good deal faster. And you will probably find a 28 lb draw is illegal to hunt with. New compound bows with higher let-off's are very easy to shoot at 60 or 70 pounds.
  8. Papa de Trois

Papa de Trois G&G Newbie

yea the #28 is what I used to use, still have it, but won't use it to hunt with....

I think the compound will be the choice. More accuracy for me means more humane kill....to placate all those extremists who have to "put down" all those maimed deer the bow hunters obviously don't care about:kiss:

I will also buy a new recurve.. for target and fun and maybe eventually in a few years, hunting.. Anyone know much about horsebows(hungarian,turkish, mongolian)? They sure are beautiful!
    [​IMG]

Papa
  9. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

I compare traditional archery to fly fishermen. Hunting with a compound is not easy, but hunting with a recuve is even harder as you need to get closer to your quarry and you don't have the benefit of the draw force weight dropping off after the cam breaks over like you do with a compound. I played with a recuve for a while but I'm sticking to my compounds.

Here is a pic of my Ross 334. It is one of the smoothest drawing bows on the market today. If you get a chance you should try one.

[​IMG]
  10. ICE-MAN

ICE-MAN G&G Newbie

the two keys to shooting any bow.is 1) anchor point = drawing to the same point each and every shot. you wonna be accurate find a comfortable anchor point at full draw with either compound or traditional equipment.no matter what this tip is hands down the most important tip for shooting a bow you will ever get.2) i do not care what type of equipment you are shooting the second most important tip you will ever get is practice.. and for those who doubt that a 45 pound recurve will take a derr affectively at distances greater than 20 yards school is in session i can teach any of you to kill a deer with a compound bow out to fifty yards consistantly and cleanly and a hand made recurve or long bow that is custom made has ibo speeds to rival most compounds on the market so buy good equipment and practice often and you will be successful regardless of the equipment you choose to shoot
    happy and safe shooting and hunting to all this coming season
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  11. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Enthusiast

To each his own but one this is for sure.................practice,practice, practice!
    "New stuff ", compounds are by far the quickest to the target and easier to pull as they reverse load as opposed to a re-curve that loads as you pull.
    Big difference. Anybody who has shot both knows what I mean.
    I was in front of the curve as i hunted with a RedWing Hunter, re-curve.
    New equipement is much more efficient in speed, accuracy plus the ability to hold on the target longer. Which IMO, leads to better hit/kill ratios.
  12. sigscout

sigscout G&G Newbie

So what you are all saying is..

A recurve has potential to cost less, harder to draw, larger, and takes longer to get constantly accurate. Right?

with compound being expensive, smaller (although not nessarily lighter), easier to draw, much easier to retain accuracy, and can be held at "cam point" longer?

I jusy baught a 60 lb. compound(Parker Trailblazer XP) last friday at Sportsmans Wearhouse:headbang:, I've alwayse wanted one. With 12 arrows 6 target tips 6 broad tips, quiver, the "wrist triger thing" :), and the Bow came with the other (hardware)esentials as a kit totaled $600.:feedback:

My good friend thaught this was an obserd amount to pay for a bow, he says I should ha ve gone with a recurve... but he alwayse acts like he knows everything. I want to be able to go turkey hunting this spring and actually get something. As I'm sure I will:stupid:

I have been a pistol/rifel target shooter since I was 12, and I'm getting a lottle tired of cleanning my guns all the time.
    -Thanks
  13. M1A Gunner

M1A Gunner G&G Newbie

Knowing that we are in 2009 and knowing that there are hundreds of top of the line compounds why would you sell yourself short on anything less? Now, I know I'm new here and I'm not looking to ruffle traditionalist feathers, but a compound bow screams confidence and has the abillity to effectively kill (humanely) game animals. I must say that a recurve or long bow w/o sights takes much more skill and practice. However a compund bow is a beautiful piece of equipment.

My wife bought me a new Diamond Marquis for chirstmas and two days later (because of work, not difficultly setting up) I had a 3 inch group at 25 yards w/o issues. If you become a good archer, a strong compund bow will almost always get you a pass through shot meaning deer pass quickly and they don't go very far (there are always some exceptions to the rules) but more often than not, it will get the job done.
  14. deerhuntertyler

deerhuntertyler G&G Newbie

Personally I hunt with a compound bow. This was my first year bow hunting (I'm 14) I decided that it would be nice if i can hold the bow at full draw for up to 2 minutes sometimes. Some day when I get more experience as a bow hunter I would like to take up hunting with a re-curve bow, but I think it will be a few years.
  15. grueinthedark

grueinthedark G&G Newbie

[​IMG]

A tale of two kids...

I was watching a couple of kids shooting targets at a function at our club. The first kid had a $1,500 dollar compound bow with all the newest gadgets. He did not shoot consistently and had a very low score when the day was done. Complaining it was the bow fault, he wanted his dad to buy something else to make his bow better.

The second kid had a $150 recurve he bought with his own money and the only gadget on the bow was a simple rest. This kid scored had a high score. Asking both how long they had been shooting, the kid shooting the recurve had only a month longer than the kid with the compound.

Well this surprised me because I figured the recurve kid must have years of shooting over the other kid and I asked him what his secret was. With a smirk he replied, "I gave up training wheels when I was three."
  16. pruneemac

pruneemac G&G Newbie

in terms of velocity my longbow chrono's at 177 fps, my recurve at 190 fps and my compound at 270 fps. in terms of what will you be most accurate in the shortest amount of time? no question a compound. Buy a Hoyt.
  17. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

A recurve is simplicity...much like an Iron-sights rifle. It does take a wee bit more dedication and practice to be shootin arrows in tight groups. BUT, after you get good at it, you can pick up almost any bow and be pretty much ballistically accurate after a couple of shots to get used to it.

A Compund is more complex and needs more tuning & fiddling with...much like a tricked out target rifle...also has more available accessories.

Funny part is, for all the time you spend monkeying about with accessories & the constant tuning, you spend about the same amount of time you would have if you'd trained with a recurve...lol

Really funny thing after that...the recurve costs far less...all ya need are arrows & a new string about every 5 years.

:)
  18. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Enthusiast

i'm not so sure about compounds costing more. sure you can buy a $700 matthews but i spent several gun seasons sitting at home because i filled my five tags with a whitetail II bow that cost me less than $150.some recurves can cost well over $800 and the exotics are outragious. can't seem to be able to do that anymore cause our limits are 3 bucks and 10 does here now.
  19. OldTimer

OldTimer G&G Newbie

I learned to shoot with stick bows, my first bow was a(n abused) 50# recurve. I currently own a Hoyt compound. I chose the compound for two reasons: 1) it cost less new than the traditional stick bows-even used-that I was used too (supply and demand at the time), and 2) I wanted it for hunting...love that "let off".

Yes, a compound can let you draw and hold a heavier bow but in my experience, the stick bows are more accurate out of the box. Their length makes them more stable and less likely to "wander" at full draw. FWIW, I prefer to shoot bare-bow (no sights to lose, bend, et c.) My stick bow had no gadgets except for an arrow rest, not even "silencers" or dampers on the string; unfortunately it was old and abused when I got it and the riser cracked one day...RIP. My compound OTOH needed a counterbalance and "silencers" out of the box. I couldn't hold it really steady at full draw without the counterbalance, and every deer has always "jumped" the string; I have to limit my shots to 20 yds max. even with dampers. 'Tis a poor musician who blames his instrument... I can, and do shoot the Hoyt bare bow but gotta have the counterbalance still; no matter how much I practice without it, that bow just has wanderlust. ;)

No science, just my experience and observations, and .02; YMMV, :D
  20. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

What parts didja put on that compound bow??
    Gotta have a sight...
    gotta have a front stabilizer....
    gotta have a release...
    gotta have an arrow rest...
    gotta have a wrist loop...
    gotta slap some Limbsavers on it...
    some folks like to put a quiver ON the bow...

Even going with the least expensive stuff from Wal-mart, that's another $150+ easy...and if you go Top Class...it adds up fast.

I've never paid over $50 for a recurve...never bought one new, either ;) There's plenty good used recurves all over the place...yard sales...flea markets...pawn shops...heck, some folks will just GIVE ya one just to getcha started in Archery!! I know I've donated a few!!

But paying more than $350 cash for any bow grates on me...the only one I would ever cough up more than that for is a Hoyt. Be it Recurve or Compound. Mostly because I can still get a New Pearson for around 3 bills, and they'll shoot well enough for a few trophys :) Although...I'm thinking about a Hoyt for 2010...

Then again, ain't no reason to change from my Pearson Accumax 2000 just yet...I still harrass the Hoyts & Matthews at the IBO shoots just fine :D