Remington 700 vs. Browning X-bolt

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by FW_AV8OR, Aug 15, 2010.

1. FW_AV8OR

FW_AV8OR G&G Newbie

Well I was pretty much sold on the Remington 700 XCR-II in 30.06, when I was stumbling around the inter-web and found the Browning X-bolt series.... What are your thoughts on these two rifles. I'm looking for a good all around rifle that will be good for hunting most anything in the states.

Let me know what you think!
  2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

That would be a hard one to decide.Remington M700,s come in multiple models/styles and basically run around $400-$500 at Wallys or other places while the X-bolt doesn't have as many models/styles and runs from about $800 to $1100+.If I were looking for a "workhorse"type that was economical I would go Remington.If I were looking for more class,I would choose either one as they are both fine rifles.Unless things have changed,the quality is good in both in equal price range. ,,,sam.
  3. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Neither...the BEST deal in a .30-06 is the Marlin XL7.
    Outshoots the Remmy 700's with ease.
  4. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

As much as you are into Marlins, you should rename your self MarlinMan or BigMarlin or something :p lol

All kidding aside I have heard nothing but good things about the Marlin XL rifles.
  5. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

I believe the title of the thread is "Remington 700 vs. Browning X-Bolt", if the OP wanted to know how awesome the Marlin is, he probably would have asked.

Anyway, I would choose the Remington 700, simply because of the availability of parts, which means the sky is the limit as far as customization, and ability to improve performance if you so desire.
  6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

There is no factual truth in this statement that a Marlin M XL7 can or ever has outshot a Remington.At the same time,there is no proof they havn't.They are rated right in there with the Remington M710/770.At present I class them as a "you get what you payed for".On the other hand,since Remington owns Marlin,I guess we could classify them as a low priced Remington,the same as a Weatherby Vanguard, or a Stevens m200.They more or less have the name.I do wish the XL7 had more chamberings than .25-06,.270win and .30-06.I do hope they are a good decent rifle. ,,,sam.
  7. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Sam, I am kind of in your court on that one. I have never fired a Marlin bolt gun nor 710/770 but find them to be similar in workmanship. All I know is if I were facing a charging Grizz in Montana I would not want either! Give me a 700 or Browning...in 300 win mag or greater and a slow running hunting buddy! LOL!

As for which is better 700 or x-bolt/a-bolt, you can not go wrong with either rifle. I have shot both and handled both. Great rifles.
  8. BLanich

BLanich G&G Newbie

Definately agree with both statements.
  9. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

If someone said A.H. I'm going to buy you a Remington or a Browning which one would you like to have ?
    I'd choose the Remington though they' both do the same thing. Go Bang.
    The Remington to me has the look of what an American bolt gun should look like.
    When you look at pictures of other manufactures boltaction's rifle's, to me they don't have the authoritive look of the Remington 700. and most of the time you'll buy one that is acurate.
    I've read alot of reviews about the X and A bolt, there nicely crafted rifle's yet for what they cost there not that acurate though there acurate enough for hunting.

Since Shrek mentioned the Marlin XL-7 I'll mention the much Improved Ruger Hawkeye boltaction, it has everything a custom rifle has but without the cost and it is American made and use's the Mauser style action, it sell's for what a Remington sell's for.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Good review AH,thanks. ,,,sam.
  11. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

I'm just not buying into the Marlin hype either. Like sam said "you get what you pay for" this happens way too often in the gun world.

As for the real question at hand. I'd go with the X-bolt. unless you could buy and older model 700. I just like the craftsmanship of the Browning much better. their is a reason why they cost 4-500$ more.

Their are however pros and cons to each gun. The Browning has the odd but "fast" acting 60 degree throw on the bolt. But any gunsmith will tell you the trigger set in a Browning is an odd character and is hard to get the clean crisp feel of a Remington.
    But I feel that the new Remingtons are really lacking in the fit and finish deparment.

But either way you go you will get a good shooting gun. Best of luck, which ever way you go.
  12. FW_AV8OR

FW_AV8OR G&G Newbie

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm definitely going to go handle a Browning X-bolt before I make my decision. I've played with the Remington 700s a lot, so I'll check out the browning and see which feels best to me.

Thanks again!
  13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

^ Way to go! ,,,sam.
  14. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

If your planning on spending the same amount either way I would get a 700 that is similarly priced to the xbolt such as the 700 sendero
  15. FW_AV8OR

FW_AV8OR G&G Newbie

I looked at the sendero, but it is quite heavy compared to other models(and about $400 more). I was looking at the Remington 700 XCR II $970 and the Browning X-bolt Composite stalker $899.
  16. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Newbie

the way some people talk, the marlin line should be takeing the bench rest world by storm. i also think that a rem with a wood stock is a fine looking rifle, but so are the brownings. me id go with the rem, but i dont think you can realy go wrong.
  17. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Enthusiast

the $300 rifle market has come a LONG way. the savage edge and marlin x series rifles offer MOA accuracy. same as higher end 700's, xbolts etc etc. i wouldnt discount them. in a bolt rifle there isnt too much to get wrong. the 'get what you pay for' is kinda moot IMO. now if were talking gas operated semi autos then i would agree whole heartedly. a $2500 LWRC IS better than a $1000 rock river.

as to the poster. go with the Remmy 700. i own the base model SPS in 300RUM and its more accurate than i am. a friend owns a SPS in 22-250 and we make clover leafs at 150yds. very accurate firearm. then add the aftermarket parts available and the 700 is a hard gun to beat.
  18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Your opinion is fine,except "you get what you pay for" is never "MOOT" and wise people have followed it for years.I hope every $300 rifle shoots sub MOA and lasts forever and everyone is just "tickled pink" with them.Then I would be "tickled pink"that everyone was pleased with their firearm. ,,,sam.
  19. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

I've never handled the X bolt so I really can't say much on it. I did own an A-bolt hunter model years ago and really loved that rifle. Wished I was able to have kept it but had to let it go. I have a few Rem model 700s and love them. They are great rifles and hard to beat in my opinion. Although there are others out there that will meet or exceed both manufactures, you could do far worse than buying the Browning or Remington.
  20. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Enthusiast

funny how 100 yr old mosin nagants bought for less than $100 make people 'tickled pink' as you put it. and they clearly have lasted longer than just about any other gun around. id say i got more than i paid for on that purchase. and the fact many folks around here own more than one must agree.

you also took my words out of context. not all $300 rifles are a real humdinger. some, like the 770 are garbage. the marlin though has been proven with photo evidence that it groups moa or sub moa as has the savage edge. the only remaining question is whether or not they will stand the test of time but what are we comparing it to? mosins, enfields, 03s and mausers have all endured to this day. will the rem 700 endure like those mentioned above? it seems so. will the bargain rifle? who knows? only time will tell.

i can say without a doubt that id rather take a $300 rifle into the field with a cheap scope than a $1000 whiz bang rifle that i would feel the need to protect and keep safe rather than actually take it out to do what its meant to do.

i just dont believe in the $1000 hunting rifle.