Remington model 788 .222

Discussion in 'Remington' started by remingtonlover, Aug 18, 2012.

1. remingtonlover

remingtonlover G&G Newbie

Anyone know what this rifle is worth...I bought it awhile back for 200 bucks it has 2 clips with it and in excellent condition.

Attached Files:

2. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Re 788

Your Rem.788 was made from 1967 to 1983 and is worth at least $375 or more depending on condition. These rifles were unique in the fact that they had a rear bolt lock-up design meaning lugs were located in the rear instead of the front. What surprised everyone was the extreme accuracy of this gun for the money. It proved very accurate and was sold at an attractive price. You got a good deal.
  3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

You got a VERY good deal! As I understand it, the 788 in 222 remington is very sought after and worth a little more.
  4. Big Cholla

Big Cholla G&G Newbie

That rifle/cartridge combo was the absolute favorite of the Alaskan Eskimo seal hunter. The rifle was cheap as was the ammo. A seal could be shot and killed and the damage caused was slight so the seal didn't sink right away and they could retrieve the dead seal. Also the bullet entrance wound didn't damage the seal hide very much which was important when making seal skin parkas. I don't know what they like best nowadays. ............ Big Cholla
  5. Klamathlake

Klamathlake G&G Newbie

I would guess that is worth $500 or more. I would probably pay up to $400 if I found one. The clips are spendy, up to $50 and hard to find. My 788 is a .243 and is an awesome shooter. I have taken antelope, deer, elk, and Dall Sheep with this little honey. Yes, a .243 is fine for big game with a good bullet and confidence in yourself and your rifle. "Brush Busting Calibers" do not exist. Any bullet can be deflected by a twig. I am currently upgrading my 788 with a new stock, bluing, eliminating the clip, etc. When I am done I will have put about $600 into the rifle. I got it for my 12th birthday in 1976. Dad paid $99.95 new. I will never sell it so I am fixing it the way I want it!
  6. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Good for you. As I said in my earlier post these guns were very accurate with the rear lock up I read. Glad you have had yours so long as it has cherished memories and is a fine caliber. yes his price with scope does make it probably Closer to the $500 value. I cannot believe prices of some of the new 700s and 1100s. My next will be a Model 760 in 243 Win. for whitetails. Best Wishes.
  7. Klamathlake

Klamathlake G&G Newbie

The 760 is a fine rifle. I am a bolt action kind of guy for rifles. That said, my hunting buddy uses one in .270 and loves it. Considering that Remington has sold millions of 870's I think it is safe to say they know a bit about pump actions. I know an entire family (3 generations) that only hunt with 760's in 30-06. They extensively use horses and like how the 760 fits into a scabbard under the skirt similar to a Win 1894. They shoot a LOT of BIG bulls somewhere in Idaho and/or Oregon most years. On public land. They won't tell me where but I think it is in Hell's Canyon on the Snake River. I have some other fine rifles; a pre 64 in 30-06, a Shultze and Larson in 7mm Mag, and even a custom Sako in .450 Ackley. I thought that I would grow up to be Peter Hathaway Capstick but ended up more like Elmer Fudd. That Ackley cracked the stock on the first shot. Fixed it and shot some "light" loads at rockchucks. About 5 shots worth. Never since, never again. It's just too pretty of a rifle to get rid of though. May rebarrel someday if I get bored. Have a 700 varmit in 22-250 also. Funny thing is, when I want to just go shoot or even just handle a gun the 788 always ends up in my hands. It just feels so darn good......
  8. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Know what you mean. Never owned a pump and like the looks of the 760 especially BDL with basketweave checkering. Only come in 308 and 30-06 I believe. Would enjoy shooting something without all the kick. 243Win seems to be the answer.
  9. Klamathlake

Klamathlake G&G Newbie

I don't know what calibers they come in anymore. My buddies is a .270 and has pretty tame recoil. The .243 is a great caliber but might not be for everyone. I was pretty recoil shy when I started hunting and it was the answer for me. I know exactly what it and I can do, otherwise now I might lean towards something a bit heavier. I have never shot one but the 6.5 loads coming out look very interesting. Don't need one but when did that ever stop us?
  10. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Ha! know what you mean. Can always come up with a reason to add another one.
  11. Klamathlake

Klamathlake G&G Newbie

Right now I am eyeing muzzle loader kits. Never have even shot a muzzle loader! Just looks like a good tinkering around sport. Bowhunting was great for tinkering around with stuff but that's out until I get my shoulder fixed. The VA sure ain't in no hurry......