Removing Rust

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Halmech, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Halmech

Halmech G&G Enthusiast

I have an Stevens single shot .410 and I would guess it to be at least 30 years old. It has ridden behind the seat of a pickup truck for most of its life also has hung on a gun rack in the house. It has not had much TLC it is quite rusty. I am wondering does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning the rust off of the barrell and reciever. The gun is fully functional as I take it on nightly missions for skunks and armadillos in my yard. Would just like to clean it up a bit and give it a little TLC. Thanks for any advice you may have.
  2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Best thing I have found is a green scotchbrite pad and gun oil. Put a little oil on the pad and scrub her good. Should take the rust off with out harming the finish (if there's much left) off.
  3. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

After you get the rust off I'd get it duracoated matte black. Then you wont have to worry about rust from the lack of maintenance.
  4. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

5. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Regular

RB17, good product. You can also use its twin Blue Wonder Cleaner....both products based on same formula.

If you have stubborn rust, old trick is to use edge of an old Nickle (5 cent piece), not the new layered ones, to gently scrape off rust. Old nickle soft enough not to hurt metal.
  6. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Kroil

go to the Kroil website. They have proven industrial grade products for making rust dissolve away.
  7. Halmech

Halmech G&G Enthusiast

Lots of great advice and information. Thank You!!