Remington 581 (.22)

Discussion in 'Remington' started by 9mmXDm, Dec 19, 2009.

1. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

So just for kicks even though I am not really into traditional style rifles. I am going to take the Remington 581 my father has.

Were going to clean it up some and then I'll take it to the range to test her out.

1. The ammo in the clip and the extra that is around is a good 20+ years old. It has been kept in a metal cabinet the entire time. Is it still good?

2. I can only find one clip for it. I have looked online and can really only find a clip for the 581-S. Mines not an S just a regular 581. Does anyone know where I can find a clip for cheap for it?

3. Any sighting in tips. Would be very helpful.

Thanks
  2. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

The ammo should still be good, look it over and if it looks ok, give it a try, if you are still not sure about it, buy some new ammo, it is cheap.
    As to the clip, check on gunbroker.com you can also use a Remington nylon model 77 clip, that is the one I use, it seems to feed a bit better than the 581 clip does..The 581s clip will also work. They are not cheap though...
    I sight my .22's in for zero at 50 yards, it will be a little high at close range but not much, around 1/4" or slightly more. at 100 yards it should be about 2.5 inches low with standard velocity ammo... Shoot as many different brands and flavors as you can afford till you find the load you gun prefers.. My Rem. 581 really likes CCI Velocitors and CCI Blazers..Good luck...
  3. mwbokc

mwbokc G&G Newbie