Remington 552 speedmaster jams

Discussion in 'Remington' started by ArkansasHunter, Mar 13, 2007.

1. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

I own a Remington 552 speedmaster for about 30 years and after fireing it 4 or 5 times the bolt (if you can call it that ) rebounds and hits the case of the next round dead center as it's going up the loading ramp.

This rifle still looks brand new. I have cleaned it and cleaned it and it looks slicker than a town dog. BUT IT JAMS to the point it would make preacher cuss !

I heard years ago that this is or was a common problem with this model remington, doe's anyone know a solution to this problem please comment.

Here's a quick story : A cousin of mine and his best friend both owned one of these rifles and after years of shooting it, my cousins started doing what mine doe's ,so he took it to our only gun smith. When it was ready
    he called me and ask if I would like to go shoot and of course I went.
    Well the gun still jammed so he reached into the back seat of his car and grabbed his Rem. 742 o6 and shot the 552 at least 20 times, he destroyed it and I took cover.

Anyway I don't get that mad but I would like to have it function like it's suppose to.

Thanks for any help...Mike
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  2. remchuck

remchuck G&G Newbie

the 552 will fire 22 short,long and long rifle.this may sound like a dumb question,but have you tried different brands of ammo.the standard bricks of federal 22 long rifle works well in all my semi-auto 22's.i hope you get the rifle functioning the way its supposed to.
  3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

If it is not an Ammo problem, it may be a problem in the feed ramp or disconnector, which any good gunsmith should be able to diagnose and fix. You might call Remington and send it in for factory repair as well.
    Rich
  4. ArkansasHunter

552 jamming

Thanks guys, the best I can remember, all I've shot through it is remington 22's.
    I will try Federals.
    My wife bought this rifle for me from Walgreens when they had a sporting goods dept. A very long time ago !
    Well I got it out after I put up this post and it looks brand new, I quit useing it because of the jam problem, so I think this weekend, weather permit I'll go buy some Feds and see if they work.
    Thanks again...Mike

In praise of my wife, I own 11 long guns and 1 pistol, she bought me 5 of the 11 long guns for birthdays and Christmas'es. That's a good woman !

p.s. giving diamonds on her birthdays, aniversarys and Christmas'es is really why she bought'em for me....... LOL
  5. JBS

JBS G&G Newbie

She ain't found out you dug them diamonds, yerself in Murfeesboro, has she???
  6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Mine hasn't bought me any guns YET, but she came with her own collection of some Dandy Handguns( Kimber, S&W,Rugers) and Rifles and ammo ! She does her own reloading!
    I got a Good one too...
    Rich
  7. ArkansasHunter

To Mooseman and JBS

Mooseman I bet you have a perfect marriage. LOL. And how could you not, when your wife owns guns.

JBS when I was 12 or 13 years old my best friend Dad took he and I to the Crater of diamonds. None of us had ever been before.

It had to be the Hottest day ever in the state of Arkansas, at least my buddy and I thought so...It was pure misery after about 2 hours of digging around, and it must of rained 2 day's prior to us going there because it was muddy.

We left right before closing and and my buddy and I had the worst sunburns we ever had in our lives and on top of that there car wouldn't start but someone came along and jumped us off and then the car caught in FIRE.

To this day I have no desire ever, to go dig for diamonds, but when my son was 12 to 13 years old we were headed to north Arkansas for vacation and I took my son by there to see the place.
    Man that place is nice, it wasn't like that back when I went.

Thanks for the replys...Mike
  8. snowman1

snowman1 G&G Regular

I had a 552 and it shot flawlessly,but I traded it for a 572 pump to shoot low velocity shorts in town for varmints, CBs make less noise than a BB gun.
  9. Backpacker

Backpacker G&G Newbie

Fixed my Remington Speedmaster 552 Jams

Hello,

Problem: I have a Remington Speedmaster 552 22Cal. rifle that would jam after 3 or 4 shots. I cleaned it spotless, that did not help. I tried different ammo that did not help either.

Fix: I found a small about pin head size metal burr in one of the two channels the "Ejector" slides in on the "Bolt Assembly". I used a diamond needle file and filed it away. The rifle fires like new no more jams after 200+ rounds. I think this fixed my jam problem.

Good Luck - Hope this helps someone else!
  10. wagonmaster

wagonmaster G&G Newbie

552 jams

could you call me, I have a 552 that I am having trouble with. Phone 812-866-9247

William J Wagner
  11. Backpacker

Backpacker G&G Newbie

Lets stay online. What kind of problem have you got?
  12. benchsighted

benchsighted G&G Newbie

For all of you who have had problems with misfire and ejection on Remington 552…
    First, if a gun shop tells you that there is no hope for this beautiful rifle go find a real gunsmith fast. You can still order all of the parts for this rifle, enough to do a complete rebuild. Now keep in mind that these guns will probably fire more rounds than even a military rifle. This will cause some anticipated wear on certain parts. First stage of fixing will be to file and adjust the wear parts…the next stage will be to replace. Here are the parts to keep an eye on.
    1. The hammer gets flared at the head. This is due to not having a last-shot-bolt-hold and results in a dry fire every 15 rounds. Fix this with a file to take the flare out.
    2. The side of the bolt has two slide tracks that can build up some small nicks. Again a fine file will smooth these out.
    3. Check the carrier (part that pops up the next round) if the edges are ragged, smooth them out with the fine file.
    4. There is a steal removable rail (ejector) in the receiver part of the barrel. Again with your file make sure that the rail is smooth where the bolt travels and the ramp that hits the spent shell is not rounded. This could be a cheap fix by just replacing with a new one.
    5. As stated in an earlier post, check the firing pin for wear and straightness. It will move back and forth freely when working correctly.
    6. Check the notches in the sear to hammer contact for wear. Best fix is to replace both.
    7. Keep an eye on the extractor for wear or sticking… keep it clean. They don’t tend to wear so much on these rifles, but can be a cheap fix by replacing with a new one (don’t forget a new spring as well).
    8. If you have an older gun and your barrel is in good shape ordering replacements for all of these wear parts will put you back into a nice working 552.

You can find the parts list in the manual here: Rimfire Rifle - Model 552 BDL Speedmaster - Remington Rimfire Rifle
  13. OneShotTroxell

OneShotTroxell G&G Newbie

Excellent information! I have a 552 Gallery Special (22 short) that I picked up cheap at an auction ($75) a couple of months back. I haven't had a chance to tear it down to see what I have got to work with. Exterior is in real good shape though. I now have some good information to go by. Thanks!
  14. benchsighted

benchsighted G&G Newbie

Hey OneShotTroxell, check out your 552 Gallery Special by Googling it (if you haven't yet). Those are collectors items that are selling for big $$$. You found a great deal there. I beilive that those rifles where manufactured specifically for indoor shooting ranges or "Galleries". They probably sold most of them to archade type business with some going to the public or being sold to the public through those archades going out of business.
  15. OneShotTroxell

OneShotTroxell G&G Newbie

The guy that I was bidding against stopped when the auctioneer said it shot 22 shorts only. He said he had no use for the damn thing if it wouldn't shoot long rifles. I knew what it was and was glad to get an at least $450 gun for $75.
  16. ArkansasHunter

Sorry I did'nt return and tell changeing brand of ammo (Federal) eliminated my problem.
    I might add mine has'nt had a 100 rounds shot through it.

I gotta say this to...The 552 Remington is one handsome 22 rifle...AH
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  17. TROOPER2

TROOPER2 G&G Newbie

Try cci stringer ammo that fixed my problem w/ jamming
  18. HarrisFD

HarrisFD G&G Newbie

Thanks for the great info!!!!

I too own one of these fine guns and have been having some jamming issues recently. My Grandmother bought it brand new for my Dad for Christmas in 1958. The date code is 52WDP, which as best I can tell is August of 1957. Its shot thousands upon thousands upon thousands of rounds over the years with nary a whimper. Its dead-on accurate and outshoots just about every 22 we've ever played with over the years. A couple years ago (when she turned about 50), I started having some misfeed issues. I took it to a gunsmith friend of mine who tore it down, cleaned, polished the ramps, reblued and lightly refinished the stock. The gun was already in great shape, and after he was done, it looked and shot like new. However, after about 300 rounds, the misfeeds started again, seems to function best with federal ammo, cci round nose was jam city, used to shoot stingers great. I think I'll tear it down, check for burs, and replace all of the springs, pins and any other worn items. Sounds like the carrier, extractor and hammer are showing their age as well. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010