Remington 7600 pump action rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Outriderdark, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Outriderdark

Outriderdark G&G Newbie

I'm interested in these. A guy at the range was shooting one in .30/06 making thumbnail sized groups at 100 yards. I was impressed and the idea of the fast follow up shots intrigues me.
    Any one have any experiences with them?
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I have one sitting here in the shop. Remington is a great rifle and the pumps are great if you keep em clean. Clip fed so reloading is a snap and acuracy is good too. Tearing them down is a bit of a challenge for cleaning but I say otherwise, a good choice, especially for hunting !
  3. Outriderdark

Outriderdark G&G Newbie

I'm reading alot that the lack of popularity for pump rifles is unfortunate because they have many advantages.
    I've always been stuck on bolts for hunting but lately I've been realizing that it's only because everyone else is stuck on them and I should expand my horizons.
  4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I always say, it is better to EXPAND THE COLLECTION! I Love Em all. If it goes Boom it works for me ! LOL
  5. SPEEDY

SPEEDY G&G Newbie

I have a mate with a 7600 in 30/06 I can’t say that I like it myself as it just doesn’t fit me right you have to hold the fore grip to far forward and it throws the balance off for me.
  6. garelwayne

garelwayne G&G Newbie

Remington 7600 Pump 30.06

I think I'm getting one of there for Xmas. This will be my first Hunting Rifle, and first experience with such knockdown power for Deer and Elk. I will be hunting for the first time in 2009. I always am a great shot but I'm keying on the cleaning aspect of this weapon. Can you give me further input?:feedback:
  7. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Get a bore snake. They make cleaning rifles like the 7600 easy.
  8. Bookman

Bookman G&G Enthusiast

I have a Remington 760 pump in .30-06 and it's a great gun. Accuracy is better than I can shoot with open sights and the gun is fast and reliable. If anyone needs a fast reliable gun with more punch than a .30-30 I'd recommend the Remington pump rifles.
  9. Lanny

Lanny G&G Newbie

I'm with SPEEDY. I handled a new 7600 in a local store. When I pushed the forearm forward to close the action, I found that it was quite a stretch for me. Too bad, because I was seriously considering the gun, in carbine form.

I'm still a touch turned off aesthetically (sp?) by that gap between the forearm and the receiver. It looks, somehow, "broken." Ahhh, but what do I know? I hear they are good guns and there's no real logical reason that pumps aren't as popular for hunting deep woods big game as they should be in this country. Go figure.
  10. zackman

zackman G&G Newbie

The only thing with the pump .30-06's is you can't tune them up like you can with a bolt. Handloaded .30-06 rounds can be taken to .300 WSM specs in a bolt action but they will break pumps. The action just isn't quite as strong. I have a model 76 (I know, cheap gun eh?) and i love the thing.
  11. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

The Remington pump is a design that has been

popular for decades and decades. I used to own one in .30-06. I liked the style's common ground with a pump action shotgun. I wish I still had the gun. Personally, I just don't have a negative comment about the gun.
  12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

WHAT ??? 30/06 can be taken to .300 WSM specs ???
    That is the Most UNSAFE THING I HAVE EVER HEARD in ANY rifle , Bolt or Pump.
    Where did you come up with this Idea ???
  13. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

A friend has one he's hunted with for at least
    20 years.
  14. allgun

allgun G&G Newbie

Remington 7600

Hunting in the North-East, Ontario and Quebec in hard woods where you only have a few seconds to get a shot off you can not beat the 7600. I first started in the sixties with a semi auto Remington, it jambed many times, than I bought a Winchester 100 this gun jambed many times especilly if snow accumulated on the receiver and froze. Than I bought a 760 in 30-06, this gun never let me down. In the early 70ties I was hunting in Rumford,Maine and had the pleassure to meet Larry Benoit deep in the woods and what you think he carried a 760. He and his gang are probably the best white tail hunters ever lived and I dont care what you see on TV. Several years ago I traded my 760 for a 7600 sythetic carbine in 30-06 topped with a Zeiss 1 1/2 to 4 1/2 scope. Rain, sleet, snow and even some dirt does not effect the performance the only thing I do strap a small baloon over the barrel to keep the snow out. For me the 30-06 is one of the most universal cartridges especially when you hunt in another country, the 30-06 is available all over the world. Accuracy is good to 150 to 200 yards under ideal conditions. Very seldom you will shoot more than 100 yds. in the North Woods.
  15. downdeep

downdeep G&G Newbie

not sure i like it

just got a 7600 with a trijicon scope, dialed it in to 150 yards in 20 min. However, it is heavy, ackward, and kicks like a bastad. personally, i think remingtons pump design is the worst. the levers and buttons are poorly placed tough to use with gloves and stiff. try comparing it to a Win 1300 or a benelli. the buttons are reachable from shooting position and operate more smoothly. Even the clip in the Rem. sucks. u shove it in, it comes back out. try again, push hard, comes out. Maybe there is a trick to it but i think there should be no trick to loading a clip. this is why i got rid of the mini 14. push in a bushmaster clip, it stays.

How often do u get a second shot? I should ask Larry B who lives down the road. u carry your gun for hours and hours and almost never get a second shot. I guess i would rather have a kimber 308 that weighs 5 pounds 2 ounces. Maybe my first shot would be just fine.
  16. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

I had one in .30-06 for years that I gave to my son

It is a really great rifle. Hunting accuracy with fast cycling/dependable action.

About the only thing negative, and not much negative, to state about this gun is a reputed tendency to vertically string shots if you get the barrel hot through a lot of shooting. However, this is just not an issue in a hunting rifle as in the field you will not get the barrel hot.

I have no trouble recommending it.
  17. testhop

testhop G&G Newbie

i used to use the 760 papa to the 7600 .
    and it would shoot very small groups . i ONCE shot a 1/2 inch group with witnesses'
    never did it again but i think it was me not the gun .
    if you reload try 150 gr hornady at about 2700 .
    with it you wont be tracking far if at all.
  18. Bigoledude

Bigoledude G&G Newbie

Most folks wouldn't say my 760 is "pretty". It puts the bullet EXACTLY where I aim it. Which, is not always where I want it. BTW, I like the way it looks.

My son has his choice of several rifles to shoot and he just loves my old 760. He shoots 1-inch and under groups @ 100 EVERY time we go to the range. He always has some old guys come over and check-out the old pump-gun!
  19. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

in 1968 I bought a 760 .30/06. for many years it was my only big game rifle. now I have a safe full of great guns and the old 760 is still the first one I grab.