Remington 597

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by The_Vigilante, Feb 23, 2008.

1. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante G&G Newbie

I just bought a new 597 at Academy Sporting Goods today and can't wait to get out to the range to try it. Would like to hear from 597 owners about the gun and their experiences with it. Good and bad! I saw on the Remington website that they have a 30-rd magazine but there is not a "Buy Now" option. Does anyone know when they will become available or if they are already available? Where can I buy them online? If anyone has already bought them, how are they? Thanks
  2. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Hey Vigilante,

Sorry about not seeing this post sooner. I've had the Remington M597 for a few years now. My first impression was that the gun had a great fit and finish. It felt very solid, and with a fixed 3x scope on it, I thought it would be a great shooter.

Then I went to shoot it.....

First round fired and stove piped....crap.

2nd round, same result.

I called Remington and found out that I had been sold 2nd Generation magazines, which are pretty much junk. They took my address down and sent me 2 more magazines via 2 day mail. They have great customer service, and I got the magazines 2 days later.

Since that hiccup, I haven't looked back. Well over 3000 rounds through the rifle, and not a single jam.

The next thing that I wasn't the happiest with was the trigger. It was very crisp, clean, and consistent, but it was slightly too heavy of a pull for my liking. I ordered a VQ Target Hammer online, and it made a world of a difference. I think it was a $18 purchase, and the trigger pull went from about 8 pounds to 2-3 pounds.

The last thing I did was purely for cosmetics. I put on a Muzzle Break, as seen here: Eagle Remington Model 597 22LR Slipover Muzzle Brake - all

It's purely for show of course, but it looks really good.

The end result after getting my magazines replaced for free and buying a $18 target hammer is a .22 rifle that has out-shot every other .22LR that I've gone up against at the range. More than once have I had Ruger 10/22 owners offer their rifles up as trade.

When I do my part, 50 yard groupings with bulk fill an area the size of a quarter. I've had some 5-shot groups with match ammo down to about the size of a dime at 50 yards.

One thing that I noticed with the barrel (and this goes for other guns as well) is that after about 5 rounds to warm the barrel up, it becomes significantly more accurate.

Anyway, if you start getting jams like crazy (with any ammo brand), call Remington right away. I don't think you're going to be sold anything but 3rd generation magazines, but if you do get some 2nd gen ones, you will know.

About the 30-round mag, I've heard that it works great, but I have yet to get my hands on one. I have a nice look to the gun right now, and I think a banana mag will mess it up.
  3. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante G&G Newbie

Bravo,
    Thanks for the informative post. The Muzzle Break looks cool-will definitely consider getting it and most definitely the VQ Target Hammer. I have ordered the Remington 30-rd mag and will be interested to see it's appearance and how it looks on the gun. I got it because I just don't want to be loading magazines every 10 shots.
  4. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

No problem! Let me know how the 30-round magazine works for you, and let me know if you have any further questions. The target hammer was very easy to install. My 597 is my favorite firearm, and that's quite a list to make it to the top of :D
  5. pball942

pball942 G&G Newbie

Some other things you may want to consider is getting a Volquartsen Extractor to replace the factory extractor. You can get it from Midway Part# 880602 MidwayUSA - Volquartsen Extractor Remington 597
    And a Volquartsen Target Hammer from Midyway Part #410565
    MidwayUSA - Volquartsen Target Hammer Remington 597 22 Long Rifle, 22 Magnum Stainless Steel

Also Remington's manual for the 597 states the guide rod screws(at the rear of the receiver) should be torqued to 10in/lbs, this is FAR too tight and causes the guide rods to bow out.

The result is the bolt binds up on the guide rods and:

1: the rifle may not cycle reliably with subsonic or even standard velocity rounds.

2: the bolt will not be fully forward which causes light primer strikes or none at all.

The easy and FREE fix is to only make the guide rod screws only finger tight.
    Tighten the guide rods screws enough to bottom out the guide rods
    and then back off. The guide rods will be straight and parallel with each other; the rifle should cycle smoothly.

Let us know how your 597 fairs.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  6. JOEGUN94

JOEGUN94 G&G Regular

i have on in 17 hmr. wonderful rifle for me, not a problem . very well pleased with it.
  7. ShawnF

ShawnF G&G Newbie

saw the 30 rd mags today, but at $30 a piece i think i will wait to get any, and i don't think they will work with my harris bipod....