rem 700 vtr or howa m1500?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by hzrdous, Apr 23, 2008.

1. hzrdous

hzrdous G&G Newbie

okay i went to my local gun shop looking to by a .308, well the only to that he had at the time was a remington 700 vtr and a howa m1500. The rem is new for 2008 with the triangle barrel and intergal muzzle brake, the howa is a bull barrel in a h.s. presicion ventilated stock. My question is which one... There both priced about the same about $20 less for the howa. Is the rem. worth that or is it just a rem. 700 sps with a different barrel? Thanks, you input will surely help decide.
  2. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

I'd buy the Remington for looks, reliability, and a really good trigger.

I've heard that the VTR is pretty accurate.

I don't know much about the Howa though. Someone around here does, I'm sure :D
  3. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

I would think they would both be very accurate, I personally would go for the Howa. I don't like muzzle breaks, either.
  4. mwatson

mwatson G&G Newbie

I would go with the Remington...Is this for varmit hunting or deer?
    Mike
  5. hzrdous

hzrdous G&G Newbie

Since I reload I'll probably reload it for both deer and groundhogs.
  6. 338RemUltraMag

338RemUltraMag Suspended

well I know which 700 you are talking about and it is ugly as hell... and howa's are very accurate, I have one in 300 WSM, touches all the bullets in one ragged hole at 100 yds, and that is not with the bull barrel... could only imagine with one
  7. hzrdous

hzrdous G&G Newbie

I kinda like the way the vtr looks, but looks aren't what I want. I want accuracy and I know that 700s are fairly accurate, I just dont know that much about Howa. I've heard they're made in japan or something? I mean can you even adjust the trigger in the Howa yourself or does a gunsmith have to do it? (not that i wouldn't take it to one anyway for safety reasons) And what about re-sale will the Howa hold value like a 700? These are some of the things I would like to find out before I spend the money.
  8. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

I'd buy the Howa. Weatherby seems to like thier quality as well as S&W and Mossberg. They are good quality rifles. Go to the S&W forum and ask about the S&W 1500.
  9. 338RemUltraMag

338RemUltraMag Suspended

Well the Howa is not in the same price range as a 700 so value is not comparable they are like a high end savage, more of a work rifle (but still looks good). My Howa will hold a five shot group of .4 inch prtty impressive for a sporter barrel, I don't know of any 700 othr than the sendero that comes close to that, even the varmint and tactical guns are guarenteed 1 inch only, I own 3 mdl 700 rifles and only one is tighter than 1 inch all the rest are at 1 inch to 1.5 inch groupers, my gun dealer said to be happy with a 2-3 inch out of a 700...
  10. baltimorelaw

baltimorelaw G&G Newbie

I would go remington - more established track record of quality and accuracy. I think, theoretically, the triangular barrel is supposed to increase the stiffness of the barrel and thus be more accurate too. Muzzlebreak is a plus too, besides less recoil, since it is only cut on the top it will create less muzzle jump which keeps you on target for the second shot (which you shouldn't need!)
  11. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

Which one shoots better? If you cant hit the barn door standing in the barn don't buy the gun. Which rifle is higher in quality the Remington or the Weatherby.
  12. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

Cant go wrong with either one, I suggest buying the one that fits you best. If you are patriotic buy the Ramington its US made. Howa is made in japan but they make the barrels for the weatherby vanguard series. Like I said neither one is a bad decision.