Removing Mosin barrel bands

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ChronoCube, May 1, 2009.

1. ChronoCube

ChronoCube G&G Newbie

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the barrel bands from a M91/30 without putting undue stress on the wood. What tools and techniques are there to hold the bands loose when removing them, so they don't scratch the wood?
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Thats just the way Mosin Bands are...You might try a bit of vaseline rubbed on the wood...other than that they need a friction fit so DO NOt spread them.
    Rich
  3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

i dont even think the russians know how to do it, they assemble the rifle, then varnish over everything.
  4. HK770

HK770 G&G Enthusiast

Was doing a refinish on the stock used vasoline to lube band. Held band retainer down with C clamp long enought to get band over retainer. Used small hammer and dowell to tap band over retainer. Took some time and two of us to get this done.

luck
  5. Ken in Iowa

Ken in Iowa G&G Enthusiast

Use a screwdriver as a wedge to spread the band. Snap rings pliers can help too, but the screwdriver method is better for me.
  6. Espresso

Espresso G&G Newbie

i use a plastic dowell to push the barrel band up so i don't scratch the wood
  7. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

I just pushed the retainer down with my fingers and used a screwdriver to pry the band over enough that it held the retainer down itself...then later found and easier way. The one on the muzzle end will come off mine pretty easy and the first time. So I take that one off. The other one was a pain until I figured out I can just slide the entire barrel guard down a half inch then hold the band in place with my hand and slide the guard back. After than it's down the stock plenty enough to simply pull off using hands...or maybe my hands are stronger than usual...
  8. arkady

arkady G&G Newbie

Same here. But note that this method seems to work a lot better on a 91/30 than it does on any of my M44s. Bands seem to be tighter on the M44s for some reason.
    I'm just about ready to buy a pair of snap ring pliers. I have an M44 whose front handguard needs some attention.
  9. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

You don't need to get so fancy. I do it with a little block of wood, some lithium grease and the screwdriver from the cleaning kit.

Put the grease on the wood in front of the barrel band. Press down the barrel band spring with the screwdriver so the high part is below the wood surface of the forearm. Use the block of wood to hammer and/or push the barrel band forward until it slides freely. You're done.

Now if you want to get them off completely, you either have to spread them if they are spring-loaded; or you have to remove the front sight if they are not by drifting it all the way out of the front sight base. But that's another matter.
  10. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Enthusiast

flat blade screwdriver and some elbow grease. worked on both of mine. putting some vaseline seems like it would help too. try expanding the rings with the screwdriver then just tap it off
  11. Savage7

Savage7 G&G Newbie

+1 that is the way i get them off of my M-44, My 91/30 i can take them off with my hands
  12. LeftHandShooter

LeftHandShooter G&G Enthusiast

Use a pair of wire cutters, and then when re-assembling use wire tie strips to hold it in place.
  13. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I just cut them off and used silver soldier to repair them. Super glue works too...smirk
  14. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

Silver soldier eh? :D

Sometimes I have to use a flat head screwdriver to get some of mine off. And even wedge it on the stock with the rear band on a 91/30 to get it started. Most will come off with just my hands. But some are harder than others to remove. Just depends on the fit I guess.
  15. 7.62x54r

7.62x54r G&G Newbie

i use a plastic pen and a heavy object to slap them off. (the shellac is in fragile condition)