remington 512 sportmaster.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by squirrelblaster, Jun 16, 2008.

1. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

found a remington sportmaster 512 todayat a pawnshop todayand it realy cought my eye, it had a small scope mounted on it with what seemed like a very solid mount. its a little beatup lookin, and as usual i forgot to check the bore! :hitwithrock:, but im thinkin of going back and buying it(if the bore checks out), they want $150 for it is that to much? does anyone have any experience with a the 512? how accurate is it? and please share any thoughts or experiences with it you have!
  2. TRUE GRIT

TRUE GRIT G&G Newbie

Id grab it if I were you, the original peep sight that came on the 512 was a real jem compared to the iron sights on most guns in its price range. Ive never shot one off a bench so I cant give you group sizes, but it always shot minute of soda can off the back of my dad's pick up.
  3. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Regular

IMO the Remington 500 series bolt actions were some of the best vintage .22 rifles made. Of course accuracy of any idividual one will depend on wear & condition. But they are capable of excellent accuracy.
    BUT....Unless in near EX. condition, $150. is IMO a bit much. $125. is closer to average value.
    And don't forget, it's a buyers market right now w/the economy. People are selling guns in droves. Not much buying going on. I'd offer $100. and haggle to $125.
  4. squirrelblaster

well i bought it today!! we haggled for about 30 min over price and settled at $120 and he threw in a 500 packof remington golden 22. i feel like i got a good deal, so dont tell me otherwise!! the bore looks good by the way, and its missing its origanal sight, but came with a weaver scope on it. ill post some pics late when i find the cord to my camora
  5. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Regular

I think you did GREAT! Keep an eye on the gun auction websites (ebay also: Sights are still allowed) for your sights. I needed a set about a year ago and found one in a matter of a couple weeks.
    If you look on rear of the barrel, you should a "code" of letters & numbers. Go to the Remington Website ( link on Rimfirecentral.com Remington forum) and you can learn what month/year your rifle was made. Congrats, the 512 is a great rifle. Looking forward to the pics!
  6. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Good buy - the Gun&Pawn here starts ALL .22 rifles at $150 - paid a bit less for my 512, but it has a slightly bent barrel. Still shoots dead on though - just had to tweak the windage more than usual..... :09:
    Only the 512P had the peep sights - most had the regular iron sights.
    I have bought many sights and scopes from ebay vendors - Fatstrat is right on there!

Get some CCI Standard ammo, and see her really strut her stuff! :)
  7. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

The Reminton 500 series are great rifles. I used to shoot a 513T in the service and did good with it, congrads on your find.
  8. squirrelblaster

ok, i went out and shot it, this thing is awsome! the thing is dead acuarate, and the scope was still set perfectly. yay for me and my great pawnshop find!
  9. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

Thats great Squirrel. 22's are a blast.
  10. squirrelblaster

well its finaly picture time! and got some targets i shot with it aswell at 100 feet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  11. garyz01

garyz01 G&G Newbie

congrats Squirrelblaster on your new gun, nice pictures

My cousin has purchased a NIB Remington 512 .22 rifle. Need advice on installing a scope on it, including type of mounts and effort involved. The gun is in India and its very hard to find a good gun smith there. Thanks to draconian gun laws the gun cost around $1200 !!

Appreciate any pointers/guidance, plan is to purchase the scope and accessories and ship them to India.

Thanks

Gary
  12. RandyMeskimen

RandyMeskimen G&G Newbie

My father bought me a 512 for my twelfth birthday in 1957. Today I'm 63 and own 27 different22s. The 512(thousands of rounds) is still my favorite and the accuracy is amazing
  13. RandyMeskimen

RandyMeskimen G&G Newbie

It cost $29.95 at Gambles Hardware store, but Dad workrd there and got 20% off.