Remington 7400 auto load 30-06

Discussion in 'Remington' started by desertloader, Aug 5, 2007.

1. desertloader

desertloader G&G Newbie

Hello, anyone know any info on this model carbine ? Brand new, was uing "Lake City" 150 gr FMJBT GOVT. issue ammo and gun will not feed. Used factory magazine, used 10 round after market magazine, would fire 3 rounds semi auto then jam everytime. Thinking I will try some store bought 180 grain "REMINGTON" ammo, perhaps the govt. ammos is the problem ???? thank you ..

Jeff
  2. shrub

shrub G&G Newbie

i would try the remmingtons, military firearms tend to have sloppier chambers and can digest just about anything so govt. issue ammo wont be as as precise as factory ammo. so it may feed better with the factory stuff.
  3. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

If the factory ammo doesn't work, try cleaning the chamber really good. Put a chamber brush on a drill or something. The 7400's are not the most reliable semi-auto around. They have very tight chambers - too bad it doesn't help accuracy. Good Luck - I personally don't know how the 7400 line has made it this long.
  4. HEMI

HEMI G&G Newbie

+1 on the cleaning,have seen some that are good reliable guns, some that weren't.
    I think clean is the answer. Would I use a semi for hunting? NO but I live in a very cold climate and trust bolt guns only. good luck
  5. killer

killer G&G Newbie

I have seen guys have issue with it on the firing line. They always seemed to have left it for a long time in a dirty state. Even though yours was a new gun it had been fired before shipping and sat perhaps a year or more allowing stuff to dry out whatever.

I'd strip it down as far as you can, spray it down with some kind of gun scrubber, lube and try again.

I wouldn't give up on the Lake City ammo yet.
  6. desertloader

desertloader G&G Newbie

7400 Remington THANK YOU GUY'S !!!!

Thank you Guy's for all your help ! I cleaned the chamber, Also unscrewed FORE-END screw and noticed the whole assembly was lose, plus filthy and gritty, kind of interesting when this gun does look brand new in case and in plastic. Cleaned it out, will try some factory Remington ammo and I hope i'll be in buisness..Included pic.Look's slick with bipod and scope, be great if I can get it shoot semi-auto.
    I bought an M1 GARAND with this Remington and shot it the 1st time yesturday and i'm in love, hit everything I aimed at, or was darn close....always wanted one..plus Lake City ammo works great in it.

thank's again for all your help..
    jeff:burnout:

Attached Files:

7. bluzjamer

bluzjamer G&G Newbie

Hey,
    Have a 742 BDL in 06. Shoot some surplus in it and it functioned but couldn't hit anything. was shooting very low. Shimmed the rear mount and tried again.
    Used factory ammo this time and every shot jammed the action. Even tried single shot.....jam. jam jam. Ok took it apart and cleaned everything, wasn't that dirty.
    Will try again.
    Why they call me the bluzjamer.
  8. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

I hope you have better luck with it desertloader.

I have a 7400 in .308 and I've had it jam more than any other gun. I've also had to go through a few mags because they weren't even loading the first round...

I LOVE Remington rifles, I just wish that I hadn't purchased this one :09:

Nonetheless, I'm keeping it, hehe.
  9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

keep it clean, and lubricated, and pray. the 7400 is a junker, though some do work OK- most dont.
  10. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

Bluzjamr, you may want to consider selling your 742 before the bolt scores away too much of the reciever.