remington 700 ADL or savage axis .308?

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by god&guns, Apr 8, 2011.

1. god&guns

god&guns G&G Newbie

hey guys, I have not posted in some time but I need some help here. I am going to be buying my first .308. I have decided to get either the remington 700 adl or the savage axis. but I don't know witch one to get. what I really want is accuracy. granted, I know that these are both entry level rifles but witch one is more accurate? I really cant find anything on the accuracy of these guns other than one guy that said he couldnt get his ADL to hold 3 inches from the bench regaurdless of what scope or rings he used. so im really kind of lost. please help me out.
  2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Except for resale there wouldn't be much difference.Rem will hold the best resale.Any "out of the box might not shoot the greatest but might also be a tac driver.Someone saying they only got 3" groups usually means they are a bad shot or never researched enough to make sure such things as barrel stock contact,loose/tight screws,trigger pull familiarity,whether it shoots best clean or fouled, etc,etc,is looked into,or find what ammo is best.Research is usually what separates men from boys.
  3. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Hi,

although this is not part of your post, please take a moment to consider the new Marlin bolt action rifles. They are affordable and have gotten a fantastic amount of good press and good reviews from individuals on forums such as this great forum.

Either of the other two guns you mentioned should serve you well in the hunting field.
  4. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Of the two rifles you listed it would be the 700 HANDS DOWN for me. I feel that the Axis is nothing more than a remington 770 under a different label. I am not impressed with the Axis or the 710/770. The 700 is an entry level rifle built with the quality of a much nicer rifle.

On the other hand....take a look at the Stevens 200. Great little rifle for a great price!
  5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

id buy a stevens 200 before any other rifle thats been mentioned so far.
  6. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

I would get the ADL, have fun with it, and if you get bored, you still have a 700 receiver to build up another rifle.

Also dont forget the Rem700 SPS Varmint, Rem has a $75 rebate going on, most places in my neck of the woods have them for $550 Rebates and Promotions - Firearm Rebates - Ammunition Rebates
  7. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Enthusiast

i'm with sam on this one. never seen a factory rifle that couldn't shoot close to moa outa the box. 3" groups are what i would expect if i took my glasses of to shoot.of the 2 as much as like savage i'd go with the 700. how the edge is bedded to the stock prevents any future build with a different stock , ect.

but after sayin that i won a .270 edge and with a cheap bushnell scope i can sttill get 1 1/2 groups even with my eyes and shaky hands and crummy trigger
  8. the jigger

the jigger G&G Newbie

700ADL or Axis?

Of the two you mention I would choose the 700. That said, I am a Savage/Stevens fan. I own six and own zero Remingtons. The Stevens 200 is an excellent suggestion. I've used two to build customs; a 257Roberts and a
    250Savage Ackley Improved. The Savage/Stevens platform is one of the most versatile out there.
    GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
  9. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

upstate New Yorkistan [the first openly totalitian
    The AXIS/EDGE is a cheap rifle that had every possible corner cut to hit a certain price point. Buy the ADL and forget the AXIS.

If you are open to other options, consider the Stevens 200 or the Marlin XS-7. I have a 308 Marlin and it is A LOT of gun for $300. Mine shoots better than any other deer gun I own except my Marlin 30-06.
  10. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Enthusiast

i have a savage axis but its in 223 so far it shoots excellent, the remington 700 is a beautiful rifle but the axis is the best bang for the buck
  11. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Enthusiast

I'd go for the 700 in a heartbeat. I've got an ADL in .30-06 and it is the most accurate rifle I own. Using Texnmidwest's 700 in .243 I was able to put 5 rounds through one .289" hole at a little over 100 yards. Although, according to Tex, the ammo was bad and didn't group well for him... I was forced to agree that it MUST be the ammo! lol...
  12. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

As an avid Savage fan, I would go for the Remington 700 based on the two choices you've named. IMO there is no comparison of the 700 and the Axis...
    I own two Savage rifles (M40 and M10) and two Remingtons (M600 and M700) and find both makes to be fine well made accurate rifles.
    Personally, I'd go with a different model Savage other than the Axis if the budget would allow. But again, for the two rifles you list, I'd choose the Rem 700.
  13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Fired 20rds from a .243win Savage Axis today.A friend bought one.It was gusty but not bad in the 50,s and we were using a caldwell table and a Caldwell mechanical rest with no stock support.The ammo was his reloads in 90 and 100gr something and whatever load he uses.Both he and I shot under MOA which is "PERTY DARN GOOD" for me nowadays.I wasn't really intrested in anything but performance of the mechanism and such.I have shot a zillion ADL,s and while the Remington action is smoother on the average I had no complaints about the Savage.The trigger pull was great for a hunting rifle.Better than the ADL,s I have shot.Not much scientific about this but in my opinion anyone that likes the Stevens M200 should like this Savage Edge better.My conclusion was the same as I posted.Except for resale there just isn't much difference between the ADL,and Edge.However the Edge seems to be about $60 some lower than the econimy rifles built by Mossy and Marlin.Those I have no experience with but reviews are good so in general I guess the decision between Mossy,Marlin Rem ADL,and Stevens/Savage Edge/Axis is strictly up to the individual.All seem to be capable hunting rifles.However for competition/high volumn target I would think a different model,(not saying better so much) might be apropriate.(This is only because QC is often a little better and fit and finish is closer.)I think all four would be great "hunting rifles".
  14. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Enthusiast

your best bet is to go to a shop and see which one fits you the best, thats the only way to see what rifle you should buy it shouldnt depend on what other people tell you/ dont dismiss other peoples opinions and experience just dont rely on it. its all about how you fit the rifle
  15. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

upstate New Yorkistan [the first openly totalitian
    What people forget to mention is the weird/odd design of the AXIS action and stock. The recoil lug in in the stock, not the action. Try finding aftermarket parts or accessories for the AXIS and then see what you find for the Marlin,Stevens, 700s, etc.
  16. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Enthusiast

dms...read my entire post abouve :)