Remington 870 Refinish

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by goat roper, Nov 4, 2010.

1. goat roper

goat roper G&G Enthusiast

Hey Kids,

I bought a cop return 870 Remington. The internals are in very good condition, but the outside has a lot of scratches. I plan to use KG Gun-Kote to refinish the metal parts. This material requires that you sandblast the parts down to bare metal, spray on the coating, and then bake it at 350 degrees for an hour. I have a sandblast cabinet, and I'm not married, so the baking part is not a problem. The one thing that I can't figure out what to do with is the trigger group. The trigger guard has some nasty chips in the finish. It looks like the button on the safety might be plastic. The gun is actually a Wingmaster, so it has the metal, not polimer, parts in the trigger group. I'm not sure that the trigger group, particularly that button, could survive the oven. I have read about disassembly of the trigger group, with most people recommending that only a gunsmith should do it. Has anybody actually done this before.......successfully?
    Thanks,
    Verne
  2. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Enthusiast

I have done it, but don't recommend it. The safety button should be metal, unless it is one of those that has that silly lock part to it. The trigger housing is aluminum, so Brownells, Aluma-Hyde paint might be the answer. That paint can fully cure at two week without baking. I THINK the heat might take the temper out of the springs, but not sure. The hammer pin washer is staked in place. You take that out, you need someone who knows, to put it back in. The hammer rides on that pin and the washer holds it in place. The hammer spring is under a great deal of tension. That might be a problem getting it back in place. The trigger group probably got nasty due to being in a locking rack in the cruiser. The hammer, sear and other parts are steel, with a few aluminum mixed in. Dont take it apart, just smooth it out as best as you can, then paint it. Just my opinion. The baking part will STINK!! Just to let you know. Be sure to vent the house.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  3. goat roper

Thanks Kaybe. I was leaning toward just painting the trigger guard with Krylon. I didn't even think about the heat damaging the springs. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and generally not afraid to take anything apart. But, in this case, I think it's best that I leave the trigger group alone. I usually deal with things that have nuts and bolts, not swedged pins. I checked out that Aluma-Hyde. It looks like it would do the trick. The shipping from Brownell's costs about as much as the paint though. I guess I will have to come up with a few more things to order to make it more reasonable. I appreciate your help.
    Verne
  4. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Enthusiast

that is the bad thing about Brownells, I could spend a couple thousand dollars and still want stuff from there!! Best of luck to you on the 870. I don't think you will regret NOT taking it apart. Just make sure it is really clean and it should function fine.
  5. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

6. goat roper

That's a beauty, Jerry. Mine came with black synthetic stocks, but I was patient, and finally snagged a decent set of wood ones on ebay. They didn't look very good in the photos, so they went pretty cheap. The butt stock is a Monte Carlo, and I only paid $37 and $6 shipping. There wasn't even a scratch on them. While I was watching ebay, a really nice set went for $131. Sheesh! I took the old finish off with laquer thinner, and sanded them lightly. In about an hour I am going to put on a second coat of stain. I'm not sure how it is going to look - a Monte Carlo butt stock and a 20" barrel. We'll see.
    Verne
  7. beachcommando

beachcommando G&G Newbie

This is my old 870 Wingmaster that I am turning into a tactical gun. I used Aluma Hyde from Brownells. You really don't really have to bake it in an oven. After spraying multiple light coats, I hung all the parts (including the trigger group) in the shop and directed a portable heater on HIGH at the parts so it was blowing across them for 24 hours or so. A nice, hard finish was the result.

Attached Files:

8. jerry

Thanks Goat Roper

Loki'n good beach Commo
  9. beachcommando

beachcommando G&G Newbie

Thanks Jerry. I checked yours out. Nice work. Alot of stuff that comes in spray cans these days gives you a finish that used to take a spray gun and some mixing. Progress has been good for gun nuts. :D
  10. jerry

So easy a cave man could do it, LOL. ....Sometimes
  11. beachcommando

beachcommando G&G Newbie

Here it is all together...

Attached Files:

12. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Enthusiast

Nice looking 870!!