Remington 710: How does it perform?

Discussion in 'Remington' started by myarmor, Sep 14, 2004.

1. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

I have seen these for a while now. I read a little how Remington simplified their 700 action down to 22 pieces.
    But I guess the question I have is how do they shoot?
    I have a 700, and am not really thinking about buying a 710 but I am curious.
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The one I handled awhile back had a stiff, gritty trigger, and I didn't care for the plastic stock.
    For a less discerning hunter wanting a less expensive rifle - it's adequate.
    Compared to your 700, you'll be disappointed in the 710.
  3. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I haven't heard anything good about them. Most of the reports I've read from real shooters, as opposed to paid-off gunwriters who never say anything's bad, they don't shoot worth a !!!!. You can buy a Savage 111GXP for less money and get a better rifle at the same time. The Savage comes with scope sling mts etc. The 710 is Remingtons Edsel....POS!
  4. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

I don't like the stock either BigDog. Looks cheesy.
    And I am with you on the Savage. I really like Savage.
  5. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

I used to own one. I sold it only to put $$$ towards an M1 Garand.

Yes, the bolt is stiff. It's due to the tight lockup. Yes, it requires a small amount of force to cycle. It's supposed to be self lubricating but don't hold back from the gun oil. Whether the stock is good depends on your personal shape. I found it was fine. A few very experienced hunters said it felt incredible. The cheekpiece is good.

The greatest thing about this rifle is that it can take any beating you give it. I didn't try too hard, but neither wood nor fingernail put the slightest wear on the barrel's finish. And the stock is extremeky durable.

The bolt locks into the barrel, making it potentially very accurate. I never did too badly with it, though I didn'y get enough practice to do too well. Always obtained sufficient hunting accuracy. This gun will be more accurate than you if you're standing. I suspect you could drag it through the mud and, while it's no AK, you could probably hose it down and it would be clean as ever. If you like a detachable mag, it has that feature at a good price, and extra mags are easy to find. If you DON'T like a detachable mag, this is not the gun for you, because it cannot be loaded while the mag is inside the rifle.

Here's how I think you should decide:
    It's good-
    If you need only a scope
    If you like a detachable mag
    If you want a durable finish all over
    If the stock feels ok
    If the colors are ok for you

It's not for you-
    If you are looking for benchrest accuracy (I've never heard of a larger than 2MOA group, no matter what ammo was used)
    If you want to load it from the top
    If you want open sites
    If the color doesn't agree with you and you don't want to paint it
    If you like the shape and feel of a competitively priced gun much better

All that said, I have nothing but good to say about Savage, except that mine in 300 RUM has always had trouble feeding from its fixed mag. I'd stay away from their package guns, though. They use cheapo scopes. Remington 710s, at least mine, use Bushnell.
  6. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

if you dont take care of your rifles the 710 might be okay for you. now if remington was smart they would bring back the 788 instead of making new junk. the 788 was cheap, durable and accurate- we will never see that happen though because most 788's outshot the 700's.
  7. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

Like I said I personally wasn't looking to buy one, but I was just curious. Thanks for the feedback BattleRifleG3. I haven't seen a 788.
    How long has it been scence Remington stoped making the 788?
  8. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I read an article a while back that talked about the 710 tri lug system for the bolt and it said what others have said that it was a rough to function and the triggers were aweful.
  9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

the 788 hasnt been made in about 15 yrs, or more.
  10. G Hollingsworth

G Hollingsworth G&G Newbie

788 was a nice shooter BUT! Why would anybody want 9 locking lugs,and then put them in the rear of the bolt.
  11. steel_warrior1

steel_warrior1 G&G Newbie

Got a friend who bought one at Wallyworl. Bragged said it was a good rifle, better than my savage. Ha, Bull !!!!. He was out hunting and saw a good size buck but couldnt hit is because his scope moved from side to side about a 1/2 inch! What can i say, the kid is kinda dumb. My savage has never had a problem and I plan on owning it for the rest of my life. Looking for a .223 savage to just have. Cant wait.
  12. harlequin

harlequin G&G Newbie

His scope moved from side to side a 1/2 inch? doesn't sound like it was the rifles fault, sounds like someone that doesn't know how to tighten his scope mounts. I have heard alot about the 710, mostly from people that don't own one. I own one and reguardless of the anti-hype I shoot 3/4" shot groups dead center at 100 yards consistantly, standing with the 3-9x scope that came on the rifle. I bought the rifle because it was within my price range and with all of the drawbacks; synthetic stock, simplified triger mech., press fit barrel (which isn't really press fit. It is much like the Anschutz style of production) and the plastic magazine release lever (which, when it fails will be replaced per Remington's policy with a steel one). I have shot about 60 rounds through the rifle and have had absolutely no problems with it. I clean the rifle every time I come off of the range and although the bolt action is stiffer than the 700, I like it. The Bushnell scope (which I will get a QD scope mount for and buy a Super Sniper scope so I can swap out when situation dictates) shoots constant shot groups right where I want them to go.

Unless you own the 710, don't comment. If you own/ed a 710 and are going to compare it to a higher quality Savage or Remington 700, keep in mind that Remington came out with the rifle to give hunters that don't have that much money to spend on a 700 or a Savage a chance to use a quality firearm. Sure, they cut some corners, but they are corners that could be cut without sacrificing performance.
    Just my .02 but I am more than happy with the rifle. I know for a fact that with Hornady 130 grain bullets, If I see a deer between 50 and 300 yards, I am going to bag it.
  13. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

I totally agree on that review. I'd like to pick one up in 300 Win Mag one of these days, when a few ships come in.
  14. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

Some good feed back there harlequin.
    I didn't know much about them, but I am hearing more as of late.
    What caliber is yours in?
    I didn't realize they made it in a 300 Win Mag....hummm...interesting...
  15. harlequin

harlequin G&G Newbie

.270 win. But I want to get a better recoil pad for it. I kind of suffer from recoil flinch and I would like to get the trigger presure dropped a bit and have the trigger pull smoothed out.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  16. CV32

CV32 G&G Newbie

I have had a Rem 710 in .30-06 for about three years now. I can vouch for the stiffness of the bolt, but it hasn't prevented my enjoyment of the rifle. It shoots consistently well for me, and the stock stands up well to abuse. I took a bull moose at about 100 yd within a couple of months of buying the rifle, and it put the shot exactly where I wanted it. No serious complaints about the 710 here. For the money, it was worth it.
  17. harlequin

harlequin G&G Newbie

Would having the bolt and reciever lapped solve the problem of the bolt stiffness?
  18. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

One of my friends just bought one yesterday. His is in 270 as well. This was the first time I have been able to see and hold one up close. As I can see, Remington has cut some edges but like you said just edges. The action felt kinda funny, I kept wanting to compare it to my 700. But these two rifles are very different.
    For the money though, it looks to not be a bad investment. A very rugged gun I guess I should say. For the money I wouldn't mind having one in a 7mm Mag.
    Your right about the trigger too.
    Not that it's a target gun by anymeans, but have you had a chance to take a few long shots with it harlequin?
  19. harlequin

harlequin G&G Newbie

I looked at a 700 yesterday and it is alot smoother. It is a better rifle. I would have gone with it but to put a scope on it it would have cost me another $300-400 or more. I think the 710 is a very good compromise.
    I don't have land to shoot on and the range I go to is only 100yds long. I would like to get out and shoot at 200 & 300 yards. At 300 yards with a hornady 130 grain bullet the drop is only 5.7 inches zeroed at 200 yards.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  20. Tenable

Tenable G&G Newbie

I liked my .270 Remington 710 till my brother accidentally discharged it next to my head while I was in his room... made me deaf in my left ear for 2 days.