Rifle/shotgun combo

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by NHmsj, Oct 22, 2007.

1. NHmsj

NHmsj G&G Newbie

I'm seriously interested in putting my hands on an over/under rifle/shotgun combo. I've read up a bit on the Remington SPR94 22lr/.410 and pretty much think I want to go with it. However, before I do, I'd love to hear what others think about this gun - or any other combo for that matter. Anyone have any advice or insight they'd care to share on this matter, and the SPR94 in particular?
  2. rfc357

rfc357 G&G Newbie

Combination guns are compromises. I had a Savage O/U .22/20 guage. The trigger was not good enough to produce any real accuracy with the .22. These guns are attractive for survival use, but are not really satisfactory for anything else.

European combination guns are much higher quality than US guns, at a much higher prce.

No experience with the Remington. You get what you pay for.
  3. Triggerjerk

Triggerjerk G&G Newbie

I personally do not care for the concept...but if I was gonna get one I'd go for a 20 gauge.
  4. SilentSoul

SilentSoul G&G Newbie

I do not really see the point. I would rather have a good quality .22 and shotgun, than a mediocre combo that I cannot hit anything with.
  5. dtk1952

dtk1952 G&G Newbie

I had a Savage 24 in .22 magnum over 20 gauge at one time. This was back in the late 1960's. As far as I was concerned it was an excellent firearm. More dove and quail hit the frying pan with this shotgun than any other shotgun I've ever had. And many a squirrel, rabbit have also hit the frying pan using the rifle. Even though these other folks say that it is mediocre, I wish that I still had mine. Mine was well made, trigger crisp and easy selection of which barrel to fire. Now they cost too much to think about buying a used one.
  6. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

In general,

rifle/shotgun combos are interesting. Savage has made a great many of them over the years. They do have a history of getting the job done at shorter ranges such as on a farm or perhaps in dense woods.

However, they are not exactly a big success in longer range shooting situations. I rather think the amount of money it would take to build in this type precision would make the gun cost prohibitive for the customers.

So, if it is short range (and I do mean short range), this type gun might be a winner for you. Just do not expect too much from it in other hunting/shooting situations.
  7. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

Same gun, same experiences. Can't think of a better gun for varmint birds.
  8. Pope130

Pope130 G&G Regular

I'm quite happy with my Savage. It's a 24V, 22Mag over 410, 1964 production. I use it for varmint and camp shooting where the longest sight line is about 75 yards. Handy, accurate and completely reliable.

Robert
  9. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Had a Savage 22lr/.410 when I was 10 years old. Great little gun.;)
  10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I had a Savage M24 as a young boy, and have one now. Mine shoots well and is minute of rabbit.
  11. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Enthusiast

I saw a Savage 24F .223 Rem/12 gauge combo in the local gun store. I can't imagine a better coyote gun if you could only bring one firearm. Best thing you can do is have your rifle in hand and your shotgun right beside you in case they come in really close, really fast, but if I could only bring one it would be that Savage 24F. Great survival gun as well.
  12. SwedeSteve

I think the 22Mag/20Ga would be an ideal trade-off as far as power vs weight.
  13. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I almost bought a drilling at a show years ago. Rimfire, centerfire, and shotgun, with the rimfire barrel to the side and the shotgun barrel below. It was pretty fancy, and the calibers were strange to me, some European mix with which I was not familiar.

Had a .22/410 Savage. I agree, it's a nice piece.
  14. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

I think Tack may have the right caliber combo for a survival gun setup. If you're someplace where there are deer (and what suburban environment doesn't have the damned things, these days? the clearance we do to build home creates an ideal 'edge' environment for them), you could use a 12 gauge slug to take them, and the .223 would do for things like woodchuck, rabbit, squirrel and similar small game. Plus, of course, you'd have the 12 gauge barrel for game birds with birdshot.

Tack, does the Savage 24F come with ghost ring sights?
  15. SwedeSteve

Nope, but it would be easy to put one on.
  16. Dempsey

Dempsey G&G Newbie

The Savage M24 is the best compromise gun out there. Yup, it is a compromise.
    But in my humble opinion, it is a good one.

I have several, but my favorite is the shorter M 24C, (Camper).
    .22 LR/20 gauge 3 " improved. OA length is 35.5 inches.

No single gun is more versatile.

There is a reason few are ever sold....

-Dempsey
  17. SwedeSteve

Can't argue with that.
  18. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

+1 i agree with this very much

and i want one so bad.... but only one ive found localy was beat up so bad it was not worth getting
  19. ALR

ALR ][][][% Forum Contributor

I have a 22lr/20ga Savage O/U, 22 is very accurate with the open sights using Super X. Shotgun is very accurate using sights, shoots right on!
    Might keep in jeep for GP.
    Bought it from my Mom when my dad died of cancer.
  20. ke4sky

ke4sky G&G Newbie

I have a Savage Model 24C "Camper's Special" with 20 inch barrels, .22 LR over a cylinder bore, 20-ga. with 2-3/4 inch chamber. It has been our hunting camp utility gun for many years and has bagged lots of small game and birds, as well as multitudes of varmints and errant empty food cans.

The .22 LR barrel is accurate enough for what it is. You can hit a soup can at 50 yards with the open sights any time you want. Firing deliberately off the bench at 50 yards it groups about 2 inches with high velocity solids and a bit better with the subsonic stuff.

The 20-ga. barrel patterns effectively for hunting small game and birds at short woods ranges within 25-30 yards. A short barrel with open choke is easier to hit grouse and woodcock with than a longer, tighter-choked gun. The cylinder bore shoots skeet patterns, so shot no larger than #6 (225 pellets per ounce) should be used to ensure adequate pattern density for small game. For birds either 7/8 oz. of No. 8 or 1 ounce of 7-1/2 which give a pellet count of about 350 per shell are best.

Brenneke 2-3/4 inch slugs are most accurate, but this brand is hard to find in other than 3 inch. Slugs fired in the shotgun barrel strike low if you use the narrow front blade of the sight using the same sight picture you would with the .22. So ignore the narrow blade and instead bring the triangular base of the front sight up into the rear notch, then slugs shoot to point of aim. The Brennekes shoot 3 inch groups or less at 50 yards, Winchester about 4 inches and Remingtons or Federals will only stay in a bucket.

The only 20-ga. buckshot load available in the 2-3/4 inch length is 20 pellets of #3 buck. In the cylinder bore this load doesn't pattern tightly enough for deer beyond about 15-20 yards, but it would be an effective close-in defensive load. The longer barrel Model 24DL has a full choke and might be better foor some users, but I am happy with the cylinder bore.

Later Savage 24-Vs were offered in center-fire rifle calibers such as the .357 Magnum, .30-30 or .222 Remington in the top barrel with either a 3-inch magnum 20-ga. or 12-ga. barrel underneath. Some of the 12-ga. versions were offered with screw-in chokes. I would love to find one.

If you want a combination gun for your hunting camp or aircraft survival kit the Savage 24 is the best there is.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009