Rem. Model 750 Semi-Auto's

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Uwharrieman, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Uwharrieman

Uwharrieman G&G Newbie

I have read several "bad" reviews of the Remington semi-auto models,
    and would like to hear what some of you who have these models have
    to say. I read they still "jam" all the time, and for whatever reason the
    scopes don't seem to stay sighted in after a few rounds.

While I'm here, what about the Rem.model 7400 Weathermaster, the
    stainless steel model? Anybody have one of these?
  2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

The old 740s were finicky and wore out quickly. The 742 was an improvement but still needed to be cleaned regularly to function. Clean? Do I need to do that?

I have had great luck with my 7400 in -06. I have put lots of rounds through it, cleaned it regularly with once a year doing a break down cleaning and have had zero problems with it. As far as the scope not staying zeroed....change scopes and make sure the mounts are tightened properly.

As far as the 750 is concerned is that they improved the gas tube port design so that the bullet doesn't swage going across the opening. Supposedly cutting down on malfunctions. Heard that from a remington rep at a gun shop.
  3. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Like most good products

the Remington semi-autos have improved from one model number to the next as the years move forward. That does not mean the older ones were bad. Any semi-auto needs proper cleaning and lubrication.

I, and many others, do wish the trigger would be of higher quality.
    If Remington does not improve the trigger I hope someone will market a higher quality replacement.

Otherwise, the current gun is of very high quality.
  4. Shelly Morris

Shelly Morris G&G Newbie

750 remington

The old 740 ,s did have a few problems cleaning etc , then came the 742 good gun but keep clean then the 7400 and model 4 with a different locking lug breech bolt assembly excellent gun.
    I have all 4 Then they brought out the 750 (nothing but problems jamming the 1st year) Remington told there dealers the problem was resolved it was a clip issue WRONG most of the 2008 models also jammed!!
    I know of 1 dealer that shipped back over 30 new 750,s until they get the problem fixed and admit there was a problem he will never order another 750.
    I personally e-mailed remington about why they would give up on the 7400 which was a proven action and reliable semi,they replied that there was no report of a problem!
    I have spoken to gunsmiths and they say stay away, I have always had remingtons and love the carbine BUT I will never buy a new one till this problem is RESOLVED!!! COME ON REMINGTON FANS LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!
    I also heard a rumour that Remington was purchased by someone or another company
  5. slamfire

slamfire G&G Newbie

I have an old 7400 and a new 750 carbine, both in .35 Whelen. No ejection problems with either of these.

I've had the 7400 for years. The fore end cap spacer eventully split after removing and replacing the fore end for cleaning over the years.

The ejector port cover developed a crack after many years and then split and jammed the bolt open. Recommended to keep an eye on this cover and replace it when a crack begins to develop.

Otherwise these are reliable and fairly accurate rifles and are just the thing when you have multiple targets to contend with. :AR15firing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Shelly Morris

Shelly Morris G&G Newbie

I agree I love my Remingtons I will never part with the ones I have!!
    My son wanted a gun for hunting and he likes my 7400 30/06 carbine, so when they came out with the 750 in different calibers available I purchased a 750 308 carbine (returned) the second year supposedly problem fixed He wanted to try the 750 35 whelin (RETURNED AGAIN)
    I am just stating the problems I have had and other resources as in my letter above.
    PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM
  7. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

upstate New Yorkistan [the first openly totalitian

Sounds like an ammo problem to me. My local shop where I just put a 750 carbine in 308 on layaway, has not had any customers complian about any of the 750s. I've been buying guns there for over 25 years, and Dave wouldn't sell me a shitty gun if there were problems. Like all semi-autos, you need to shoot factory ammo, or use a small base die when reloading ammo for them.
  8. EtherialOne

EtherialOne G&G Regular

Model Four

I just picked up a Modle Four in .243 and my initial impression is quite favorable, although I've only put about 35 rounds through it so far. Can't wait till a little warmer weather and the time to put it through it's paces. Glad to hear mostly positive reviews about the older 7400's.
  9. GSPKurt

GSPKurt G&G Newbie

I must strongly disagree with your response. I have a 750 synthetic in .308, and would happily sell it to you and you can see how much fun it is to try and get that POS to function properly. I am trying to get the shop that sold it to me to take it back.
  10. GSPKurt

GSPKurt G&G Newbie

The shop took it back and gave me full credit today. I wasn't about to send it back to Remington again to fix the same problem. I bought a Browning BAR in .308 and ran out of the store before they could change their mind! I have a Weaver scope base and an extra magazine for the 750 that you can have for postage if you want them. Email me at GSPKurt *at* att dot net.
  11. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]That's funny. I've read more than a few articles comparing the Browning with the 750 Remington. The 750 Remington beats the Browning and is 100% reliable.

Here's a review from May of 2007 GUN TESTS of the Remington 750, Benelli R1, and the Browning BAR safari.

Remington - "This was the lowest cost, most accurate, comfortable and versitile rifle we tested. Also, it was the only rifle in the test made in the USA. It's a BEST BUY in our estimation." Grade A
    Accuracy 5 shot groups - Federal 30-06 150gr Power Shok - 1.1" average
    - Black Hills Gold 168gr Match HPBT - 0.8" average
    - Sellier & Bellot 180gr soft points - 1.1" average

Benelli - "Lots to like here. Good looking satin finished walnut stock, unscoped weight just over 7lbs, a fitted case, adjustable stock length and cast,interchangable barrels, optional open sites, crisp 5.5 lb trigger, contemporary cosmetics, and a host of other features. But the high price and mediocre accuracy put this gun in the average range despite it's positives." Grade C
    Accuracy 5 shot groups - Federal 150gr - 1.4" average
    - Black Hills Gold 168 HPBT match- 1.2" average
    - Sellier& Bellot 180gr- 1.7"

Browning Safari BAR - "The Browning BAR is a solid, functional time-proven design that shot nearly as well as the Woodsmaster but was more expensive. There were a few ticky-tack things on it we didn't like as much as the 750, but nothing fatal. It has nice engraving the other lacked, but was only slightly heavier than the R1, despite having a STEEL reciever. Grade B

Accuracy 5 shot groups - federal 150gr - 1.6" average
    - black hills gold 168HPBT Match- 0.9" average
    - Sellier & Bellot 180gr. - 1.4" average

Considering the fact that the Remington cost less, and shoots smaller groups than the Browning or Benelli with the test ammo, I fail to see were it's a POS. Sounds like people are comparing the 7400 series to the Brownings not the 750s. There was also this bit of info that relates to the discussion of gasport pressures in this thread.

"The gasblock on the 750's barrel has been moved rearward, which also moves the gas orfice hole reaward. Moving the gas hole back captures gases sooner and under greater pressures, which should increase reliability by giving more consistant bolt velocities."

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I guess I'll find out when I pick up my Carbine in a few weeks and start putting bullets down range.
    [/FONT]
  12. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

13. GSPKurt

GSPKurt G&G Newbie

I truly hope you have good luck with your 750. Maybe my last name should be Murphy...

Keep us informed about your 750. I promise I will never say "I told you so" if you have trouble. I really hope you have no trouble with yours and mine was just an anamoly.
  14. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

I got to the range with the 750 Carbine this weekend, and so far so good. It feed everything ok and spit the shells out about 5' away. Here is a few targets from ammo I've had for over 20 years and a picture of the New Toy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had VERY high pressure signs with the 180 grain load, and won't be shooting that one in the 750 unless Bigfoot is pounding on my door and wanting in. That load gave 2655 fps in my model 70 carbine years ago. That's real fast for a 180 grain bullet coming out of a 20" 308 Winchester barrel.
  15. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

I got to the range again this past weekend, Saturday and Sunday, and I had mixed results with the gun. It feed everything fine, but I was not able to duplicate the .892" groups again. Most loads tried were between 1" and 1.8" has an average, with more over 1.5" than under it. Granted, that is very good accuracy for a short barreled semi-auto, but I was hoping for more. I still have some loads to try and hope to get something fast [2400-2600fps] and with a 1.5" or less average group size. The 18" barrel hurts the velocities, but make the gun so nice to handle.
  16. GSPKurt

GSPKurt G&G Newbie

Did you clean it thoroughly? Copper remover, too? Same ammo?
  17. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

Yeh I did Kurt. I bring my whole cleaning set-up from the house to the range with me. One piece rods, brushes, jags, rifle vise, ect. I only fire 2 groups of 3 shots then I clean the gun while it cools down. This ammo is over 20 years old, so I may not have been as diligent with my loading techiques back then as I am now. I figure if I have one of the loads show some promise, I'll load up some fresh ammo with new bullets and try it out. IMR3031 shows promise as a powder with the 150-165 grain bullets, so I loaded up some Accutips, Speer SP, Hornady RN, Speer FP, ect. with that powder and will try to get some bullets on paper. It was a windy cold day Sunday and it was also windy Saturday. With the warming temps, I should be more comfortable on the range, and shoot better groups if I can feel the trigger with a warm finger and not a frozen one.
  18. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

Well I got up early this morning and headed for the range to do some more work with the Remington 750 carbine. The short barrel hurts the 308 velocities, but I think I found a load that is a good compromise between accuracy, velocity, and safe pressures for this gun. I loaded up 5 different 150 grain bullets with 40.5 grains of IMR3031. All showed accuracy more than good enough for the short range hunting this gun will generally see, but one bullet was consistantly the best. It showed promise with other powders and seems to like 3031 the best so far.
    I don't have any Varget, or REL-15 and don't plan on getting any. I have plenty of powders already so I'm trying to work with what I have until the supply situation settles. I have many loads developed for the powders I already have and don't wish to start from scratch again with powders that didn't exist years ago.
    This is the best group with the Speer 150 grain FN. It shows promise but the velocity is lagging alittle.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the bullet I think will see the most time in this gun. It has given the best accuracy and velocity while keeping the pressure mild.
    [​IMG]
    and here is the best group with the Accutips this morning. The velocity is 160 FPS better than the FN and should scramble the inerds of any deer hit with it.
    [​IMG]

I'll play around with this gun/load combo some more, but Hot weather doesn't make for fun shooting. I'm very pleased with the velocity out of the stubby 18" barrel with 3031 and the Accutip. I think it's going to get bloody this fall in NC.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  19. GSPKurt

GSPKurt G&G Newbie

Accutip? Who makes that bullet? Good groups, there.
  20. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

It's a Remington bullet made for them by Hornady. I believe it's the same as the SST, just a different color tip. Grafs & Sons sells them in all kinds of calibers. I picked them up during the winter when SST bullets were no where to be seen. My Marlin ML-7 30-06 loves the 165 grain bullets when sitting on a good dose of IMR4350.