Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by opos, Dec 30, 2009.

1. opos

opos G&G Newbie

The only small pistol primers (other than Gunbroker..wow!) I can find right now are Remington 1 1/2 primers..Just curious if anyone has had experinece with them..When I used to load...some time ago..I used to use CCI's all the time and had used Winchester as well but never Remington..Just looking at target loading for 9mm and 38 special for now....thanks
  2. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

All I've ever heard was Remingtons are a little bit softer than other brands.
  3. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Enthusiast

What does it mean for a primer to be "softer" or "harder"? Just starting to reload myself...
  4. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

The cup of the primer is designed to "give" under the strike of the firing pin, thus causing the dimple to compress the primer medium under the anvil, and ignite.

Some primers are "harder" to dent. Good example is a rifle primer. It is tougher than a pistol primer, because it has to withstand more pressure from the burning powder in the cartridge. Therefore, rifle firing pins have to hit harder than pistol firing pins, in order to detonate the primer.

I have used CCI and Remington Small Pistol Primers interchangeably for years. If the Remington primers are "softer" it is not noticeable to me. All my pistol loads go "bang" every time, regardless of which primer I use.

The Remington Small Pistol primers should work just fine for you, if you are doing standard loads for common pistol calibers (380, 38, 357, 9MM).
  5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

All I can tell you is during the great primer drought, I needed some small rifle primers for .223. The guy at the gun store said the only ones he had left were Remingtons, and he did not advise using them in my Saiga .223 semi-auto. Being desperate, I did anyways. Had no problems with them.
  6. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Enthusiast

I've never had any problems with Remington primers in any pistol or rifle loads. And I've used literally tens of thousands.
  7. opos

opos G&G Newbie

Strange how things work out..I was headed up the coast some 30 miles to pick up the Remingtons at an "ok" price but no deal...but in lean times, I thought ok...I stopped in to a large chain sporting goods store to get some cleaning patches and as I've done every time...asked about small pistol primers and 380 ammo...they had just unloaded a shipment and lo and behold there were 10,000 CCI small pistol primers...They didn't have a limit on them but I didn't take them all...I took what I felt I needed. Price was almost $8 a thousand less than the private party up the coast...I posted the find on a local board and the primers were gone within about an hour.

Thanks for all who posted here..I now know that the Remingtons would certainly work .... I had pretty much figured they were ok but more wanted to know any "quirks"..I don't see them listed much in the load data from the manuals I have...

Happy New Year
  8. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Theoretically, softer primer cups COULD make them more susceptible to slam fires in semi-auto guns.

I haven't had one happen yet with my Saiga .223, which is my only gun that uses small rifle primers except my .454 Casull pistol. And I am not afraid to use them in the pistol as it is a revolver.