Rossi .357 model 461 Inexpensive CCW

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by Gunfighter, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Gunfighter

Gunfighter G&G Newbie

I just bought this gun for 275.00 brand new in the box. Small frame snub nose in .357 magnum. I am gonna shoot it soon and post a yay or nay. I believe periodically firing this gun will be alright but I'm not sure about any kinda torture test. This is just gonna be my summer CCW. Any thoughts on Rossi? This is my first.
  2. JDubia

JDubia G&G Regular

I have a Rossi 462 which is the same model in stainless (I think). It's a bit heavy, but overall a good revolver. Heavy ain't necessarily bad when shooting a .357magnium.
    I also have a S&W 360PD that I can't stand to shoot with .357mag. It is great with .38spcl.
    My Rossi handles .357 magnum great. The cylinder will sometimes stick when I shoot .38 special cast lead SWC. (158gr.)
  3. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

Rossi is a well made inexpensive gun. They are made by Taurus and other than the name are pretty much the same gun. I like them a lot.
  4. Rebel Hog

Rebel Hog G&G Newbie

I bought a Rossi 971 .357 "Competition" in 1996 and it's been an awesome revolver.....

[​IMG]
  5. Rebel Hog

Rebel Hog G&G Newbie

I was born and raised until 11years old in Key West.....Lived on Catherine between Packer and Margret..
  6. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Well made, good materials, just not the highest level of finish as on more expensive brands. Good utility gun, something you don't need to worry about too much if it gets a little scratch or some such on it.
  7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I reload everything and load equivelant to .38spl +P for CCW as at 10ft I am quite confident it is enough.I can handle the load pretty darn good practicing and do so a lot.Carrying a light stubby with full .357mag loads might limit my practice.They keep banging the second knuckle up on my fingers both left and right.I would rather carry what I practice with and not be limited in practice. (I'm one of those "WIMPS" that when something hurts I quit doing it.)
  8. Gunfighter

Gunfighter G&G Newbie

LOL! Most of the guys I have talked to around here load their 357's with the 38special +P. The folks at the gun store keep trying to get me to just buy 38+p and I keep telling them... I have a S&W m10-8 38 special and I am well stocked up on those. Just let me buy some 357's for pete's sake! LOL! I really like having the option by owning a 357 now. I just bought some gold dot "short barrel" 135g JHP's. My question is...what makes them "short barrel"??? They are the same length as my other 357 ammo. What gives?? Can somebody help me with that?
  9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The "short barrel" bullets are supposedly designed to give comperable expansion/penetration at lower velocities because of the power drop in short barrels.No experience with them but I would guestimate they work well at lower velocities (virtually50%) but might be disasterous (rapid expansion,low penetration) in faster loads in 4"bbl,s.
  10. Gunfighter

Gunfighter G&G Newbie

thanks samuel for clarifying that. you are now my official "go to" guy for ballistics questions! :)
  11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Gunfighter:With so many "GOOD" ones on here I am humbled just to be allowed to post in this forum.These men are "GOOD" and I feel honored to be amongst them.I will bet we are the "GO TO"forum with all the "CORRECT" info on here.Thanks men.
  12. Elvis Is Dead

Elvis Is Dead G&G Newbie

Rossi is a nice little gun at a very low cost. Good budget gun you can rely on.