Remington/Spartan double rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by thrillbilly, Oct 15, 2009.

1. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

I read an article today concerning the Spartan Baikal double rifle in 45/70. They are imported through Remington as far as I can tell. I have google searched everything I can think of and went to the Remington site. I can't find the site for spartan firearms anywhere! I was interested in how much these things were, or what the model# or name was.
    Does anyone know the website for these guns?

I think it used to be spartangunworks.com but that is showing up as a nonworking/deleted site.
  2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Just go to the Remington site. They are under their SPR line of shotguns and rifles. I have never handled their rifles but I have shot their shotguns. Solid and reliable. OK fit and finish. The price is starting to get up to questionable but they are still great solid rugged firearms.
  3. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

I own a Rem branded SPR 453 which is the Baikal MP 153. It is a good shotgun cheap auto loader, never jamed but as tex says fit and finish is just ok. I had to take a dremel to the lifter (or at least I think that is what it is called) because the edges were so sharp it was actually shaving off shell, skin and thumbnail while loading it. The action is not as smooth as say a remington 870 or 1100 but that can also be polished up but it will never be quite as nice. Its a great gun for the price and I would buy it again, because functionally it is perfect.
  4. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

I do believe that Spartan rifles are made by ARMSCOR...I could be wrong. ARMSCOR makes the Spartan Pistol for STI.
  5. thrillbilly

I've been to the Remington site...I've spent 30 minutes looking through it for Spartan rifles...the only thing I can find is the spartan shotguns. This is exasperating...I just read a article in this month's gun mag about them...so I know they make them. Grrrr I hate when the intergooglyweb won't give me what I'm looking for.

I found this on Gunbroker...they say Remington aint importing the rifles anymore...could explain their absence on the Remington website. I'm really wanting one in 45/70...have no idea what I'd do with it, but I want it LOL.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=143125749
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  6. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

7. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Best rifle in 45/70 is the Marlin 1895SBL. Hands Down. There is NO better rifle out there in that caliber.
  8. thrillbilly

I've been looking at the Marlin Guide rifle awhile now Shrek...I will pick one up if/when I find a deal I can't refuse. I want one in .450marlin though.
    I wonder if that Spartan would be strong enough to rechamber for the .450marlin?
  9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I wonder why you would want a .450Marlin?With its extra wide belt that is the only cartridge you can fire in the chamber and the .45-70 loaded right just about does the same thing.I wonder how available .450mar.ammo is.>45-70 is quite common. ,,,sam.
  10. thrillbilly

Really? From what I understood you could shoot the 45/70 in the .450M. I figured buy the magnum and shoot the 45/70s in it unless I wanted even more oomph for bears or somesuch. Kinda the same reasoning as buying a .357 instead of a .38...can always shoot .38s in a .357 but ya can't never shoot the Mags in a .38! LOL
    If that is the case...I'd just buy the 45/70 then. I'm not casting slander on your word by the way sam...just hadn't heard that before.
  11. thrillbilly

I like this! A new model from Marlin...I didn't even see a .450 listed, so they may not even offer it anymore anyways.
    Marlin Model 1895M in 450 Marlin
    I'd like it better in walnut and blued steel though.